Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: possibly the most dangerous 2 stroked toy made!  (Read 4644 times)

Offline sam venables

• Novice
    • View Profile
possibly the most dangerous 2 stroked toy made!
« on: August 23, 2011, 02:08:44 AM »
goin bak a fair few years i remember having a honda trike, quite popular aswel which got me into the 3 wheel attraction (fatal attraction!), it only had a lame 100 or 125 in it but it was damn fun bombing round the farm on when ya only 10! eventually it fell to bits and was forgot about. A chance came up about 6 years ago to buy a yamaha tri-z250 trike and we bought it! Fun? it was bloody dangerous, so yeah! a hell of alot fun, you could lift the front wheel in 3rd with a freind on the bak (extra traction!) and turning was done with power and back wheels. Needless to say i took out a few barbwire fence runs with the thing, and not many of my freinds would even get on it. ha ha ahh the memories of that thing still makes my addranaline run! sadly some low life scum nicked it. Im sure they were banned from production in America, dont kno why ::) lol anyone else ridden or got one? seen one for sale, was mint and i mean mint but £5000  :o

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: possibly the most dangerous 2 stroked toy made!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 08:11:32 AM »
I sold a Tri-Z250 Yamaha from my business once.

From what I understand manufacturers could no longer obtain insurance to sell the 3 wheelers in North America and that pretty much finished them off.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 06:06:58 PM »

a Sthil with 14,000 rpm must be fun :D

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 03:41:04 AM »
I always loved Hotsaws and fully intend to build one if I can ever get clear of "necessary" projects.
As for Yama-trikes.My local Yamaha dealer(and good off roader and ex-road racer) tried them when they first came into his shop and declared them as being the most dangerous machines he'd ever ridden.As far as I know,he never rode one again.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline sam venables

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 04:59:16 AM »
lol i know, i can fully understand your dealer! the upmost respect was needed to ride the yam trike but buy god i miss it! i remember that an old girlfriend had to walk away because she couldnt watch me ride it cuz it looked terrifying :) she never got on it and neither did a ton of my friends apart from the odd nut! ahh what did that chainsaw rev to originally? kick back lol a nice hot 2 stroke pipe in ya face and at 14,000 rpm i bet it does alot of it  :o hum just pondering got a kx pipe in the barn, i feel anuva lil project on take off!!!!

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 05:42:41 AM »
I don't imagine protection would do much with a hotsaw.

4-26 Hotsaw training

Or the 4t version.Seems kind of heavy,I guess the 2t/4t thing is the same regardless of machine  :D

HOTSAW showdown at the SULTAN SHINDIG

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 08:14:50 AM »
Years ago I was walking down a street in Hamburg,Germany when I spied a moped in a shop window.What caught my eye was the after market expansion chamber exhaust that wrapped around the moped's engine like a snake.Later I returned to Canada and,in a university industrial design class,I built a high performance chainsaw with an integrated expansion chamber exhaust - just like that moped I saw in the window.The project was based on a Dolmar 120.

Who the heck would make a hot saw with a 4T engine? A 2T snowmobile engine would generate more torque with half the weight.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 03:10:17 PM »
It's worse than you think.If you search it,some guy made one out of a CRF450.
Shame on you Sachs-for not noticing the first one is a Rotax-tsk,tsk,tsk. :D

Offline yo_marc

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 09:26:25 AM »
HotRod magazine had an article ages ago about a Flathead Ford V8 hotsaw.  Pretty neat :)  Took two people to run it..
'00 RM250
'88 TRX250R

