Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: YZ 100 Fluids  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Joe

• Novice
    • View Profile
YZ 100 Fluids
« on: June 21, 2011, 07:59:15 PM »
I'm finally coming to the end of my 78 YZ 100 rebuild (btw, thanks to all who have helped, it was very much appreciated) Anybody have any sugestions on what kind of oil to out in the transmission and fuel mix? I've heard of people using 10w-40, 85w gear oil, and even ATF for the trans as long as what ever they used is a good quality and is changed often, the same would apply to my 78 YZ wouldn't it?  I'm running a 25-1 fuel to oil mix in my other 2 strokes (using Lucas semi synthetic 2 cycle oil) can I run the same mix in my YZ? I know it varies depending on what type of oil used. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: YZ 100 Fluids
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 09:42:46 PM »
Thats a good question.
Unfortunatly everybody has a different idea and this thread could go on for years. ;)
I think you have answered the question yourself.
Just use good quality oil in your tranny and if there is no clutch issues then it is fine.
Same with the motor.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:55:30 PM »
If you go back through the forums you'll find, as TMKIWI pointed out,a lot of lively debate about dirt bike lubricants.I've found that as long as you stick with modern motorcycle lubricants (no big box outboard mix for example) it's pretty tough to go wrong. ;D ;D

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 06:37:22 AM »
I love Lucas :)
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline WoodsRiderParts

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Woods Rider Parts.com
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 06:42:36 AM »
I'm finally coming to the end of my 78 YZ 100 rebuild (btw, thanks to all who have helped, it was very much appreciated) Anybody have any sugestions on what kind of oil to out in the transmission and fuel mix? I've heard of people using 10w-40, 85w gear oil, and even ATF for the trans as long as what ever they used is a good quality and is changed often, the same would apply to my 78 YZ wouldn't it?  I'm running a 25-1 fuel to oil mix in my other 2 strokes (using Lucas semi synthetic 2 cycle oil) can I run the same mix in my YZ? I know it varies depending on what type of oil used. Any help is appreciated, thanks

I have been using Motul Transoil Expert 10W40 for years in racing and trail riding. Never one internal issue with clutch or gearbox.  I am a site sponsor, if you want a liter to try out, let me know - I will hook you up.

Luke
Luke
-------------------------------
www.woodsriderparts.com - Woods, Enduro, and MX Parts and Accessories
www.onlytrailbikes.com
2009 Husky WR250

Offline Joe

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 06:40:27 PM »
Thanks for all the help. :) I've never heard of this motul stuff, I wouldn't mind giving it a try but I doubt there are any stores near were I live that sell it.  So as far as the fuel goes, will the 25-1 Lucas mix I mentioned earlier work? should I change it after the engine is broke in-maybe like to 32-1? 

Offline WoodsRiderParts

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Woods Rider Parts.com
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 05:29:08 AM »
http://www.motul.com/us/en-us/products?f[range]=21

There is a link to their MC products.  Let me know if you want to try some gearbox oil.

Luke
Luke
-------------------------------
www.woodsriderparts.com - Woods, Enduro, and MX Parts and Accessories
www.onlytrailbikes.com
2009 Husky WR250