Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 99 YZ 144. Australia  (Read 9430 times)

Offline Street_Kleaver

• Novice
    • View Profile
99 YZ 144. Australia
« on: June 29, 2011, 03:44:08 AM »
Picked up this old rocket. Big Plans!

The bike when I picked it up was 1 owner and just been ridden, thats it , but the engine was worked on by a bike mechanic. Still has plenty of compression just general wear and tear and neglect of a bike that age. ie bearings, linkage bushes fork seals etc.

My aim is to build it into 144. The only thing I'll be getting done is the 144 top end. So far I've rebuilt the forks and rear shock and gone through alot of the nuts and bolts that were seized, rounded or torn off which must of been from superman hanging off them with a 1 inch drive socket set. haha

Its a bad phone photo but its the only one I got when I first got it..

Bad black plastics and all! And dodgy stuff everywhere. All the bolts had no anti seize and seemed to be torqued up to "FT" tension (*@#in Tight) as we say.

Rode it for a while then gave it a freshen up. Flu designs sticker kit and full set of new plastics, FMF fatty and powercore 2 silencer. Not too sold on the graphics, might change them down the track.

Another bad night time dodgy mobile phone picture. Sorry. I didnt even ride it like this...

Then I decided to pull it apart.

Used my arms and hands in a sequence of motions. Result was back to bare metal then waved a spray gun around a bit and this happened.

New Swingarm linkage bushes and bearings, polished the swing arm and started to bolt it back together.

Bottom end is rebuilt.

With new OEM crank, bearings and balance.

Every bearing replaced. Every seal. 5th and 3rd gear dogs were a bit rounded, so they got replaced. Drive shaft collar, Crank collar. New gear selector drum segment. Drum stopper from a 02, has a better design. All new springs on p/v gov, shift shaft, shift stopper... New clutch plates, steels/fibres and springs along with the billet clutch basket. The list goes on. Everything will be tight and operating like new in there like its just rolled off the showroom floor.

The 144cc top end is being built and should be shipped shortly. Its a bored to 144cc and re-plated 02 cylinder. Ported/polished and high compression head. All done by Harris Performance in Texas.

Installed a divider plate into the Mikuni TMX 38 I'll be running instead of the TMX 36. Cost me $8.60 for a length of 1.6mm alloy. And about 3 hours of fiddling around. Works the same as a "Power now" insert except its on the straight bore side of the carb instead of the bell end. I made a jig with and straight edge and stopper for length, used a fine tooth hacksaw blade and some fine needle files. It was a nice fit, tapped in with a hammer. And a little bit of epoxy (devcon plastic steel) for extra safety.

Hopefully it works well with this. Boyesen RAD valve. Nice bit of gear.

My aim in this is to try get low rpm air speed increase for a bit more bottom & response and maybe torque. TMX carbs are not strong in the low rpm air signal department.

New ASI Aluminium Radiators. 40% larger. Dual cores. Should keep the little monster cooler. I'll be making my own aluminum radiator braces that has all the mounts built in to run a 05 yz gas tank.

So pretty much I'm waiting on the top end to arrive from Harris Performance. Suspension to be finished getting re-valved. Suspension tuner is still waiting for parts to come in for the forks and shock.

Once the motor is tuned and run in...

I have a friends stock 02 yz125 to run a comparison to my heavily modded 99 yz144 on the Dyno.

Should be interesting! Stay Tuned!

Cheers

Street Kleaver

Offline Bioflex

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Re: 99 YZ 144. Australia
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 04:45:05 AM »
Nice read, looks like a great project.

Very keen to see dyno numbers compared to the stocker

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 05:21:52 AM »
Looks great  :) .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 06:22:50 AM »
Very nice! Let us know how those ASI rads fit. I was going to get some for our project, just heard some bad things about fitment.
Welcome to the forum! :)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 07:22:34 AM »
Very interesting project.I've been looking into 125 big bores and apparently 153 and 167 kits are available as well.I'm thinking of building a Husqvarna 125 WR big bore. ;D

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 09:45:23 AM »
Badness! Those YZs for that year are some of the best. I used to have a 99 and it was a monster. That bike would haul as-!

