Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: It's gotta be a 450  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Chris2T

• Expert
    • View Profile
It's gotta be a 450
« on: January 31, 2010, 07:11:53 AM »
The biggest in-your-face statement on the superiority of the 2 stroke, the final "I Told You So" that no one could ignore would be to roll out a 450cc 2 stroke. Think about it for a second. Magazines would HAVE to include it in any 450 shootout, if for no other reason than to see how it compares to the supposed fastest mx bikes in the world.
Service Honda, Maico, TM could make their own bold statement to the racing world by ignoring class rules, similiar to what Honda did when they introduced the CRF150R. The CR500 cylinder could be de-sleeved a few millimeters and re-badged as a CR450AF, as could the Maico. Those 3 little numbers would send a stunning message to the world.

Of course, in the pathetic state of denial that the entire AMA body is in, they'd just say that the 450 2T was a "cheater" LOL. The truth hurts

Offline meger z

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: It's gotta be a 450
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »
Honda do what they like, they are the enemy of the 2t and the sport,They seem to have the
arrogance to think they own racing?Well they do in the old 250 gp class'.Thats why they pulled out of F1 because the could not supply all the engines .

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 03:58:35 PM »
I'm thinking a KX500 with there over squared engine could be debored. The KX also has KIPS where the Honda doesn't. And 450 vs 450 ain't cheating, it's right.

As for Honda, they can go f*** themselves. Maybe they should try rally racing. Wait Subaru will kick there ass.HAHAHAHA.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 06:05:57 PM »
Yes, I have been thinking the same thing too, it would be sweet, but the magazines would scramble to come up with excuses to say that they would rather ride the 450 four stroke
I'd rather be riding...

Offline Cable Stretcher

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 06:52:55 PM »
I don't belive that MXA would.  They have made many statements and articles in suport of 2-strokes!

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 07:03:43 PM »
Yes, but i think even in their magazine, I saw some comments def against two strokes, but ya, MXA and Dirt rider are the mags with the most integrity
I'd rather be riding...

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 10:37:36 PM »
Here in Australia a few mags have run such tests, most recently a KTM 250sx vs YZ144 vs 250f (not sure of manufacturer) they didn't go as far as to determine a winner, but provided lap times of each bike, personal preferences of each test riders and rebuild costs, no guess as to which bike was looking the best at the end (4T), but at least they are asking the question.
In the past they have run an article on KTM 450 vs Maico 490 mega 2 (bit of tounge in cheek) and a yz144 vs YZ 250f.
In the open class it would be interesting to see a test between the new KTM 350f and their existing 300 2t
The problem I see with test against 2T's is the mags tend to quote lap times, for most of the test riders this would be their first time on a 2t and of course their lap times would be slower than the 4t they have grown up on. To make it totally fair the test rider should be made to spend 6 months riding just the 2t, then time some laps and see the diff.

Offline toon

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 02:14:16 AM »
Here in Australia a few mags have run such tests, most recently a KTM 250sx vs YZ144 vs 250f (not sure of manufacturer) they didn't go as far as to determine a winner, but provided lap times of each bike, personal preferences of each test riders and rebuild costs, no guess as to which bike was looking the best at the end (4T), but at least they are asking the question.
In the past they have run an article on KTM 450 vs Maico 490 mega 2 (bit of tounge in cheek) and a yz144 vs YZ 250f.
In the open class it would be interesting to see a test between the new KTM 350f and their existing 300 2t
The problem I see with test against 2T's is the mags tend to quote lap times, for most of the test riders this would be their first time on a 2t and of course their lap times would be slower than the 4t they have grown up on. To make it totally fair the test rider should be made to spend 6 months riding just the 2t, then time some laps and see the diff.

From Australia to and the ADB comparo I saw wasn't even the 144 but rather a 125 vs the 250f! Guess which one they favoured....
A good 4 stroke is one that can be switched from 2 stroke to 4 stroke, has no valves and is 2 stroke technology gone wild! Bring on DI 2 strokes I say!

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 06:22:58 AM »
The biggest problem is the media... they claim that they are impartial but they are swayed by many factors. And let's remember something very important here, when you have two people viewing the same race, incident or discussion and you will get two very different reports.

It is just human nature. Here is a little blurb from Racer X from Steve Cox....

When it comes to controversy, the media cannot have a bias. If it does, it skews everything.

The bolding is mine... but in the case of the four-stroke vs. two-stroke debate the media has a great bias and has hurt this sport. Unfortunately in a way that may not be understood for a few more years.

Although I do want to make one important point here.... yes I prefer two-strokes, yes I write and publish articles that show the two-stroke in a positive light... even with that I try my best to maintain an honest approach to reporting.

What do I mean by that? Well if the two-stroke was to be beaten when competing against a four-stroke of equal displacement, I would report that and I would be excited as a fan of racing that it could be done.

Both machines can be fun, but when one requires a handi-cap to compete, it is not fair in any way shape or form. And anyone in the media that ignores that fact is being biased because of outside influences or advertising dollars.

End of rant...
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!