Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2001 Cr 125 roach project!!  (Read 2984 times)

Offline JPond53

• View Profile
2001 Cr 125 roach project!!
« on: September 15, 2011, 10:31:36 AM »
Just picked up a 2001 Cr125 roached out by some goons for 450 duckets! When I got it it had old super sun faded plastics (like the fenders and shrouds had WHITE parts where it should be red) monster graphics for a Kawasaki, who even does that???, tires were all dried out and cracked, renthal twin walls without the crossbar, the stock head pipe had metal welded on the outside for reasons unknown lol. The ONE thing goin for this bike was that it had Applied triple clamps. So I instantly hit up eBay, got a stock plastics kit (shrouds and fenders) for $40 shipped and an FMF Fatty and shorty combo for another $170. Got a crossbar mounted off an old pair of bent bars, new sprocket and chain, new front number plate, greased all the bearings, CLR'd the frame and engine from some type of corrosion (cleaned up hella nice!), new tires front and back, new front brake pads, new fork oil (old stuff was like dark grayish color no bueno) and a new throttle cable. Spent about $300 so far and a total days worth of work. I have everything but the exhaust which shows up today I got ancy in the pantsy and took it out riding yesterday at a local track rode for about 20 minutes hard and it was smoking for about 30 minutes from the goons who had it before had it loaded up. I'll post pics of the progress later today and the end result after I get the exhaust on!

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
Re: 2001 Cr 125 roach project!!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 11:09:10 AM »
Awesome cant wait to see what it looked like when ya got it, some people have no idea
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 12:46:18 PM »
Welcome. I loooove bike builds, keep us posted with lots of pics!
2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline JPond53

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 10:42:11 PM »
The front fender is really a white one but I think its off a Yamaha lol...but the plastics are way worse in person...you can see the more red parts where the wrong graphics were and the pic of the bike in the garage of the right side is when I got the new plastics on and then the next ones are when I sparyed it down with CLR. But ill post some more pics tomorrow of the near end result!

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 11:24:26 AM »
Nice, looks like ya scored a bargain.

05 CR 250

Offline JPond53

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 12:10:31 PM »
Well got the new FMF Fatty and Shorty mounted and rode the bike on the pala national track and long story short blew the rear shock seal...anyone know where I can find some info on how to rebuild it? I've never done a stick but I have done forks a couple times any info would be great! Thanks guys!

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 04:51:23 PM »
Sweet looking bike.Shocks aren't that difficult.Just do a search and you should get lots of info.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline JPond53

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 05:11:12 PM »
I've been searching for a good day now and I've been seeing that I need special tools? Some places say yes and some no...from what I read after you get the shock off the hardest part is finding a place with nitrogen to fill it up? Other than that it's not much different than a fork leg right?? ???

Offline JPond53

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 07:00:22 PM »
Heres a recent picture I took of it saturday after putting the new FMF exhaust on. Bike turned out found out that one of the compression clickers was seized so I put some PB in there let it sit and then heated it up and it works great again! I was super close to getting my suspension fully dialed in and then the damn shock blows...oh well got all the adjustments saved!

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 07:44:38 PM »
Shocks arent too hard to pull apart i know that much, i take it you know how to remove the spring? Once thats done the bottom of the shock pops off, then inside it theres a circlip, remove that and pull the shaft out. The very bottom unscrews from the shaft and you can get the seal off that way instead of removing the shim stack from the top.
Thats as far as i got, but ive heard you fill it with oil thru the top after removing the compression valve and bleed like you would a fork, fill me in on how ya go with it.

Cheers Scotty :-)

05 CR 250

Offline JPond53

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 08:51:03 PM »
As a matter of fact I do know how!  ;D but yeah thanks for the info I think I'll get started on rippin the shock apart tomorrow afternoon! I'll try and post some pictures and whatever to keep you guys updated with the ongoing project of this little diamond in the rough.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 11:07:58 PM »
Sorry, i got the impression you werent too sure how to pull one apart!
Just tryin to help,
Good luck to ya.......

05 CR 250