Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 16 year old two stroke lover!  (Read 5505 times)

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
16 year old two stroke lover!
« on: November 29, 2009, 07:25:40 PM »
Thanks John for all your work. The last two days were pretty amazing for me. My 16 year old son just moved to the 125 class from 85s. He wanted me to bye him a new 250 four stroke like most of his friends. Well, with my personal economy the way it is I just can't afford a new bike. His older brother has a 2001 Cr125. He complain said he didn't want to race cause all his friends would make fun of him on an old 8 year old bike. I went threw the bike made sure it was in good shape.New piston and had the cylinder replated. Today we raced for the first time in two months. On Saturday we went to a track we have never been to.He practiced looked OK but not great. But he seamed more quiet than usual.The next day he went out for practice looked OK. First moto he seamed nervous. well to my suprise he got the hole shot but got passed by two other riders and finished 3rd out of 11 rider of course the winner on a new Cr250f. Next moto he again was quite had his head down on the bars waiting for the moto before him to end. Well hole shot again and pulled a lead about a football field long. and got the overall Winn. I said to him after the race I thought two stroke were slow! Well not anymore. His friends wanted to see the bike. He now likes it. He has been won over and he said its easy to start!
Motocross is a real sport all the rest are just games

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: 16 year old two stroke lover!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 07:34:07 PM »
He's just moving up to 125s at age 16?  My family has a "different" sort of take on riding so I was on a 250 at 15.  Is that a normal size of bike for a 16 year-old?

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 08:24:18 PM »
 he is a little on the small size. They have a 14-15 year old 85 class here. He rode that till august. He turned 19 in November.did you mean a 250 4t?

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 08:26:10 PM »
Sorry I ment He turned 16 on Nov. 19th

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 09:50:12 PM »
Well, I first rode a 250 2T (my dad's '77 Maico) when I was 13, then I got my Husky at 14 and it became my regular bike at 15.  I guess I never really thought about it, I just sort of assumed that was a normal sort of time to get on a 250 2T, but I guess I was wrong.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 10:13:49 PM »
I just got my first 125, actually, a 2001 cr125, seems to be a common bike, good bike actually, really light, but, little power, so I am thinking about getting an older 250 two srtoke for when I am not racing, but ya, I am 16, but i am tall, for 16, 6 foot 2, and 145 pounds
I'd rather be riding...

Offline wayfastwilly

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 10:20:18 PM »
My son Taylor moved to a 125 at age 12, but he is a tall kid. He got his rm 250 2t at 13, but when he moved to his 125 he immediatly got faster, he said he just felt safer and more comfortable on the full sized bike. I think its not about age, but when the rider feels its the right time.  AMA says you can ride an 85 supermini till your 16  if you want to. But i will say, that if you can find a affordable 250 2t id let him try it, Taylor said his is easier to ride because didnt have to ride it pinned all the time, and you can really roost a 250f on the starts.  Just my 2 cents.   Wayfastwilly 8)   PS  our bikes were both 01  models

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 04:36:46 AM »
luthier269 - Congratulations to your son on his victory!  ;D

There is no need to buy into the hype of the four-strokes at the local level. With some practice and experience your son might be unbeatable, at least on some tracks.

Please tell him to enjoy!

While the '01 CR125 is not a very fast bike, there are a few mods that will make it much faster. Read about the updates made on this one.
http://twostrokemotocross.com/2009/05/budget-racer-2001-honda-cr125/

You can do just some of the updates and mods at the beginning. Just the reeds, carburetor, air boot and holes in the air box make a huge difference. So if you're searching for more power on this machine try this stuff first!

As for when to start riding/racing a big bike, that all depends on the rider and their personality. For instance, Tony Di Stefano was racing 250 CZ's in the expert class at 12 years old, but he was a big kid. Some prefer riding the small machines.

It's all personal preference.
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 06:26:47 AM »
The 125 class bike is a great bike in which to learn how to ride fast.  As we all know, to make a 125 go fast, the rider must, and I do mean must be on top of his game, must keep the RPM's in the meat of the powerband, and must always be in the proper gear. 

When the rider is ready and able to apply these principles to a 250 smoker, look out....  You'll need to build a bigger trophy case, and get something to sooth the sore muscles in your face from all the grinning   ;D  8)
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 03:14:43 PM »
What I was trying to say was Jake did not want a two stroke. All of his race friends moved to new four stroke 250's when they left their 85cc bikes. I could not afford a new bike. So after alot of talking to him that his 125 bike was just as fast and it was more him than the bike at his age. If you could of seen the smile on his face when I made it back to the truck after the race. A couple of the other kids came by to ask questions about the bike.  He was finally proud of his bike. Also during the race the announcer made a point that he was riding a two stroke.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 03:28:52 PM »
You, your son, and the announcer should receive "two-stroke-promoter-of-the-week" awards.  Would a stick of Juicy Fruit be okay?

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline jft67x

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 12:32:13 AM »
when i was 13 my dad let me loose on a yz490. if you can start it you can ride it. i got to ride my first thumper after that an xr600. what a tractor. slow and un responsive. i am now 18 and riding a 380 mxc and a kx 500.

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 04:17:15 PM »
Update  We raced this weekend they combined the lites with the 450's but scored separate. There were 13 lites bike's and 3 450's. The start Jake was second on the start with a 450 in front. Jake won his class with one 450 in front of him. Second race same start but this time Jake passed him and went on to lead the whole race with about half a lap lead over everybody. Great weekend!

Offline AFG

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 04:23:36 PM »
Awesome! Tell him to keep at it. The guys were right when they said you need to be on top of your game( lazy riders need not apply) to ride a 125 fast. Did you video it?

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 07:30:33 PM »
No I was taking still photos but the hole shot was filmed by a pro photographer that was filming all the starts and parts of the races its for sale I might have to buy it. Thanks