Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: The first time  (Read 12547 times)

Offline Kodackamera

• Novice
  • The future is bright...
    • View Profile
The first time
« on: July 27, 2011, 04:51:27 PM »
Hey Forum, wanted a bit of advice/widsom.

I recently earned my Level 3 qualification for Motorcycles, I can now become a technician, it's fantastic! 8)

I'm 22, one thing I've noticed is that a lot of people who either don't finish school or just have an earlier start, begin apprenticeships much younger than me, and so by my age can have a certain level of experience while having been taken under the wing of a garage whilst studying part time.

What's not in dispute is how hard I will work, and how much I love this, you ever seen a rocket launching into space? That's how much I am into this. It's my life now and I will not stop until I reach my goal of designing and building my own vehicles, whether it takes me till 40 or 70, the destination is the same.

One guy I know has suggested very personal approaches to garages, "turning up" and showing in person who I am, offering to work for free for 2 weeks, less risk for them. I am up for this.

Does anyone have any particular advice with regards to my situation? I have some good credentials as "student of the year" and I understand 2 strokes, which we were only taught about at college because I tore the roof down about them.

I would appreciate any advice, and don't hold back, I am willing to do anything to achieve my goal, this is the first step, initial employment.

Kodack
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:53:25 PM by Kodackamera »
"The 500 is another world. The bike come from another world."
-Valentino Rossi

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: The first time
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 05:47:33 PM »
The main thing is enthusiasm which you seem to have in spades.
That will get you along way in my opinion.
I have hired young guys in the past and the worst thing from a bosses perspective is a kid who shrugs his shoulders when you ask them is this the industry you want to work in. :( Passion is a good thing.

I would go door knocking and introduce myself to the different shops.
You will be surprised what can happen.
When I was living overseas that is how I found employment ( I am a mechanic ). I just picked up the Yellow pages and found garages in the area and went door knocking. Always found a job.

Be proactive & good luck. ;D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:21:09 AM »
Employment is a two way street.Be patient,take your time and look for an employer that will give you the opportunity to further expand your education.Ideally if you could find a business "that does it all",custom work,suspension tuning,full machine shop etc. that is where I would look.Such skills would really broaden your horizon and put your skills in great demand.

Too many motorsports businesses do little more then replace expensive parts and cater only to the "gravy" jobs.Try to do better then that. ;D

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 05:31:21 PM »
Don't hold back eh?OK.Far be it from me to dampen someones enthusiasm(  ;D ),but,if I had it to do over again,I'd run-not walk away from a mechanical trade as fast as my crippled legs  could carry me.Do something where you actually make decent $$ and you can pay someone else to work on your machinery.That way,when you get middle aged,you will still be able to ride decently because your body won't be completely beat to death.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 06:20:18 PM »
I kind of have to agree with ford on this one.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 07:06:47 PM »
There's an old saying that if you enjoy what you do for a living you'll never work another day in your life.I've had office jobs where I was so bored I was falling asleep with my eyes open.Not a nice experience.If you enjoy being a motorsports technician go for it and enjoy yourself. ;D

I maintain almost all of my machinery myself - there's just something about knowing my hands (and my standards) are behind that machine.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 03:00:08 PM »
I've heard that before and I suppose everyone is different.For me though,I've found when a passion becomes a job in time it becomes a drudge.I used to like cars.I've had the opportunity over the years for jobs in bike shops but turned them down-for that reason.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 05:33:19 PM »
For me though,I've found when a passion becomes a job in time it becomes a drudge.

Same here. I became a motorcycle mechanic because I have always loved bikes and thought it would be great to work around them all day. After a few years my own bikes were neglected and I hardly rode, I was so sick of them. Deciding to go a different direction for my career was a great choice for me because my passion came back in a very short time. I don't regret it because I learned a lot and can do anything to my own bikes now. But I would never go back to doing it for a living.

