Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: The first time  (Read 12584 times)

Offline Kodackamera

• Novice
  • The future is bright...
    • View Profile
Re: The first time
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 01:00:11 AM »
Guys, thanks a lot for your opinions and suggestions, I've not doubt you are all older and more experienced than myself so I value your insight from each individual angle.

Didn't mean to come across aggressively, ignore that, I was having an odd day as we sometimes can.

I think however, I may not have been clear enough, let me clarify.

I'm willing to clean the places toilets for all I care, If it gets me a job. Let me make that clear, nothing is beneath me whatsoever, I will do whatever is necessary, as one poster pointed out, that is so important, to do what others wont. It's not a case of what the job is, it's getting one at all.

What concerns me is the culture of "you must have an apprenticeship" or what we call in England "The Computer says "No" culture. It may get me a job in a garage, and there's nothing wrong with that, that's fantastic. But in 2 years? And to earn a qualification I already have, for thousands of pounds, which could be invested more wisely.

You could argue that If I saved time by working for my uncle straightaway instead of wasting time with England's job market, I could stack good money and quickly get onto a design or autocad course. Getting me closer to my goal than paying money for a 2 year apprenticeship, if there are even places that can employ anyone at the moment in said job market, Garages I've approached are clinging onto people who have been at the same place 10 years plus. They actively don't want to risk anything in this current climate.

But with the same time, 2 years, I could take my money and go to another country, I know people in the states, germany, Japan who could help me get settled, may even try australia, know some people there.

I know high flying law graduates, they work in supermarkets now.

One girl applied to 46 law firms across the country, one place had her listed as the 900th applicant for the position she applied to.

My feeling is that the time is just too valuable, I could get out into the world and experience it. I will regret the things I didn't do more than the things I did.

I got on very well with my lecturers. One of them, a professor, off the record told me to not bother with university courses for motorcycles/motorsport, as I wouldn't learn anything much more ( current state of Uni's), and to get out into the world to get hands on experience wherever it may be.

Vintagebluesmoke, your suggestion seems really interesting, If I stay in England, that's definitely something to explore, thanks.

Another lecturer I know, told me (like you guys) that I had great enthusiasm, and that it was part of my driving force. I'm optimistic and won't stop till high performance vehicles (and two strokes) return, whatever fuel they may use in the future.
"The 500 is another world. The bike come from another world."
-Valentino Rossi

Offline Kodackamera

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: The first time
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 12:20:20 PM »
Well, as an update, I've pretty much decided against an apprenticeship here. I choose to either get into the racing scene, work abroad to make money for a design course or both, so much more can happen in 2 years than an apprenticeship, and for a qualification that I already have.
-Valentino Rossi

Offline Kodackamera

• Novice
    • View Profile
The first time
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 11:48:27 AM »
Update,

I discovered an up and coming garage, went immediately there that day, the owner told me the position had already been given earlier that day..I stayed there for 45 minutes working my magic/just being myself, he asked to see my CV (I included a photocopy of my certificates, student of the year award and a confirmation of what subjects I have been taught).

I now work there! It is unpaid for the time being, but with food and travel paid for. I do half the week at the garage and half the week at a posh supermarket, which does pay. The owner is very into bikes and especially stresses customer service and relations. My first task was to get a 50cc 2 stroke running again, no service history, no service manual and it had clearly been modified. After a couple of hours it sang like a bird! That was a great feeling.

It's a start..and I am so relieved, breaking the deadlock cycle of "experience needed".

Onwards and upwards!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »
-Valentino Rossi

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
The first time
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 03:20:18 PM »
Well done, you have a start. :)
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
The first time
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 09:53:20 PM »
I applaud your dedication. Taking an unpaid job shows real passion and determination. Good for you!
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
The first time
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 04:19:57 AM »
It sure does, most younger people these days wont move out of your way unless thers something in it for them, i hope ya land ya dream job sooner than ya hope. Keep at it :-)
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
The first time
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 09:08:45 PM »
I hope you keep us posted. maybe someday you'll be the tuner for the next World Champion and we'll see you on Motors TV and say "Hey! I know that dude!"