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 01:23:27 PM »
Nice work.
And welcome.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
very cool read! I love the white plates and rear fender! Very cool look, and I love the white frame
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 03:51:17 PM »
Sweet build.Keep us updated.The 99's were a good bike.I almost bought my nephews when he sold it-but already had the 250.
Sachs,the tuners all tell you if you move much over a 144 you lose a lot of rpm-more of a mid range only machine-big hit and a short duration.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Street_Kleaver

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 02:13:29 AM »
That is true. A 125 idealistically should only be done bore only when going for a big bore kit. When they are stroked they loose their characteristics as a 125. Loose high rpm pretty much feel like a 200 instead of riding a screaming 11,000 rpm 125.

Very nice! Let us know how those ASI rads fit. I was going to get some for our project, just heard some bad things about fitment.
Welcome to the forum! :)

From measuring them all up Length and height are identical. Just wider and more rows of cores. I haven't tried a bolt up yet. But they are great quality. The welds are nice, everything is straight and square and all the fittings and mount holes are in the correct position. I have used them before on a friend of mine CR500 engine in a crf450 frame. They were ASI crf450 radiators, but got all the fittings Tigged on to suit the cr500 engnie.

I'll be making radiator cages for each out of aluminium. With side impact and twist protection along with extra brackets that allows a modern 02 yz tank to be bolted up to make people more confused what model it is.

Offline Street_Kleaver

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 03:30:24 PM »
Hello all!

Built some radiator cages to fit the ASI radiators. They are a nice fit, look great. Bit tight on one side, but the rubber bushes have give in them so it all works out sweet.

Fitted 05 Tank. Shrouds are off a mates bike. Currently getting some custom graphics designed.

I made my own ally brackets to adapt the tank in all the original bolt points, the radiator cages now have tabs tig welded on to suit the newer style shrouds. More better pics to come, I'll do a thread up with bracket dimensions so you can make your own out of aluminium.

Waiting for the topend to arrive. I'll ride it, run it in and tune it.
Once its all running sweet. I'll bust the suspension apart to re-valve it myself. Trying to find some info on the suspension stock stack specs.

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 04:18:55 PM »
Looks good. I like the white frame
2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline Street_Kleaver

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 06:10:51 PM »
Some better pictures

Also made my own brackets for a 05 fuel tank to fit. Tutorial on how to do it is in the technical section. I think Charles has also put it in the how to / Tech DIY section on the site too.

Brackets are made out of 40x40 3mm aluminium angle with bushes the same used on the radiators.

TIG welded some extra tabs on the radiator cages to adapt the newer model radiator shrouds.

Discard the DC graphics. I borrowed the shrouds from a mate. I have some custom graphics coming with new shrouds.

I made a post on here with all the dimensions I used to fit the 05 tank.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 06:13:14 PM by Street_Kleaver »

Offline Street_Kleaver

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 06:19:31 PM »
More of an Update.

My 144 top end from Harris Performance in Texas has arrived. Its a 02 cylinder and head. Its all installed but the only things that differ on the cylinder is the little springs that pull the exhaust valves open. So I didn't get to fire it over! Grrr. Few more days and they'll be here.

My revalve kit from Smart Performance in California is in transit also. It will bring the suspension into this century. A lot of internal components are sacked out due to the bike being 11 years old. So I cant wait to throw a leg over and give it a ride once I finish the install.
I'll do a in depth install on the forks, much like the tank conversion. For all those guys that like to do it themselves.

It will be like a average guy's factory race bike.

More pics and information to come. Stay tuned!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 05:52:02 AM »
Awesome, you did a great job on this bike.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.