Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: New to the site... introducing myself  (Read 4850 times)

Offline suzukipride

• Novice
    • View Profile
New to the site... introducing myself
« on: September 21, 2011, 12:30:21 PM »
Hello, glad I found this forum! I'm 23 years old from Connecticut and have been involved with motocross for about 10 years. Been racing for about 5 and just recently moved up to the B Amatuer class at my local club.

I stupidly fell for the 4stroke hype years ago. I had a mint 00' RM125 but I was at the time fascinated by the new sound of the YZ 250 four strokes of the time. Four strokes were still very expensive. I foolishly sold the rm125 and bought a used, beat up, 01 YZ250f from a woods racer. It was all I could afford at the time for a modern 4stroke.

Felt awkward on that bike but I stuck it out. Unfortunately, not long after buying it, I had transmission issues, crank issues, etc. I believe the hard life it had before me was a big factor.

Fast forward a few years and I purchased a brand new 08' RMZ250. A great bike but still, I never really felt comfortable 100%.... particularly in corners. I didn't like how 4strokes tended to "stand up". Granted, the RMZ did transition me from just the weekend woods warrior to motocross quite well. But I was still not satisfied. Haven't had any mechanical issues with it to this day (after normal maintenance of course).

There are a few die hard 2 strokers still left at the local club. I was always amazed at the true sound of motocross, the smell of premix, and how they were just flowing so darn well, especially in corners.

I found a one owner 07' RM125 a few months back and jumped on it! BEST decision ever. I finally feel comfortable, particularly in corners!

Never had so much fun before on a bike. Also, may speed has increased tremendously because cornering is THE name of the game!

Offline suzukipride

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: New to the site... introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 12:35:38 PM »
Also, I truely believe if I stayed on my first rm125 instead of foolishly falling for the hype.... I would have excelled in skill much quicker.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 01:25:37 PM »
Good move. :)
Welcome.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 01:49:39 PM »
And another one see's the error in his ways...   :P  Welcome to the site. 
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline xandyx

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 05:54:14 PM »
that's an awesome bike you have there. i've been thinking of selling my cr 125 and go for a suzuki.

by the way, forget about the thumper engine and build a rm125af, that would be a hell of a bike!

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:55:55 PM »
Good to see ya smokin again suzukipride   8)
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 02:25:47 AM »
that's an awesome bike you have there. i've been thinking of selling my cr 125 and go for a suzuki.

by the way, forget about the thumper engine and build a rm125af, that would be a hell of a bike!
xandyx had the same idea as me , turf the 4poke engine and bolt in the 2 smoker! That would very nice. Very tidy 125 though and welcome aboard
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 09:24:48 AM »
Welcome to the site, and real MX. :)

Offline suzukipride

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 10:38:43 AM »
Thanks guys, the bike really is awesome. Immediately after purchasing it and riding it a few times, I found a great deal via Ebay for new fmf factory fatty and silencer all for $200. I couldn't pass, called FMF for their jetting specs, increased the Main jet, and bike runs ever better now.

When I first got the bike, everyone told me to bore it, stroke it, port, etc. I believe in keeping the true size and factory internals. How they come factory IMO is what makes a 2stroke so great. For example, one of the fastest guys at the track, who recently earned his AMA pro license, was kicking major BUTT on a bone stock (besides suspension mods I believe) yz125. This bike just looked plain boring. Granted, he was THE fastest person out of the entire club.

An alum. framed 2stroke Suzuki sounds sweet, but I'd sell the RMZ and get an RM250 before doing that! haha
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:42:04 AM by suzukipride »

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 01:13:47 PM »
I don't understand the preocupation people have with Alloy frames.
The RM is 1 of the best handling bikes you can buy. Period.
An Alloy framed RM might look good but would it handle any better ?
How different are the frame geometry's ? , Would it actually be any lighter ?.

I would stick with the stock frame until someone can convince me a RMZ framed RM was better then stock.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 01:35:11 PM »
X2.Aluminum just looks more modern and blingy.Kudos to KTM for sticking with chromoly.
Welcome aboard.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 10:28:59 AM »
Great find, looks mint. If your looking for a cool video of a 125 specilist , that is having a on day. Watch 98 Unadilla  125 1st moto Ithink. Robby Renard  runs everyone down,including RC, then pulls away and makes it look easy. One of the best 125 rides of all time.

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 07:51:05 PM »
Great find, looks mint. If your looking for a cool video of a 125 specilist , that is having a on day. Watch 98 Unadilla  125 1st moto Ithink. Robby Renard  runs everyone down,including RC, then pulls away and makes it look easy. One of the best 125 rides of all time.

Do you have a link??

Anyways... That 125 is mint! Wish I had a bike like that!
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline overthebars

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 08:17:32 PM »

Do you have a link??

Anyways... That 125 is mint! Wish I had a bike like that!
1998 Unadilla 125 MX Moto 1

Offline suzukipride

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 07:33:30 AM »
Awesome video! Thanks for the link.

Took the RMZ out for a ride yesterday. Realized the old 4stroke bog I've been trying to chase away never magically did. That's another nice advantage to the two stroke, a much simplier carb. Based on some engine mods, both internal and bolt-on with the RMZ, the carb just can't compensate. So I've spent lots of money on jet-kits and accelarator pump covers which has gotten me nowhere. Was debating on which bike to race this Friday, and that ride on the RMZ clearly made the decision....

TWO STROKE!