:D
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
The first time
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 12:00:51 AM »
Ask any successful person how they got there and the answer will be hard work and determination. ;D

Offline Kodackamera

• Novice
    • View Profile
The first time
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 08:06:36 PM »
Wow, been ages since I last said anything, here's an update of sorts. Much has happened.

May end up getting philosophical, but it's been a while. Buckle up and swig your coffee/beer/mineral water, we're going in.

I began working at the place, mainly brakes, general servicing and sprinkling of electrical work, being in a new business, you are surrounded by how the business is working and that in itself is very good experience, as mentioned before, this was/is all voluntary.

I live with my parents, both of them run their own small business' they each have, things have been very tough and for me, not bringing in money isn't an option. On the side of that, I need to be making money to even be saving for anything whatsoever and just living. My friend who's also at this place, spends the entire week there, he's only 20, he's got a couple of years to muck around for no pay, I don't, I'm 24 this year, I have to be making some money.

Part of me feels ashamed. People from my youth are getting married, dying, excelling, exploring things, competing at the olympics this year, moving away (most have), and I still feel in the position of a teenager in some respects. In some ways that's a bullshit way of thinking, we all live different lives that can't be compared. I'm interested in "Am I doing what I can be capable of?", that's a better focus for me or anyone else.

So for one day a week I've been at the garage, the rest of the week is working at the posh supermarket about 30-40 hours a week. during November to December, I was able to do 3 days garage, 3 days supermarket and maintain some balance.

Money is coming in thankfully. I do customer service. While I stack shelves, operate laser scanning guns and blue-tooth printers I sustain my relative sanity by chatting to the customers who actually like their lives and do problem solving in my head, my future, my family's future, the worlds future, jiujitsu techniques, twostroke saving.

The sleep at one time had me really drained, waking up at 4 am every day of work, I've gotten used to it now after a couple of months, the sleeping pattern has knocked me off of keeping up with some people socially, since I have to hit the deck at 8 every evening to get enough sleep, evenings out just don't happen and I'm on a different clock to everybody else.

I got slightly paranoid after a while that the garage really couldn't be bothered with me anymore, being there one day a week means I miss out a huge amount, then the vibe did get weird, I didn't communicate much with the guys and was quiet around them, braindead fgrom the 4am mornings. Looking back it was because of my projection of it, my own fear of being ousted as not contributing enough. However, it's not the case, the owner's happy to have me there and he told me to come down whenever it works for me and that I can come anytime. When he said that, I felt a huge relief and he was very understanding of my situation. Last week a CR-250 came in for repair, just seeing it lifted my spirits immeasurably.

I want to say "things are tough", but to me that's giving in, and an insult to those starving all around the world or working in slavery.

Here's something to put a spin on things.

Since I was 19/20, I've been training in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. For those who have never heard of it, you could liken it to Olympic wrestling with pairing of Japanese Jiujitsu, either using the traditional suit or simply shorts, it uses many jointlocks, positions and techniques, it is very popular now, used in mixed martial arts and is growing all the time. It's something I get extreme joy out of, I love the rush, the strategy, everything about it.

I was never an athlete, yet, at school, I was a very natural sprinter with little training, and this was noted, in one 100m race, the only person faster was an African girl with very very long legs, she had crazy top speed, I was sheer acceleration and my game was to hold people off till the very end. Once I hit 17, I lost weight and my hormones went turbo, they still are, I put on zero fat and I improve at whatever I do relatively quickly with enough training. Sports and dancing makes me feel alive in a way that very few things do, very very alive, almost addicting.

Since I was 19, I showed alot of promise at Jiujitsu, latin dancing, where I got to advanced groups quickly, and at 21 a return to sprinting in a youth programme where a member of the Olympic team told me "You clearly have a natural element of sport to you". Even in Jiujitsu, people will ask me "have you ever done Judo, your instincts are very good!" (I haven't). "Your balance/instincts are very good" "Have you trained in Japan?"  "the dancing...you ave it, you just ave the natural movement" I kept/keep getting comments like this.

As a side note,

For the past 3 years, amongst life, Motorcycle college and everything else, I have only been able to sustain usually 1 or even less sessions a week doing Jiu-jitsu, which itself costs me alot of money and going to it takes up a whole day due to the travel.