To Kodack, congrats and best of luck. You seem to have way more enthusiasm about the job than I did.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 09:02:37 PM »
I think the reality is that every so often a person has to give their life a "tweak" to keep things interesting.I enjoyed owning a motorsports business for a decade but when it came time to make a change I did.I still maintain many machines in my neighbourhood in my spare time and it allows me to keep in touch with what's going on.

Offline Kodackamera

• Novice
  • The future is bright...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 10:38:23 AM »
It's been difficult lately, not to mention the riots going on here.

I hear what some are saying including Ford, let me clarify.

My passion isn't "working on pizza delivery bikes, changing the brakes and oil, in a crap garage with a bad boss"

It is, to ride and design vehicles, build them and even take them or help take them racing around the world.

One must come before the other.

The current situation is that many of the typical garages want experience, yet many of us have just qualified and not worked before, it's really weird and makes things difficult.

People say "Do an apprenticeship" which is another 2 years of my life, to earn the exact same qualification that I already have, just under the wing of a run of the mill tyre, brakes and oil garage. I'm not 16, I'm 22 and time must be invested wisely.

For the past year I have been looking at options of leaving England, eventually forever. Getting a job is down to me, not the country or economic/social situations. However, I must maximize my chances with the location and way I go about it.

My uncle has a printing company which has business going through the roof, I can work for him, save every penny and then get out to Japan or Germany or even Australia, where perhaps there isn't such a small minded "cottage industry" way as in England.

Thoughts?

"The 500 is another world. The bike come from another world."
-Valentino Rossi

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 12:46:40 PM »
Only you can decide what path to take.
You are in a catch 22 situation. Most garages want experience but you can't get experience if you don't get employed.

Get door knocking/e-mailing CV's etc.
Something will happen.
You are better off taking a shit job first and working up from there.
You can't expect to start in a dream job to start off with.
Go to local races and introduce your self to people. Keep pestering them.
And be positive.

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »
Go to local races and introduce your self to people. Keep pestering them.
And be positive.

Exactly what he should do!
Lucky for him this should be easier in England than in most other european countries.
(Only Italy / France / Spain would be the other possible european options...)
The British do have the best racing mentality, and are still quite positive towards racing...
Finding races in the UK shouldn't be a problem, as there are many different events going on every weekend there.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 01:33:32 PM by EJ »

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 04:59:53 PM »
Trust what people are saying and take the apprenticeship.2 years is didley squat and will pass by in a flash.As TMKIWI said,don't be afraid to take the jobs offered as you are young and learning is priority number one.There is no substitute for learning and you have to do your time.

People underestimate the value of sales.The product you are marketing is yourself and if you give a prospective employer an upbeat,positive sales pitch he/she will see the potential in you and hire you.Don't be afraid of very hard work - this is what makes the world go round.

From the practical vantage point,learn as much about the mechanical repair/machining and fabricating of motorsports as possible - in life you need to be multi faceted and adaptive.Keep in mind as well that the design aspect will require design/engineering courses to better help you understand the dynamics of what you are hoping to accomplish.

Above all,never give up.Something always comes of something and nothing of nothing - in life you have try and not be afraid to fail.Life has given me a hide like a rhino and I suspect other TSM members will tell you the same thing.Good luck! ;D

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 10:22:47 PM »
I once took a job delivering dry cleaning in London just so I had transport to drive around to look for engineering work. ;D
It only lasted a week but it got me where I wanted to be.
As Sachs said do what you have to.

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 10:42:11 AM »
If you want to be on the bleeding edge, and not want to be a "parts swapper", approach every race shop in the country. Give them your CV, with photo. Let them experience "you", your skills, enthusiasm etc. Then keep going back to them, even after they tire of telling you "no". Focus on a racing job. Don't get locked down in a dealership or local shop. You'll have plenty of time for that later. Do the racing thing while you are young, before wives, kids, and mortgages. Life on the road is hard and the pay is small but the experience will put you way ahead of others when you are through and then you can get that "good" job you so desire.

England has a huge racing scene and you should have little problem finding a team to take you in.

08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk