Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: KTM DI  (Read 4143 times)

Offline matr

• Novice
    • View Profile
KTM DI
« on: June 22, 2011, 01:19:23 PM »
Little nugget from KTM about DI KTMs from about 4minutes 20 seconds.

Sebastian Sekira from KTM explains about 2012 years EXC-models

Apologies if this has been posted before, I looked but couldn't see it. I tried to put it up as a link but failed and it came up with the full thing, hope that isn't violating anything.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:24:57 PM by matr »

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
Re: KTM DI
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 03:03:20 PM »
first time I've seen it, thanks.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 05:36:02 PM »
KTM are still being cagey about it.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 06:52:19 PM »
Still a step in the right direction!
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline SubTexel

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 06:54:56 PM »
KTM are still being cagey about it.

Rep I talked to last year, and this year had different answers. One from last year said 2012, but in off road models first. The one this year said 2013, but mentioned nothing about off road models only. Meh.

I have a horrible feeling it'll be shelved because of cost issues. I wonder how much it'll tack onto the bikes price wise? I'm all about the DI on 2 strokes.

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 01:13:30 PM »
It Will be available, when emission regulations force them to do it.

Simple as that.

That has been been stated by KTM for quite a while.

Hopefully, they may bring them out before that, to really get a jump with the 'modern 2t' market, or just simply raise their overall sales.

Yes, it will cost more than a bike with a carb - you never know though, they may factor in the Big profits they have made on their 2ts, that they have made with so very little change (the 2 engine modules) for so many years............ wishful thinking, perhaps on my part.

As emission levels tighten, DFI or other clean tech for 2ts has to happen. Otherwise they will disappear.

The majority of KTM 2ts, are Road Registerable bikes, around the world. They need to be, to get sales.

All types of 2ts will benefit from new tech. Think of just how good a comparatively simple  600cc inline twin(cheapest) or V twin would be. It Would be cheaper, lighter,  economical, and more powerful and tractable than a 600cc 3 or 4 cylinder Super Sports bike. How about a 1000cc Superbike?  Then just think a little more about so many other capacities / applications, including cars etc.

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 05:29:23 PM »
Just bought a copy of the latest australasian dirtbike magazine and they interviewed a guy up high in Ktm Australia. He said they have it and it will come in when emission laws need it. they then went on to describe it an how it works. By the sounds of it there won't be much of a gain in power other than more low down torque, its mostly about emissions but they did say with this technology we may again think of four strokes as slow and heavy

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 11:57:38 PM »
So it will pretty much become an ultimate mx bike...
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 01:05:54 AM »
I already have the ultimate MX bike, i'm pretty happy with my case reed induction thanks.

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 01:39:55 AM »
I might see the strategy KTM (and possibly the Japanese) have with DI. First, for KTM they don't want to add the cost if regulators are not forcing them. It WILL hurt sales. On the other hand, they also don't want to hurt 4$ sales with people buying 2T's. Especially if they mop up the competition and the FIM/AMA rule against them, giving the advantage back to the 4$. You say they wouldn't do that but just look at the AMA's tail dragging support for Harley in flat track and road racing. So unless someone forces their hand, they want the status quo.

The Big 4 own the industry. If one changes, they all have to change and have not had a reason. Again, status quo. More BNG's and stupid people will by their "new and improved" models.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 11:06:59 AM »
I already have the ultimate MX bike, i'm pretty happy with my case reed induction thanks.

Don't worry, I daresay it will still have case reed induction............

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 11:24:44 AM »
I might see the strategy KTM (and possibly the Japanese) have with DI. First, for KTM they don't want to add the cost if regulators are not forcing them. It WILL hurt sales. On the other hand, they also don't want to hurt 4$ sales with people buying 2T's. Especially if they mop up the competition and the FIM/AMA rule against them, giving the advantage back to the 4$. You say they wouldn't do that but just look at the AMA's tail dragging support for Harley in flat track and road racing. So unless someone forces their hand, they want the status quo.

The Big 4 own the industry. If one changes, they all have to change and have not had a reason. Again, status quo. More BNG's and stupid people will by their "new and improved" models.

It will cost more, but, unless they decide, stupidly, to rip us off, it should be no more than a 4t. Sales is what they will want - that is how a company survives, the reason they exist. KTM and other companies are already laughing all the way to the bank, with the Japanese manufacturers walking away from 2ts. Hell, I think the reason KTM haven't gone belly up in the last decade is due to the fact that they had the 2ts with their much higher profit margin, due to KTMs sharing of so much interchangeability through their entire range, and that all they had done to the 2 2t engine modules was so very minimal. All while they burned through huge amounts of money doing, since the RFS, and including the 'Bergs, 8 different 4t engine modules, in the real dirt bike range alone. Not to mention the various road bikes / Lc4 variations, and that bloody XBow they blew 100 million + on.

As I said, without new tech 2ts will disappear .With it, 2ts will have a resurgence, and enter into a lot more applications than previous.

Perhaps those that can't understand this, really don't think 2ts should remain in production?

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 12:14:43 PM »
The newest Ktms are emission legal right now.. running 100:1 with synthetic pre-mix  ... this is why they don't bother..for now...
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.