Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: What's your ride?  (Read 22619 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: What's your ride?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2009, 06:33:43 PM »
After four expensive and not much fun years competing on four strokes,
I just sold my last CRF and decided to return to my roots.  It will be
nothing but two strokes from now on.

Here are a couple of my bikes:

1973 Honda CR250M

!979 Honda CR250R

I am currently scratch building a 1993 Honda CR250 and will post some pictures
on another post

dogger

I had both a 1978 and 1979 Honda CR250R's in those years. At the time they at least looked just like the factory bikes. They just were so cool! Anyone remember the Claw Action tires that were mounted on the 1979 CR's?

1978 Honda CR250 with Fox Air Shox, doing my Marty Smith impersonation! Walden 1978.

1976 Suzuki RM250... Fishkill 1977.

1979 YZ125 with 100cc cylinder, Simons Forks and Fox Airshock. Photo taken in 1980.

1980 YZ125 - Racing vintage races at Southwick in 2007

One of these days I'm going to have to find and scan some of the other photos I have!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline RM250 Evan

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2009, 07:06:08 PM »
Hello every1!!! I am new to the forum but have been lurking around the site for months. I would like to personally thank the makers for this great site with all the 2 stroke knowledge I can handle.

Here is my baby, an 02 rm125. Sadly its up for sale to fund my new bike.

And here is my new (to me) 06 yz125!!! I just picked this up 2 weeks ago for only 1800!!! The bike is amazing, the bottom end is god like!

Evan
2007 RM250......RIP '92 50z, '87 YZ80, '02 RM125, and '06 YZ125

Braaaaappp!!! 2 Strokes 4 Life!!!

Offline tripleduh

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 08:40:50 PM »
2000 CR250 and 2007 YZ250 ....SWEET SMELLIN'

Offline jft67x

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 12:28:08 AM »
1998 ktm 380 mxc

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2009, 01:08:18 AM »
Hold on, stop the presses.

A 2004 Maico 500?!  I need every detail of this bike that you can possibly provide.  I've heard the 21st-century 500 is the most beastly of 500cc beasts ever created.  Maico Brothers said in their test that it's the only bike of any make they've ever tested which could out-accelerate a 490 Sand Spider in a rolling start.  I would kill to get an air-cooled version of that engine in a '78 bike, but of course that's just an idle candy-store fantasy.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2009, 05:44:42 AM »
JETZcorp - you are in luck!! madscientist is working on writing a long term test on the new style Maico. He tells all the good, bad and confusing about these relatively unknown machines. He is working on polishing up the details and the article will be published soon!

On another note the Maico brand will most likely be available here in the USA at the beginning of 2010. Negotiations are now in process and with any luck there will be an announcement in the coming weeks. The cool part? The new distributor is planning on have test ride days across the country! I can't wait to ride one of those beasts!

Second little tidbit of information that you might be interested in, you can actually buy a brand new 1981 Maico 490 directly from the factory!! I'm sure that the price is high, but it's possible.

That should get your Maico heart boiling a little bit!  ;D
Life is short.

Offline dogger315

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2009, 09:31:03 AM »
Anyone remember the Claw Action tires that were mounted on the 1979 CR's?
All I remember about those tires was to remove them and replace them with something
that worked as soon as you got the bike home.  They didn't work in the Florida sand.
Now, 30 years later, I wish I had kept a set because they are worth their weight in gold
for an OE restoration.

The '78-'80 Red Rockets were the bike to have at the time.  I raced my first year as
a pro on a '78 with good results.  The '78 and '79s became sweet bikes with just a few
modifications.

dogger

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2009, 01:19:01 PM »
The claw action tires on my 1979 CR250 were removed before I even started the bike! I know I replaced the front one with a Metzeler, but I'm kind of fuzzy on what I put out back.

About a year ago I stopped into a local shop and there was a 1979 CR125 sitting on the floor and it still had the original Claw Action tires mounted on it. It brought back memories!

