Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Proof of what we say, if all manufacturers made 2 strokes.  (Read 14090 times)

Offline xX JonthE Xx

• Junior
    • View Profile
Re: Proof of what we say, if all manufacturers made 2 strokes.
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 01:03:48 PM »
Can you imagine an open class 2 stroke that revs to the moon?!
Hell yeah!

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 01:11:19 PM »
that highly oversquare piston is what put 4 strokes back in motocross, as it allowed them to rev high to find their horsepower. Totally fair in my opinion - a 250cc engine is 250cc no matter how you slice it.

And THAT is the beauty of direct injection. Because now, 2 strokes can be oversquare!! They no longer need to depend on port timing like conventional 2 strokes. Check this out: one of the DI 2 stroke outboards (evinrude etec) is running 433cc cylinders at 91mm bore X 66mm stroke. Not as oversquare as the 450F's, but oversquare nonetheless. Can you imagine an open class 2 stroke that revs to the moon?!   

Unfortunately a 2T engine is always going to rely on the ports and the pipe to do the work.They are the heart an soul of a Two Stroke.Over square dimensions have heavier pistons which severely limit RPM.That's why a 250/450F needs a minimalist slipper piston to survive the RPM the stroke is capable of. Sooner punters get over the DI dream the better because it isn't going to happen, well probably not until Ficht or Orbitals patents expire.
Over square dimensions didn't put the 4T back on the map it was moving away from plain bearing bottom ends to roller bearings in the big end.  

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 01:49:52 PM »
OK, now we are getting into semantics. The roller bearings allowed for the higher rotations capable with the shorter stroke. Improvements in heads and the overall metallurgy also played a role in all this, but the point is that the advancement of 4$ technology to produce more horsepower came at a price and that price is high revs. The tax placed upon that cost of higher revs, regardless of engine design, is reduced reliability.

Back in the day, the 4$ was dead reliable because it was long stroke (compared to a 2T) and turned slowly. Today, the tables are turned with the 4$ having a short stroke and revving to the moon and the 2T being considered reliable precisely because of the lower revs per HP produced.

@2T Institute - Disagree with you completely. DI may not be the answer of all our ills but we will see it and soon. It is already available in outboards and snowmobiles. It is only a matter of time. And the reason may surprise you. They will not produce it for America though we may see it here. It will be produced for the developing markets (India, China, Brazil) where the 2T is more common and emissions more of a concern.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 01:52:40 PM »
I think you guys all got off track here.  Who cares about all that stuff you just chatted about. In MX it comes down to on the track.  The videos all over Youtube show that cc vs cc is very fair racing.  The 4 strokes still are winning all over, but there are more and more 2 strokes coming back.  So from the beginning of this post, when it was stated cc vs cc is equal. I agree.  Maybe not on your charts or calculators, but in the real world.  Neither one of them are whooping up on eachother.  But what my point was, that for cost and other reasons, when someone has to go out and purchase their own bike and pay for parts etc, they chose 2 strokes if they could.  They weren't any faster than they were if they chose the 4 stroke, but they probably have a lot more money in their pockets.  
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline teriks

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 03:05:39 PM »
<snip>
And THAT is the beauty of direct injection. Because now, 2 strokes can be oversquare!! They no longer need to depend on port timing like conventional 2 strokes.
<snip>
Could you please explain how DI could accomplish such a thing?
-It is, after all only another way of delivering fuel, not air, into the combustion chamber.

Offline streaks383

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 03:16:07 PM »
Can someone please explain undersquare and oversquare?  I am having a hard time keeping up.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 05:21:18 PM »
Undersquare - stroke exceeds bore.Example:72mm stroke by 64mm bore 250 2T engine.
Oversquare - bore exceeds stroke.Example:any modern 4T.
Square - bore equals stroke.Example:typical 125 2T.

As 2T Institute has stated a DI 2T would still be governed by port timing,the advantage of a DI 2T is that at lower rpms due to the fuel/air charge being injected into the combustion chamber after the exhaust port is closed you would not experience charge losses out the exhaust port (at low rpm).

This would result in an increase in low rpm torque,and coupled with other efficiencies related to DI,would create a new generation of 2T capable of beating the 4Ts under the present rules.There,I've said it,I think a DI 125 2T could beat a 250 4T (for example) - delusional mensch that I am. ;D

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 08:43:31 PM »
As 2T Institute has stated a DI 2T would still be governed by port timing,the advantage of a DI 2T is that at lower rpms due to the fuel/air charge being injected into the combustion chamber after the exhaust port is closed you would not experience charge losses out the exhaust port (at low rpm).
This would result in an increase in low rpm torque,

Correct.

