Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: The first time  (Read 11678 times)

Offline MOMSMX47

• View Profile
The first time
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 01:51:20 PM »
you interested in wrenching on the Pro East Coast Lites SX series?  If so let me know...seriously

Hey Forum, wanted a bit of advice/widsom.

I recently earned my Level 3 qualification for Motorcycles, I can now become a technician, it's fantastic! 8)

I'm 22, one thing I've noticed is that a lot of people who either don't finish school or just have an earlier start, begin apprenticeships much younger than me, and so by my age can have a certain level of experience while having been taken under the wing of a garage whilst studying part time.

What's not in dispute is how hard I will work, and how much I love this, you ever seen a rocket launching into space? That's how much I am into this. It's my life now and I will not stop until I reach my goal of designing and building my own vehicles, whether it takes me till 40 or 70, the destination is the same.

One guy I know has suggested very personal approaches to garages, "turning up" and showing in person who I am, offering to work for free for 2 weeks, less risk for them. I am up for this.

Does anyone have any particular advice with regards to my situation? I have some good credentials as "student of the year" and I understand 2 strokes, which we were only taught about at college because I tore the roof down about them.

I would appreciate any advice, and don't hold back, I am willing to do anything to achieve my goal, this is the first step, initial employment.

Kodack
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline Kodackamera

• Novice
  • The future is bright...
    • View Profile
The first time
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2013, 12:16:03 AM »
That would involve me dropping everything in my life, crossing the atlantic and leaving a solid job when I can work on bikes here, even if it's unpaid. Thanks for the offer however, what is that series like? I never say never in life.

I've been having a lot of thoughts and ideas about careers, I am beginning to think that being a mechanic with engines beyond a certain point won't necessarily give me greater ability or influence to do more with vehicles beyond working "on" them. Business skill is needed at a point.

What's the point of me being a two stroke expert, if I could have simply learned to save or reinvigorate them instead through business and industry instead within the same time frame, Id rather be able to influence the future of the two stroke, getting more people using them, instead of "being in the lab" inventing the "ultimate" Dykes ring made of glass and diamond that would never be used and be top secret.

We shall see though, bring on the future.
"The 500 is another world. The bike come from another world."
-Valentino Rossi

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
The first time
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2013, 03:21:04 PM »
Kodackamera start rowing. You are only young once and will regret not taking up the opportunity later in life. ;D

Offline Kodackamera

• Novice
  • The future is bright...
    • View Profile
The first time
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2013, 12:24:02 PM »
Yes, you have to take gambles in life.

After a hiatus of a few months, I've returned to the motorcycle garage part time, skills are a little rusty, but it's all still there. While I have been promised a reference from the guy, I am holding off slightly until I become more proficient with electronics, then I can say I am more adept within electronics.

I've spent alot of the last year in a bit of a weird zone, thoughts running round my head like "you can't do this, or that" Thoughts such as "there is no future" alot of people my age now are getting a bit like this in Britain. I can even see this looking back on this thread, its amazing to have a record of my past thoughts. It feels almost narcissistic even, but I just use it for what it is and perhaps my story can resonate with other young people.

People are starting to talk about me at work, my friends and family and they say "it's a tragedy that such an intelligent, skilled guy, is still spending half his week at a supermarket". A cooler went down last week, I spoke to the technician as I filled the milk fridge, his reaction " :o ??? how do you know about Glycol and cooling systems?" (I'm just a supermarket guy)  hahahah, ;)

Nowadays I'm more positive, looking for opportunities. The advent of 3d printing, has really inspired me as well as recent times with friends and their bikes, four stroke and two stroke. I've started to feel that I am not really a fan of circuit racing, but more of enduro, adventuring, street riding or even road racing. My parents are going through difficulties after a long marriage that has recently turned sour, this has added to the fire of life. I've got a lot of books from my dad, electrical engineering, foundry work etc, all very valuable.

I've had a shift mentally, that has helped me with my martial arts as well. To try new things and not fall into habits, to go further.

I'm off to Brazil in a couple of months, hopefully gonna see bikes there, some alcohol engines also, very excited. Also going to an off-road event for the public to try out brand new models from manufacturers, two strokes are there, gasgas etc. Should be amazing fun.

In short I feel inspired again and my heads in the right place. ;D
"The 500 is another world. The bike come from another world."
-Valentino Rossi