Hey dogger315 - How did you do in the Nationals? Do you have some photos? Which race tracks did you compete on back then? What else did you modify on your CR250R's?
Life is short.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2009, 02:03:24 PM »
1978 and 1979 were the best years in the history of motocross.  When you look across the spectrum at everybody's MX efforts, everybody did it right.  There wasn't a single bad review anywhere to be found.  The Magnum Maicos have the reputation for being the overall best-handling bikes they ever built, having the perfect balance between the turning of a low CoG and enough suspension travel for almost anything.  The Red Rockets are just about the only Hondas I would consider buying if I wasn't boycotting them - they actually look very good and were well-reviewed.  Yamaha finally got their weird monoshock almost totally sorted out and became a major force on the field - the 1979 YZ250 was the most popular test on motorbikearchives.com for quite a while.  There wasn't a bad bike in the bunch.  Even Bultaco pulled out the last great hoorah for the Pursang.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Patrick

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2009, 06:18:50 PM »
2003 YZ125

2006 YZ250

2008 KTM 144SX

1990 CR125 (restoration in progress).

Offline bigbore

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2009, 06:54:45 PM »
1980 YZ 465

A Christmas Present from the ex.I kinda miss her.I don't have any photos of it clean for some reason. ;D

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 01:54:05 AM »
I have a very soft spot in my heart for the YZ465.  It was the bike that made Maico narrow their eyes and say, "Oh yah?  Vell, ve're going to mehk ein 490!"  Aside from that, I think they were the best YZ's ever made.  I hear they were a bit hard to start, but once you got past that you had a great thing going.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline bigbore

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2009, 08:58:09 AM »
Yamaha did a lousy job with the jetting.It took me about 4 months to get it right.Now it takes 3-4 kicks hot or cold.I've had the bike 10 years now and it still brings a big smile to my face.I've raced against modern bikes and did well.Hoelshotted all but the big KTM 520's when the AMA let them run.Some tracks you just stick it in third and roll from there occasionally burping the clutch.Lots of oil (32:1)+VP race fuel=tons of power.Still no fix for the brakes so you learn to turn with the throttle.

Offline dogger315

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2009, 11:50:49 AM »
Hey dogger315 - How did you do in the Nationals? Do you have some photos? Which race tracks did you compete on back then? What else did you modify on your CR250R's?

I never competed in the Nationals.  I started out in the Florida Winter-AM series.  It was good racing on
tracks like Sunshine, Diamond Back, Palm Valley, Hialeah and Gatorback.  I also raced support class (250)
for the Trans-Am, later called the Trans-USA series and any other race or series that had a pay out.

I had a bike and parts deal with a local dealer.  I would head to the races with my van and mechanic,
and whatever I won, that was what we used for food, lodging and gas money.  The factory riders had
started using box vans by now so the pits consisted of passenger vans, box vans and trailers. 

It only lasted two years when I had to decide if I could make a living like this or go to college (which the
parents were pushing).  In 1980 College and a subsequent stint in the military won out and I took a 12
year break from motocross.  When I got back into MX in '92, I had a steep learning curve.  I went from
twin shocks, air cooled, drum brakes to a modern MX bike.  I had to change my riding style and learn
to take advantage of all the improvements.       

The modification we made to my bikes centered around the suspension.  The stock rear shocks were
about as good as the Tiger Claw tires so we replaced them with Fox Airshocks.  The forks were modified
to improve oil flow and bottoming resistance.  The engine was ported, cone pipe, some trick FMF or
Mugen parts were added.  Stronger rims, good tires (Dunlops or Mettzlers), I don't remember everything. 
I do remember the Hondas were generally more reliable than most of the other bikes at the time, I can
vouch for that from the personal experience I had fielding an open class Husky 360 in '77.

I have some film pictures lying around someplace.  One of these days, I'll have to see if I can find and
digitally scan them.

dogger

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2009, 03:55:46 PM »
Hello Everyone,

New Guy here. This is my 185. Not exactly straight up MX material, I know, but as far as I'm concerned, some of the best bikes ever made for what they were desighned to do. These bikes both haul around south Florida for hundreds of miles at a time, always rock solid and trouble free. The 250 is much rougher than the 185, but she's still my sweetie!

I think this things going to be a lot of fun in the Florida Vintage MX races this year at Hardrock Cycle Park and some other places this season, just gotta change those tires.

Thanks,

Jim Hart

I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..