Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: New 2 Stroke Engine Design  (Read 3531 times)

Offline SeniorYamahaRider

• Novice
    • View Profile
New 2 Stroke Engine Design
« on: December 08, 2009, 09:38:48 AM »
http://www.grailengine.com/ It's clean and can run on multiple fuels.
2006 YZ250, 1996 RM125, 1988 NX125, 1980 YZ125, 1973 Bultaco Alpina 350

Recovered

Re: New 2 Stroke Engine Design
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 10:51:04 AM »
What I liked was multiple spark plugs.
Supercharger and intercooler.

What I don't like (in fact I HATE it) Is the fact there is a cam, lifter and pushrod in there. No matter what you do, these will limit RPM, and add complication no on needs.

The real problem lies in the fact that MSOT carburetors are 2 circuit designs, and people STILL don't understand tune ups for 2 strokes. Some even still think it's GOOD that a 2 stroke smoke. It's not. If yout 2 stroke smokes...TUNE IT UP!

Recovered

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 10:59:19 AM »
I forgot about the 2 piece piston. After 25 years of studying pistons and piston design, that just is not acceptable for long tern reliability.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:31:27 AM »
Sort of looks like a four-stroke that runs as a two....

Welcome to the board!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 07:28:43 PM »
I take smoke as a sign that the engine is getting enough oil.  I take it that if you're not seeing smoke, you're probably letting your engine get a little dry.  The 1973 Maico shop manual I carry to school every other day (I'm making an engine in 3D and need reference pictures) insists on a 20:1 mix.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Recovered

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 07:57:53 PM »
If I can get it organized I WILL write a book. Maybe an e-book that you pay to download. I'm not going to write that for free. I have too much invested to "give" it away without some form of compensation. In fact, the General and I have discussed the idea via email (in the most general, pardon the pun) of terms. But nothing solid as of yet. And I still have part 3 of the Maico long term test to finish.

That said, you are no longer using an oil from 1973, correct? Modern oils do not require the concentration levels as older oils did. Jetting must be made accordingly.

I'll say more later............................ 8)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 11:21:59 AM »
Well, I'm still skeptical that a small amount of "super oil" is going to lubricate as well as a larger amount of less-capable stuff.  It seems to me you'd open yourself up to having regions not getting oiled at all.  I could easily be wrong, and I'll admit I have no data to support my idea.

I would dearly love to read a book by you guys.  Guaranteed sale.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?