Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: LAP TIMES  (Read 2775 times)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
LAP TIMES
« on: August 20, 2011, 04:48:02 AM »
With all the talk about lap times of 250F's , 450F's & 250 Smokers I thought I would put this up.

Transmoto in Aussie have just done a track day test with 2011 RMZ 250 & 450.
Both bikes were stock but the suspension was set up by Rockstar Suzuki.
1 of the test riders was Dan McCoy, Rockstar Suzuki rider in OZ.
His lap times were on average only 1.3 seconds slower on the 250 then the 450.
Not much in it is there. ;D

PS. McCoy said his pro 250 was 2 seconds a lap quicker then the stock 250.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:59:32 PM by TMKIWI »
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: LAP TIMES
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 06:48:35 AM »
Thanks for the update. Transmoto is a good publication. McCoy is also a top dude, and rode an RM 250 in the NSW state championships. Ran second I am pretty sure to Kirk Gibbs.

Who is this pro McMoy you speak of though ??  :P  :P
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 07:56:46 AM »

Must be Dan's Jewish cousin
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 08:35:54 AM »
Over here, many races do the MX2 class (125 2T / 250F) after the bigger MX1 class.
They had to make this change because usually the crowd would go home en masse,
after the MX2 races.
Over here the lites class bikes, do faster laptimes on 90% of the tracks,
and also the races are always more spectacular.
So now they are the last class of the day, to keep it interesting for the public so they don't leave early...

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 04:00:24 PM »

Must be Dan's Jewish cousin

OOoops. ;D
Fixed.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 06:57:10 PM »
McCoy is also a top dude, and rode an RM 250 in the NSW state championships.

Just finished reading the mag and on the inside of rear cover is an article about him with his 3 most prized possessions.
His Fiancee, A picture of his dad and his 2005 RM250. ;D

Quote from him:
I've kind of missed riding a 2 stroke since my time on the YZ250 with CDR, back in2004.My Suzuki team have put a pipe and V-Force reed block on my RM and it's a great training tool- because there is no engine braking. I'll discover new lines on it compared to my 4 stroke race bike. At tracks like Appin, I can actually match the times on my current race bike on this RM. I love it and recently won a moto on it at a state round.

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 04:02:38 AM »
McCoy is also a top dude, and rode an RM 250 in the NSW state championships.

Just finished reading the mag and on the inside of rear cover is an article about him with his 3 most prized possessions.
His Fiancee, A picture of his dad and his 2005 RM250. ;D

Quote from him:
I've kind of missed riding a 2 stroke since my time on the YZ250 with CDR, back in2004.My Suzuki team have put a pipe and V-Force reed block on my RM and it's a great training tool- because there is no engine braking. I'll discover new lines on it compared to my 4 stroke race bike. At tracks like Appin, I can actually match the times on my current race bike on this RM. I love it and recently won a moto on it at a state round.

He could be one to watch in the Super X. Would be awesome to see him roll the RM 250 to the startline in the lites for this years championship. He would be a championship contender as long as we dont have rain at every round like we did last year. Probably wont happen but we can only hope. Will be interesting to see if there are any two strokes battling in the mains at this years championship.
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 05:05:14 AM »
I know I've been one to spout lap times and such but order of events plays a big part in it. Take US Supercross for instance. If you leave off the support classes (especially prevalent in the outdoor nats.), they run all the heat races and qualifiers lites then heavy. Even if they groom the track for the main, the 450's tend to have it a bit rougher because the 250's have chewed it up. It has been discussed by the event organizers to change it up so that the 250 lap times are greater, thus making the 450's SEEM like the faster bike. The problem is how do you keep asses in the seats when the Premier race is over. There is no DRAMA in the "support classes".

The only way to accurately compare is to run them at the same time. Then you are down to rider differences and we could argue (bench race) that all day!
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk