Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 99 YZ 144. Australia  (Read 9498 times)

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
Re: 99 YZ 144. Australia
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 01:15:31 PM »
That's cool. Just from experience, I can say that newer bikes have a flatter feeling. So you can move front to back better etc.  If you have a chance, just look at some newer bikes from the side and you will see. But if it works for you, that is all that matters.  Good job on it.
This. You want a flatter seat it promotes better body English. I need a flat seat for my 03
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2011, 01:22:24 PM »
The SDG 'Tall' seats flatten out the top of older bikes pretty well.

Offline Street_Kleaver

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2011, 03:19:33 PM »
I had a 06 Husky 250. They have seats like ironing boards. Super flat.

But I rode this yesterday. Was really easy to get move around on. I'll do a report soon. :)

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2011, 03:23:45 PM »
Seriously???  You're gonna make us wait?  I hex you!    :D ;D :P 
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline Street_Kleaver

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2011, 04:04:50 AM »
Took it for a brief ride on friday.
The thing hauls!!
Rips really hard!!
The sound it makes is so crisp.

Made the switch from using Motul 800 from the last 8 years to using Maxima 927 castor. Man I love that smell!!!

Its not quite jetted properly yet. I got the jetting ball park close. Just needs fine tuning. The combustion chamber is cnc re-designed to run race gas and avgas. At the moment its running 2 base gaskets at 1.2mm squish. With 1 gasket it will be 0.7mm. So once its all run in and running sweet, I'll run one base gasket and some race fuel  :D

For the suspension. Its running the Smart Performance Inc full revalve in the forks. SPI developed a new design of mid valve for these old open bath forks called the "Dell Taco". Its basically hydraulic crossover blow off. It works a little differently, takes some getting used to. The fork tends sit up higher in the stroke. Once I started pushing it, it soaked things up pretty nicely. Very plush. A heap better than the stock fork. Although the test track was pretty basic. I was mainly there to run it in and get the jetting somewhat close.

But the handling...

This old bike turns amazingly well!! What i was riding on was red soil hard pack. Keep in mind I've been off the bike for about 8 months. But I felt so confident pitching the thing right over in berms and ruts. Felt like you could charge fast into a corner, brake late, flick it over and hold it on! Was one of the most confidence inspiring bikes I have ever ridden in flat turns, ruts, berms what ever it may be!!
The shock i was running my own shim arrangement from some input of local tuners for our tracks. So far it is working well. Not kicking or swapping. Squatting under power and hooking up. Lifting the front wheel on turn exits. The jumps were pretty small, i did a few harder landings, didn't jar or bottom. Soaked up things well.

I really need to ride it somewhere with some rough sections and decent jumps and hits to really see how it performs. But apart from all that. I was impressed. It gave me confidence in turns and feels stable over jumps. Its a really fun bike to ride. Cant wait to give a good go on some real mx tracks.

Next on the list is some black rims.

I want to replace them with some wave rotors. The brakes are pretty worn, they suck. Haha
I've got my eye on Tusk typhoon rotors for the front and rear.

I'm looking at getting some Black DNA or Black Gforce rim sets.

Or I might re-lace the stock hubs with new spokes with black excels rims.
Haven't decided yet.

This wont be for a few weeks. We are moving town at the moment.

Thanks for all the comments. Keep smoking!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2011, 06:47:08 PM »
Glad you are liking it so far!
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2011, 11:05:47 PM »
Awesome job on the little YZ there mate looks really nice, i reckon blue rims would look cool

F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250