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 07:24:43 AM »
goin bak a fair few years i remember having a honda trike, quite popular aswel which got me into the 3 wheel attraction (fatal attraction!), it only had a lame 100 or 125 in it but it was damn fun bombing round the farm on when ya only 10! eventually it fell to bits and was forgot about. A chance came up about 6 years ago to buy a yamaha tri-z250 trike and we bought it! Fun? it was bloody dangerous, so yeah! a hell of alot fun, you could lift the front wheel in 3rd with a freind on the bak (extra traction!) and turning was done with power and back wheels. Needless to say i took out a few barbwire fence runs with the thing, and not many of my freinds would even get on it. ha ha ahh the memories of that thing still makes my addranaline run! sadly some low life scum nicked it. Im sure they were banned from production in America, dont kno why ::) lol anyone else ridden or got one? seen one for sale, was mint and i mean mint but £5000  :o
Sam when I was 18 or 19 yrs. old I bought a Kawasaki 250 tecate 2-stroke & it was either a '84' or '85' can't remember the exact year but that tryke was bloody dangerous! An old friend of mine who had never ridden a tryke with that kind of power begged me to take a ride on it & I told him that I knew he could ride 2 wheel 2-strokes quite well but this does'nt handle like the Honda cr-250 he used to own or nothing like the Suzuki 230 quadsport that I owned when I was 14-15 yrs. old.
  Nonetheless he said he could ride anything! So I let him take it for a ride up on the mountain I road on @ that time & he was out of eye shot & up on top of the mountain for a lot too long so I sent my buddy up on his Honda 200x 3-wheeler to investigate what was going on & where my ol' buddy who could handle any kind or type of cycle was? A few minutes later my buddy on the 200x came down the mountain & informed me that our so called "I can ride anything guy" was pawling up through a bunch of brier/sticker bushes bloody & maimed looking & that my Tecate was upside down below the bushes with bent handlebars!
  We waited for him to come back down from up on top of the mountain & as he was drifting my 3-wheeler down off of the top I noticed that it was wobbling really bad & I was quite upset to say the least! My self proclaimed ol' buddy that can ride anything was bloody,bruised with a really stupid look on his face & I told him that it looks like you're going to owe me a rear axle,a new set of handlebars & anything else he damaged! I ended up paying out around $120.00 for new bars & to have the rear axle strightened & my Tecate never handled properly after that so I had to sell it cheap & never did get any money out of the guy that wrecked my 3-wheeler!
  I live in Western Maryland & we always had a cardinal rule that if you break it you buy it! Well this old friend of mine never went by that rule so I never have or never will ride with him again & anyway I'm pretty sure he got into drugs really bad & is currently behind bars where he belongs!

Offline Huffieva

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »
I sold a Tri-Z250 Yamaha from my business once.

From what I understand manufacturers could no longer obtain insurance to sell the 3 wheelers in North America and that pretty much finished them off.

Pressure from the CPSC (Consumer products safety commission) began to build in the mid 80's over concerns of three wheeler related incidents (the 20/20 news special was the tipping point) and the manufactures signed a "consent decree" banning the sale of new three wheeled ATV's for ten years (in exchange for not having to issue a recall), in the meantime all the manufactures started building quads... The "consent decree" has since expired and there were a few Chinese companies building prototypes... the CPSC panicked and  and since they had no official right to "BAN" them they included verbiage in the "Lead Law" that states that no new three wheeled ATV's can be sold until a safety standard is adopted by the CPSC... A call to the CPSC will result in you being told that they have no current plans or funding to do such a study (kind of a back door / loop hole ban)

The truth is that three wheelers when ridden correctly are no more dangerous than quads and the majority of the serious and fatal accidents either involved alcohol or drugs and most didn't involve helmets...

In the mid 80's trikes outnumbered dirtbikes for a time the problem was that parents just bought the things and sent their kids off to play with neither the kid or the parent for that matter knowing how to ride them and it always nice to blame your childs injury on something other than your own poor judgement (Welcome to Lawsuit Happy America)

Anyway I currently have (3) Kawasaki Tecate's (1) Tri-Z (Actually my wifes) and a Big Red for doing some lawn and garden work, to go along with all of our bikes and we ride our bikes more than anything... but there is nothing like flat tracking a 40hp 2 stroke "Try Cycle" Hangin' off the inside peg and whipping it sideways into a turn at 40+ mph its pure adrenaline (they cant be that dangerous I've been doing just that for the past almost 30 years)

Rodd

Offline Tharrell

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 10:33:54 AM »
I raced a 1985 ATC250R back then.
MX, flattrack, woods.
When it came to MX and woods racing, the only problem was you had to ride 3 lines whereas a bike uses 1 and a 4 wheeler uses 2.
Flattrack was the most fun though.
That was a heck of an engine to not have a powervalve.
Of course, if you went over the bars it was like a refrigerator chasing you!
Night race leading a TRI Z and TRX250R.

Just got it, check out the old school Moto3!