Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Scammers,Scammers and Flim Flammers!  (Read 3475 times)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Scammers,Scammers and Flim Flammers!
« on: May 19, 2011, 07:58:10 AM »
It seems every time I try to sell something over the Internet lately,somebody is trying to rip me off.The method of choice seems to be a variation of the "Nigerian" scam,you know where the scammer sends you more then what you asked for,says "so sorry" that the secretary made a mistake,keep an extra $200 and just send the balance back.

Usually the English is bad,multiple Internet Cafe addresses,all little things to tip me off that I'm dealing with a scammer.

"I'm going to purchase the motorcycle for my Uncle who is employed as a researcher in Antartica","My brother is in Japan with the earthquake relief effort" and "I'm going to have you ship it to England" are some of the more notable lines I've read.Ya right and Bob's my uncle!

A new variation is supplying a PayPal address for instant payment,seems the scammers have found a flaw in that method of exchange.

I've tried,when they get really bad, to "Scam the Scammers".Almost had a crook Western Union me $263.83 for NSF cheque insurance.Anybody else had similar experiences? :-X

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Scammers,Scammers and Flim Flammers!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 08:03:30 AM »
Yep. I don't even respond to emails that just ONLY say "Still for sale?" because that is often someone fishing for emails and I even hate spam email  :D .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 10:06:36 AM »
I attempted to buy a Porsche in Italy. I said my man would meet them at the port to pay them and take posession. I happened to be there so I had a lovely lunch by the sea but no red Cabrio C4.

The add was quickly pulled, all contact info was burned. No sight of them afterwards. Traced the IP's through a couple of proxies to Hong Kong but it ended behind the Great Wall of China.

No loss. It was a fun exercise.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 01:28:56 PM »
I just had a long lost uncle die in Scotland leaving me a 1 million pound inheritance.
I am waiting for the deposit. ;)
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 07:10:35 PM »
Haha yeah. I had the secretary thing happen too. They told me to keep a little more and western union them the rest of the money back. Of course two weeks later the bank would have realized the cashiers check was a fake and taken the money back. Leaving me with no money, in debt and without my item.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline yo_marc

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 09:28:45 AM »
I've had decent luck selling things locally.  Only a few yahoo's email or write lowballing or asking 20 questions over a series of days, then never replying again.

I did come across one local ad for a nice looking 2002 or so Ford Mustang.  The price was too good to be true, so I wanted to hear what the bait was.  I don't remember exactly - something to do with them (posing as a female) being out of the country and I would have to wire money and work with someone here in the states...
'00 RM250
'88 TRX250R

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 05:19:26 PM »
Oops,I naturally assumed by the title this was another "new Maico" thread.My bad. :P
I've never been taken yet but really the only thing I use the net for is email and a few bike,hunting,fishing sites.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.