For me, there is something tragic here. Can you see it? Let me explain.

I feel that one on hand, based on a lot of evidence and experience, I have a VERY good untapped potential for sports or something physical, If I could make it a full time thing, I could use myself to my full potential. Considering that being "genetically gifted" as the phrase goes, is something not everyone can be, a large part of me feels, "who am I to turn this down/waste this!"

On the other hand I feel that I would lie down on my death bed and think "So I did some sport...But I never worked to save/develop the two stroke/rotary/hoverboard/whatever we have in the future, I never made the supreme effort that could have been my life's work that would bring fun to many people all over the world, I was just a "sports" guy.

There is an equal and opposite reaction to this "Or I could let my health wane, do loads of theoretical analysis in engine labs becoming anal over the stoichiometric ratio, work my way up to becoming an engine designer or R&D for a huge company, make alot more money perhaps..in the hope that one day I'd have enough to make my own creations from scratch..can a designer do this with their position in a company with their salary? hmm.  A business owner/entrepeneur perhaps could fund such a thing..But not someone who does the autocad sat in a chair all day at the beck and call of the marketing department"

Also, I could become a great martial artist/dancer and excel in something that In my wildest dreams I never would have thought I could have the will to do, to go from the quiet guy who was never picked at school to the man who takes control and pushes his body to the limit. In the process, developing myself in a very particular way. It needn't stop at sport, perhaps I could even climb everest.

Or. I could do something to change the two stroke engine forever, or come up with a new fuel, or something to get more people having fun with sports vehicles.

Business is something that I've taken an interest to, I've been studying business materials from schoolfriends, reading financial times and learning german in the little spare time I have.

The answers to these questions have been going through my head at 13,500 RPM, every day since the start of 2012. There was a month here or there where I would openly say, I felt very depressed, this affected me alot with my family and friends and I became withdrawn, pushing them away, even at Jiujitsu and at the garage and the supermarket. There have been some times here or there where I sat down and felt "I'm not enjoying life at all, anytime". There have even been times of having chest pains, at random moments of the day, sometimes in the middle of the night, and I feel difficulty breathing.

Amidst all this, I'm extremely grateful to even have a job, the amount of unemployed is no joke.

I feel that there cannot be room for all of this if I'm going to do something to the best of my ability and do something with my life I have to choose just one thing and run with it and never look back.

In clear perspective I have options, realising that makes me feel very very guilty and very very stupid given the circumstances of many others in our world who have nothing..not even food.

This is my situation, these are my thoughts
-Valentino Rossi

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
The first time
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 05:26:22 PM »
It is good that you are learning the german language.English is descended from low german. ;D

Hang in there,keep your nose to the grind stone and never give up.An old boss once told me "If it was easy we'd all be doing it" and he was a self educated man that built some of the most advanced deepwater submersibles in the world. ;D

Offline Kodackamera

• Novice
    • View Profile
The first time
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 10:51:17 PM »
You're right man, I'm never going to give up, what I need to do is make decisions and navigate. Yeah love learning german, Ich spreche ein bisschen, conversational, Ich habe das erste in die Schule gelernt und nach das in meine freizeite auf MP3 speiler. Zweitakt Fur Leben!!
-Valentino Rossi

Offline Kodackamera

• Novice
    • View Profile
The first time
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 03:32:49 AM »
Quick update.

Had to leave the garage to take on jobs and actually get paid, they could not afford to pay me, just food and travel. had a few months of nothing to do with bikes, engines whatsoever, lots of family things happening in between.

Got invited to Brazil by a long lost friend..since then been saving money for a trip, plenty of countryside over there, MX, enduro and alcohol engines! (from sugar cane etc). Made the trip my motivation lately, almost got the money. Switching my continual German learning to Brazilian portuguese because of this.

Back at the garage now for 1 or 2 days a week, Because of the time I gave for almost a year, the owner has agreed to write me an official reference with which to apply to any garages wether I choose to stay or not, I've told him to delay this so that he can train me in his diagnostic equipment and other equipment/engines which can be added to my reference, he has agreed to this.  Having a reference is absolutely golden!!!! not everything, but very important. One of my buddies who stayed at the garage is now being paid some money, but it's alot less than I earn doing a supermarket job for half the hours he does.

