Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: I'm looking at a 1995 CR500  (Read 2516 times)

Offline CCOADY454

• Expert
    • View Profile
I'm looking at a 1995 CR500
« on: July 14, 2011, 06:18:03 AM »
Any impressions on that year motor or transmission?
Is there anything I need to look for or to check on that particular year?

Offline Paul P

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Re: I'm looking at a 1995 CR500
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 06:59:49 AM »
87 to 01 CR500 engines are very close to the same. 89 and up used an extra plate in the clutch stack, and routed the water spigot mount a little different.
    Most of the CR500's in my area were trail ridden or made into hillclimbers. Very few made it to the tracks because the tracks were too tight to get them out of third gear.
    If it has a truely rebuilt motor, you will get quite a few years of riding out of it with little maintainence.

Offline CCOADY454

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 07:56:16 AM »
87 to 01 CR500 engines are very close to the same. 89 and up used an extra plate in the clutch stack, and routed the water spigot mount a little different.
    Most of the CR500's in my area were trail ridden or made into hillclimbers. Very few made it to the tracks because the tracks were too tight to get them out of third gear.
    If it has a truely rebuilt motor, you will get quite a few years of riding out of it with little maintainence.

Cool, thanks....it has 3 hours on the rebuild.  I'm wanting it for a trail riding and to have for a future project.  It has mismatched & faded plastic, but the way it looks, I think new plastic, pipe and aluminum cleaning solvent, it'll look great.  I've ridden a KX 500 twice (was an adrenaline rush!), have many years of experience on 250's but at 6'7" 235 lbs, I want something a little more powerful than my 250 for open areas.  I may look into de-tuning the engine, if I go decide to make my own "Service Honda".  It's pretty sad and funny that I have to de-tune it to make it more competetive with the 450's  :P

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 07:57:26 AM »
Back in the 90's a number of friends rode the CR500 and I'm not sure if there is a more reliable dirt bike out there.They don't have compression releases and I don't think that big motor has a bleed port either so they can be a bear to kick over.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 08:27:34 AM »
About 10 years ago a friend I rode with bought a 1995 CR500. I had a KX250 at the time. We would trade all the time because he weighed 150lbs and was scared to death of the 500 LOL. He eventually sold it and bought a YZ250. Anyway, I don't have a lot of big bore experience as I prefer smaller bikes, but it was fast. Too fast really for the tight trails here in SW PA. It handled well and didn't feel much heavier than my KX250 (my bike was a 1990).
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline keeptwostrokesalive

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 09:05:46 AM »

Cool, thanks....it has 3 hours on the rebuild.  I'm wanting it for a trail riding and to have for a future project.  It has mismatched & faded plastic, but the way it looks, I think new plastic, pipe and aluminum cleaning solvent, it'll look great.  I've ridden a KX 500 twice (was an adrenaline rush!), have many years of experience on 250's but at 6'7" 235 lbs, I want something a little more powerful than my 250 for open areas.  I may look into de-tuning the engine, if I go decide to make my own "Service Honda".  It's pretty sad and funny that I have to de-tune it to make it more competetive with the 450's  :P
[/quote]
Wow 6'7, i thought i was tall at 6'4.  Guess i was wrong. 

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 09:28:03 AM »
Here is the #1!!!! thing to remember.  Get the motor HOT, not warm before you rail on it.  I got a call the night I got rid of mine saying how the POS blew up.  I said, that had a freakin brand new engine.  He said, I started it up, went down the road through the gears wide open and it locked up. I said, oooooohhhh.  Did you do what my text said and get the motor hot, or did you just warm it up. He said, I let it warm up a couple seconds. I said, and there you go. What a Freakin Dummy.  I texted him so he could see it visually, plus told him at my office. Get it HOT, before you go riding.  Cold siezed the beaoch the first ride.  That piston is huge, and expands, while the steel cylinder doesn't have time to expand enough. Thus, thug, stuck.  Just thought I would let you know this, so you don't do a azzinine thing like this guy. That motor should last years and years  with no problems, if you treat it right. 
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline CCOADY454

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 09:53:09 AM »

[/quote]
Wow 6'7, i thought i was tall at 6'4.  Guess i was wrong. 
[/quote]

I used to be 6'8" but I've lost almost an inch due to long sustaining a back injury.