Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2 Stroke at Hangtown  (Read 10162 times)

Offline Sapper

• Junior
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Stroke at Hangtown
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 12:11:50 PM »
I am so tired of ppl saying "It needs this and that."

BS!!!!! It's a 2 stroke. granted there are quite a few things that can be done to be competitive, but build and dial in the suspension for the rider, add some good reeds, polish the ports, good pipe and a Phathead and ride the SOB.  >:D

A 2 stroke is already built to race, it only needs minor refinements. A 4 stroke is a thumper, made to ride around the woods or race an average class but needs major work to to be all-out race ready. Send me a new YZ/KTM and $1,000. I guarantee the bike will make it through a race.
People are putting too much effort into prepping a 2 stroke for racing. They're fixing what ISN'T broke.

WHy is it you can take a brand new 2 stroke from showroom to track, run the living hell out of it and be fine. A 4 stroke has to have a certain amount of break-in time, oil changed after break-in peroid, etc, etc.

DUUUHHHH. IT'S A RACE MOTOR!!!! It's built this way!!! The absolute, only thing I'd change internally would be the shift drum. Many pro racers (upon my studies) like a very small Neutral detent so it isn't accidentally hit in a race.
If you want cheap & fast, it won't be good.
If you want cheap & good, it won't be fast.
If you want good & fast, it won't be CHEAP

Offline motoman356

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 12:39:55 PM »
BS!!!!! It's a 2 stroke. granted there are quite a few things that can be done to be competitive, but build and dial in the suspension for the rider, add some good reeds, polish the ports, good pipe and a Phathead and ride the SOB.  >

A 2 stroke is already built to race, it only needs minor refinements. A 4 stroke is a thumper, made to ride around the woods or race an average class but needs major work to to be all-out race ready. Send me a new YZ/KTM and $1,000. I guarantee the bike will make it through a race.
People are putting too much effort into prepping a 2 stroke for racing. They're fixing what ISN'T broke.

both motors are 'race' motors the difference is the four stroke has many more parts to be modified. susp on the pro level requires more than just a simple revalve and requires time spent to fine tune it. the motor needs exhaust and reed block bolted on but the cylinder and cases then are blueprinted ported and polished and sometimes with a different powerband than what stock has. in addition the carb is bored to complement the motor. not to mention any personal mods to accomodate rider size

the process of setting up a bike to RACE on the pro level requires a LOT of fine tuning to dial in both rider and bike. racing a 125 requires relearning how to ride one. remember when lamson rolled out at hangtown on  factory125 in 07? he sucked wind. in fact he missed qual by 4 spots and only lined up due to the champion rule.

i made the switch back in 07 off a crf250 to a rm125. it took me about a month just to be quick on it and a few more months to get back into the top 5 of novice class.

dont knock goose for taking his time. hes been around in fact he was on pro cicuit in 06-07 and he was on the amsoil/geico back in 02-03 when he was on a 125 so he knows what it takes to get ready
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:42:26 PM by motoman356 »

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2011, 06:33:07 PM »
I am so tired of ppl saying "It needs this and that."

They're fixing what ISN'T broke.

They're trying to fix that 15 horsepower disadvantage. A stock 125 in a pro national? Its going to need ALOT
2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline Sapper

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2011, 07:50:17 PM »
I'm not knocking him at all. I know there's alot that can go into a race motor. Alot of racers, be it cars dirt, street bikes, karts, etc all want everything they can get. But I personally know alot of people over-compensate on stuff which actually compromises durability. I deal with it every day in my shop. And these are 800+hp racecars. But then sometimes not, $7,000 for a crankshaft is a good investment for an engine running 12,000rpm, pushing 850hp.

But all I can say is I hope they get it built and give those POS thumpers hell. What upsets me is I know KTM could have a "factory" bike that would dominate the field.

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2011, 09:26:20 PM »
I like your passion Sapper! And now that KTM is importing the 2012 125 there HAS to be someone out there who is going to race the beast!
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline motoman356

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2011, 11:47:26 PM »
at the pro level your not worry about long durability. it needs to be durable to last through a weekend of racing. not a month or two like us common folk. in the pros the top end and clutch are rebuilt after every race

Offline Sapper

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2011, 07:31:36 AM »
Long durability is a catchphrase between us and pros. Yes they only need it to run a weekend or a day. But their day is like our month of riding. So they need to be built like they are to last a year. Granted, an OEM crank is ok, but to rebuild one is cheap and easy. That way you use the parts you want vs. a high dollar pro circuit. There are alot of ways to get the best parts at much more affordable prices for the privateer.
I own a speedshop which sells car, truck & bike parts. If you knew what I can get a topend for, for a 2 stroke, you'd crap yourself. The mark-up on bike parts is unreal. I have direct accounts with companies like Cometic since I often have to custom order head gaskets for alot of racecars. Basically I can buy 3 or 4 complete topend gasket sets for the cost of what the normal consumer buys 1 for.

Truthfully, I'm just tired of the capitalism that the Big 5 keep pushing. Either way, I know my 2 strokes will continue to scare the hell out of these thumpers. Especially when my son rides the 250 in lites...then you find out who the whiners are. "A 250 is a 250 is a 250!!!" That's what I say.

I just wish a manufacturer would make a 350 2 stroke for the 450 class. Think about it. If a 250 can run decently with 450s, then the extra 100cc's would push the hp level far beyond a 450's capability. Imagine what the 450 ridrs would say if the 500's were to come back and race the "Open class". The O'Show would be a happy camper.

Offline monsteryz125

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2011, 01:12:53 PM »
Sleeter qualified!!!
2000 yz125

Offline keeptwostrokesalive

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2011, 01:48:37 PM »
Sleeter qualified!!!
Do we know for sure if he was on a two stroke or a 450.

Offline monsteryz125

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2011, 02:09:56 PM »
Not for sure, cant rely on the broadcast because it said alessi would be on 450xc
2000 yz125

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2011, 09:46:56 PM »
Well if he lives up to what he says, then yes.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline IllusionGrafix

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2011, 10:45:40 PM »
sleeter was on a 350