Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: For those following the Maico USA deal to import for 2011  (Read 3113 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
For those following the Maico USA deal to import for 2011
« on: October 14, 2010, 06:54:17 AM »
Hi Guys,

Of course there has been lot's of talk about the Maico over the past few years. One of the big reasons is that Vince from Maico is passionate about the brand and willing to work with a small site such as TSM. In fact besides Dan from Barker Bros. Cycles (TM Racing) Maico is the only brand that has responded to inquiries.

For much of the time I have posted information about the Maico's there has been no one that was willing to take on distributing the brand here in the US. That is until Rich Winkler found that Maico was looking for a distributor. As soon as he decided to take on this task, he was in the middle of his very busy business season, having precious little time to devote to any aspect of Maico.

Once his busy season ended he jumped in with both feet and has been working to bring the iconic brand to the US. It is a much more daunting task then you can imagine. Although once everything is in place to properly import the machines, he will be ready to go.

To clarify a point here, how many of you have been to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) gone up to the counter and found that you filled in the wrong form, didn't have enough paperwork or proof of who you are?

Imagine how much more paperwork is required to import a motor vehicle?

Well the point of all this talk... is to bring your attention to an "open" letter that Rich shared with me on the site. Please check it out.

http://twostrokemotocross.com/2010/10/a-note-from-maico-usa/
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: For those following the Maico USA deal to import for 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 10:02:50 AM »
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I fear that high price point is going to be a killer though. I hope I am wrong.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 12:27:35 PM »
Everyone involved with Maico knows and understands that it is a niche machine... they have no illusions they will sell thousands or even hundreds.

It is and will probably remain a machine for a select few...

as you can see from Maico owners on this site, they last a good long time. In addition, Maico International is devoted to ensuring that you could update your bike.

Sounds like an excellent investment to me!

Especially when you compare it to the modern 4 strokes. Could you imagine these machines being around in 20 years? What about 30 years? The only thing we'll see is the rolling chassis of these machines with different powerplants in them.... whether that's two-stroke, electric or garden tractor...
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 01:10:50 PM »
I wasn't complaining by any means. Howevere (not "but" LOL) the way Maico is hyping the bike by only releasing little bits of info here and there, I really do feel that they are trying to get folks excited and have hopes of selling a lot of bikes. Otherwise why go through all that? I want to see them succeed for sure! I also know they have no control over the dollar conversion or with the fact that the economy isn't the strongest. So the price could be a killer for them here.

I also disagree with calling a dirt bike an investment, but that's an discussion for another day  ;D

- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 04:33:09 PM »
Maicos are built to last.  They make a limited production and there are people out there who have a lot of money and buy things like $100k rings, so there are people who could easily afford it.  Not to mention that even at $10k to $12k it's not completely unattainable, ppl could get financing. 

A new KTM is $8k to $9k and if you're someone who is going to spend a lot in bike upgrades those bikes end up being $10k or so in the end.  The Maico comes standard with a lot of high end parts and has options to further imrpove.  So if you're already set to fiance a new KTM, might as well go all the way to the Maico.   

The bigger issue is getting the word out.  Not many people know they are still around or even if they do don't know they will be imported.  I posted on thumper talk the other day my Maico and ppl were drooling over my old 83 :)  I then posted the new Maico vidoe and they were asking where to get it!

Not to mention, Maicos are famous for their handling and easy to ride ability.  Here's some first impression of a Maico ride from a beginner on the older Maicos :)

Trask - Ankur Rides the 1982 Maico 490

1998 Kawasaki KX 500 vs. 1983 Maico 490

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline Huffieva

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 11:56:52 AM »
Any new updates on the Maico saga?

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 12:07:59 PM »
45 days from last october puts us where exactly?  :D
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 11:04:48 PM »
45 days from last october puts us where exactly?  :D
9 months & 45 days ford & I hear what your saying! If the Maicos' made it to the States just under 5 months ago I would have put 10k cash on one but not a penny more if I would pay cash! I ended up putting $7704.00 on a 2011 KTM-300xc and I have no regrets! I added a skid plate a enduro engineering s/a & a carbon fiber pipe guard so that all added up to about $300.00 more plus the bike fell in the back of my buddies pick up truck & smashed the right side radiator after I ordered & was waiting on a set of Bullet Proof designs radiator guards so I ended up putting a brand new oem rad on the bike so the rad guards would fit properly! If you know anyone who needs a right side radiator for a "11" KTM-300 I'll sell the one that's bent cheap! It does not leak @ all so it is still a good rad & I would keep it for a spare but I could also use a couple extra bucks to get more Motorex supplies or add any extra $$ I get towards a set of Fasst Flexx bars!................ :D

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 03:31:49 PM »
Good choice Maicoman.The 300 KTM has pretty much become the hare scramble bike of choice around these parts-despite the tight conditions.Many have come off the smaller displacements and 4t's and find this to be the superior machine.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.