<snip>
And THAT is the beauty of direct injection. Because now, 2 strokes can be oversquare!! They no longer need to depend on port timing like conventional 2 strokes.
<snip>

Wrong sorry.

- delusional mensch that I am. ;D

Correct  :P
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 10:30:40 PM »
OK, now we are getting into semantics. The roller bearings allowed for the higher rotations capable with the shorter stroke. Improvements in heads and the overall metallurgy also played a role in all this, but the point is that the advancement of 4$ technology to produce more horsepower came at a price and that price is high revs. The tax placed upon that cost of higher revs, regardless of engine design, is reduced reliability.

Back in the day, the 4$ was dead reliable because it was long stroke (compared to a 2T) and turned slowly. Today, the tables are turned with the 4$ having a short stroke and revving to the moon and the 2T being considered reliable precisely because of the lower revs per HP produced.

@2T Institute - Disagree with you completely. DI may not be the answer of all our ills but we will see it and soon. It is already available in outboards and snowmobiles. It is only a matter of time. And the reason may surprise you. They will not produce it for America though we may see it here. It will be produced for the developing markets (India, China, Brazil) where the 2T is more common and emissions more of a concern.

Yeah sure whatever you reckon. 4T engines don't rev to the moon they make peak powerat 11,500 or so 250F

Offline Chris2T

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2011, 11:21:49 PM »
TMKIWI - that's why Evinrude didnt consult you when they were designing their oversquare DI engine. But i admit, i should have said DI's are no longer "fully" dependant on port timing. When the injector releases its spray into the combustion chamber is now at the discretion of the engineer, not the piston

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2011, 12:24:46 AM »
Not in America, its gone to point of being political.

I am in America. Most racers here don't give a hell about the politics of motocross, they just like to ride, race, have fun, and compete! And most of them are coming back to smokers. the top three to five racers in every class here are on smokers.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2011, 12:51:46 AM »
Its besides the point, what I stated was the fact that there are only a few new 2 strokes being sold in the united states today, this goes for ATV's as well. As for political, 2 strokes are considered dirty while 4 strokes are media biased.  :-X Local racing is one thing, Nationally coverage races are another.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2011, 08:01:53 AM »
Yeah sure whatever you reckon. 4T engines don't rev to the moon they make peak powerat 11,500 or so 250F

Sorry, I guess saying the "rev to the moon" is an exaturation. However, many 2T 250's are making peak at about 7.5K. Much lower than the 11.5k revs of the 250F you reference. Rev the 2T that high and you'll think you are going to the moon! A motor making peak hp with less revolutions will generally be more reliable than one spinning faster.

About dirty 2 strokes: I am not going to look it up again so I won't quote, but the 4$ has cleaner emissions in all but 1 measurement, the worst one. However, referencing the engine tested in the report I was reading, the same 2T outfitted with DI made more HP, better fuel economy and MUCH lower emission numbers across the board than the equivalent 4$'s they were comparing it to.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2011, 08:12:40 AM »
I think rev to the moon was more referring to what we know of on older 4 strokes or even current mx 2 strokes.  Take a XR250 and compare the RPM to a CRF250.  You will see it matches approximately with increase in RPM's to power.  Same can be said with 2 strokes. They can be set up to rev much higher, take a look at GP 125's.  BUT, they also have 0 bottom end.  So on an MX track, it would outright be horrible.  But 2 or 4 strokes, to increase peak HP, you can increase RPM's. 
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline teriks

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2011, 08:33:55 AM »
TMKIWI - that's why Evinrude didnt consult you when they were designing their oversquare DI engine. But i admit, i should have said DI's are no longer "fully" dependant on port timing. When the injector releases its spray into the combustion chamber is now at the discretion of the engineer, not the piston
I'll try again...

That injector injects fuel (and depending on injector type, a tiny bit of air to help atomize the fuel) into the combustion chamber, but in order to burn that fuel you need a lot of air, and that air is delivered the same way as it is in a normal carbed two-stroke.  Any improvement in the power spread (due to DI) will be a result of improved engine management.

Now, drastically reduced emissions and reduced fuel consumption aint bad either...