Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Why aren't more guys going EFI?  (Read 3218 times)

Offline Premixed

• View Profile
Why aren't more guys going EFI?
« on: September 12, 2011, 10:49:39 PM »
Maybe this is old news.  And if it is, I apologize in advance.  But, the road-going two stroke fanatics, who are swapping the RG500 Yamahas and RG500 Suzuki motors (if you can find one) into the 250 two stroke street bikes (TZR250 yamaha, RG250 suzuki) are fuel injecting them on microsquirt, which is a megasquirt product.  the ecu is the size of a cellphone.

here is a microsquirt'd RD500 YZR500 replica.  if you dont know, modded, these things make anywhere from 120-140hp and stand straight up in every gear.

hybrid's YZR500 Replica

again, maybe old news, but check it out.  it just seems like the MX guys talk about EFI like it is voodoo, where as the road guys have actually been fuel injecting two strokes since the early 90s.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Why aren't more guys going EFI?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 11:54:11 PM »
The owner of the RZ500 has taken the fuel injection off and installed carbs. Can add an ignition and see better gains without all the set up drama's just throw the biggest jet that will still pull on top and start throwing advance at it. Ignitions now can trim air solenoids and individualy tune each cylinder, great for the RZ and RG 500. Job done.

Offline Shawn36

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 04:46:34 AM »
It seems like an unneeded complication for MX to me personally.  It adds everything I didn't want to my 2-stroke which is cost, weight, and complexity.  IMHO our sport should be going the other way.  We should have bare bones old world tech starter bikes for half the price of a 450.  Modern race bikes should be worried about refining the tech that got racing to this point instead of bolting on EFI, launch control, forms of traction control, adjustable maps, ect.  It's a novelty to need my $1,000 laptop to adjust my EFI at the track, but honestly I'd rather swap out a $2 jet. 

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 07:12:04 AM »
http://youtu.be/q6ar3c2y80A

This among other things...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:28:38 AM by Suzuki TS250/185 »
I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 07:41:10 AM »
I once spoke to a hot rodder who built street cars using the Ford 4.6 motor as a basis. This guy was in his early 60's and the cars he made were fuel injected,had electronic ignition and were very impressive.I asked him what his thoughts were on modern technology like fuel injection and he said that while the technology was different,the principles were the same and that it was just a matter of learning and understanding these changes.And you know he was right, one shouldn't be afraid of change but rather adapt to it.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 03:14:02 PM »
 I've posted that video a while back and nobody seemed to care. It follows the same principle as High Gain Tuning port injection set up but uses throttle bodies from a street bike instead.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 03:18:06 PM by factoryX »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline Premixed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 03:42:47 PM »
old world tech starter bikes for half the price of a 450? we have those.

they are called:
TTR 125
CRF150F
KLX110

and if those are not racey enough, there are plenty of steve lamson-era CR125s floating around, if you need the USD forks, radiators and disc brakes.

of the things you listed, they fall into 2 categories. 1. performance enhancements. 2. rider aids.  i agree we should not be wasting time/money on rider aids, but performance? why not. 

emig's sr250 had traction control in 96-98, btw. nothing new.  mick doohan's nsr500 was fuel injected in 94-onward.