I am considering applying, in any capacity physically possible, to the garage of an expert 2 stroke tuner who is very famous in europe, I have heard from people that he is extremely shrewd and untrusting of people in general, however, lets see.

Another one of my ideas is to stay in america with a family friend for a while to attend an evinrude mechanics training or something to learn and be certified in DI FIRST HAND!! I SAID DI!!! wooooooooooo.  8)

In my view It's best to keep up the 1-2 days, keep the skills gathering momentum, learn to use the latest gear, document my learning and get that reference.

Also, I have gone back to learning business, teaching myself and eventually looking to taking past exam papers. I think it's not enough to be just be creative or technically competent to create your own vehicles, you must understand business and trade if you want to have a view of the whole picture.

Feeling rejuvenated, also helped one of my friend to start beating his 5k running times by sorting out his diet, training intervals and sleep he's going places!
-Valentino Rossi

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
The first time
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 08:31:28 AM »
Good on you.
I have the etec traing dvd's at home. They are pretty informative.
Check online to see if anyone has posted them up. Probably not but worth a try.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Stusmoke

• View Profile
The first time
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 11:17:43 PM »
That's interesting to hear your experience, thanks! Money isn't everything, I hear this often, I will take in what you've said and consider it in my own life.

What I thought I said near the beginning of this thread is, what I eventually want, is to NOT be a mechanic, a technician etc.

I think perhaps some misunderstand.

I enjoy vehicles, engines and working on them, but I definitely do not want to be a technician and make that the job for the rest of my life, far from it. I think Ford mentioned "running, not walking away" from constantly working on vehicles. I would rather say that for me, if I did the  very same thing for the next 40 years till I'm 60, I wouldn't feel much accomplishment wether my body is wrecked or not.

What I actually want, is to be able to create my own vehicles, my own designs or help people with theirs in a team, that is the dream.

It is a long, tough road, to get anywhere near that! When I talk about leaving the supermarket job, getting a reference, the difficulties of not qualification but job markets, completing my training, learning languages, doing all these things, It doesn't stop at being a mechanic.

Though it is what I will "attack", but it is just a first stage to be attacked.

I am not passionate about being simply "a mechanic", I am passionate about two strokes and special vehicles, travel, the real life things people do with bikes, not measuring valve seat wear for a pizza bike four stroke. But if being a mechanic involves those things, and gets me to where I want to get to by being a first step, then during my time as a mechanic I shall be passionate to enjoy my time, learn and move beyond it, does that clear it up?

I could not find much on the Evinrude training DVD's, I have heard they existed on the net once though.

I skim read the last half a thread, in which you mentiuoned that. So my bad.

I would personally love to be a mechanic for a race team, or something like that. Designing engines, fixing them for the big companies etc. I'd love to be a Roger Decoster kind of guy.

At any rate you've made a good first impression with me. And remember that Eric Gore, Roger and all those other big names that have the engine world at their fingertips had to battle their way to it.

I'm looking forward to seeing your name on the KTM factory racing team. It takes dedication, and you've got that.

Good luck.

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
The first time
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
You could move to Plymouth, Wisconsin  and  work at Millenium Technologies  with Eric Gore on the CR450 2-st.  I,m sure Eric  will need some help testing this winter, on the frozen lakes in Wisconsin.  You could set a  ice shanty up, that,s a portable shack for on the ice. And drill some holes in the ice and catch some fish, while Tyler is burning laps testing the cr450. ;D  I,m sure Eric will get cold out on the lake, just like anyone. And would apprieciate a helping hand, carb adjustments, carb swaps, different cylinders, heads, pipes, silencers, gearing, etc. Plymouth Wi. is near Lake Michigan, just north of Milwaukee, Road America road race track is in Plymouth. Lake effect snow nearly everyday, Green Bay is just 60 some miles north. Oshkosh is about 45 mi. where you could get a job building Oshkosh trucks one of the oldest truck builders in the world.