Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Which tires should I get for my 2001 cr 125  (Read 16988 times)

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
Which tires should I get for my 2001 cr 125
« on: November 29, 2009, 05:58:44 PM »
I ride trails and motocross regularly, and I am definitely not drowning in money, I am 16. I have a whole variety of terrain(I live in western canada, I could see sand, rock, hardpack, or mud, maybe snow), that I ride on, and the motocross track that I race on is hard pack. I want something that I won't have to replace right away, but gets good traction, I was looking at motosport.com's Artrax tires, and i have never heard of the brand before, but the reviews seem positive, the price for this tire set(front and back), is half the price of dunlops tire set. So, if anyone could help me out with which tires I should get, that would be great.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 06:01:56 PM by Hondacrrider »
I'd rather be riding...

Offline Alec S

• Junior
    • View Profile
Re: Which tires should I get for my 2001 cr 125
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 07:27:09 PM »
I have some used tires you can have if you want to pay shipping from Vermont USA.

Invest in a 'Knobby Knife' and you'll get some miles out or them...

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 10:07:46 PM »
thanks, but, I can really cut these tires, I bought this bike this fall, and the tire is completely done, and as for those tires, it's ok, I will probably buy new, you should just give them to someone local
I'd rather be riding...

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 04:42:27 AM »
Hondacrrider - Why don't you just try those new tires?

Since you need new tires and these are half the price of the Dunlops, it's worth it to give them a try. Over the years you will have the opportunity to try many different tires on your bikes, some will be better than others, some that you really like will be discontinued and newer ones will come out that you'll like even better than your favorites.

Ride them until the knobs are worn down! And then let everyone here know what your experience was like.

Good Luck!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 03:25:27 PM »
Thanks, ya, I think i might get the new tires, might as well, I am just worried that they will be crap tires, and that they won't perform, and, the reviews on the dunlop mx-51 have been really good
I'd rather be riding...

Offline Alec S

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 03:38:31 PM »
I'm running a 51 on the rear and like it. 

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 03:42:48 PM »
ya, dirt rider said it was like the best tire they had tested in a long time, so, I don't know, actually, I think i am just going to bite he bullet and buy the cheaper ones, write a review, and stick it on here, but ya, if anyone needs new tires, this is a pretty good deal, 50 percent off on these tires, so it is 60 dollars for the front and rear tire, from motosport.com
I'd rather be riding...

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 04:22:23 PM »
As long as you keep in mind that these are inexpensive tire you will be fine with them.

It would be a different story if you were a Pro racer or a top expert, you might decide to get one of the name brand tires. Although when you are a pro racer, you get the best tires pretty inexpensively at the Pro Races.

I checked out the tires on Moto Sport and here are the specs.

The 125/250F Tire Combo from Artrax allows you to choose any front and rear combination of the following Artrax tire models. Get exactly what you need in size and features, at prices that you will not be able to say no to.

Artrax SX1 Details

* Intermediate/Hard Terrain.
    * Shoulder knobs help you put power down in the turns.
    * Stiff sidewall with 4-ply construction to resist punctures.
    * Widely spaced knobs which help to prevent the tire from getting completely packed with mud and dirt.

Artrax SX2 Details

* Soft Terrain.
    * Offers excellent mud performance.
    * Lug spacing helps shed mud and build up for better cornering and breaking.

Artrax TG4 Details

* Soft/Intermediate Terrain.
    * Front tire features T style shoulder knobs that help you put power down in the turns.
    * Rear tire features a cupped style tread pattern to increase straight line traction and ribbed sub-tread between the knobs add control through soft sand and dirt.
    * Widely spaced knobs to prevent the buildup of dirt.

Artrax SE3 Details

* Intermediate Terrain.
    * The toughest, most competitive enduro style tire from Atrax.
    * If you need the burliest tire to get the job done, the SE3 is the right choice.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/ARTRAX-125250F-TIRE-COMBO/?catalogId=112846
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 05:09:59 PM »
yes, but, for racing, will these tires cut it?
I'd rather be riding...

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 05:11:51 PM »
ya, I mean the price is definetly attractive
I'd rather be riding...

Offline Alec S

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 05:35:53 PM »
Fast = Suspension, fitness and technique/skills.

If you aren't going fast it's not the tires. Sorry.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 05:44:07 PM »
ok, thanks guys, my mind is made up, I will go with the cheaper tires, and put the money that I save towards chain and sprockets, and other riding gear, and, ya, i gotta work on my supension too, I am replacing fork fluid pretty soon, making the forks stiffer, because, I tend to bottom out a lot
I'd rather be riding...

Offline RM250 Evan

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 07:47:58 PM »
I just want to let u know, that the front artrax tire I bought for my rm125 was a defective and would no seat properly on the rim. The tire was just a tad too small but motosport was very helpful and refunded me my whole money. Just my 2 cents go for the better brands.
2007 RM250......RIP '92 50z, '87 YZ80, '02 RM125, and '06 YZ125

Braaaaappp!!! 2 Strokes 4 Life!!!

Recovered

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 01:31:04 PM »
For where you are riding, I would look at the Maxxis tires. They are relatively inexpensive and work good out here in the west.

I NEVER worried about tires for groomed MX tracks. Anything should work out there.

Be careful about the fluid. If you are planning on increasing the fluid level (decreasing the air chamber) it will get stiffer, SOONER. Unless you are 200 pounds plus, you should be able to get some help with the clickers.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 10:24:54 PM »
Well, I ordered the artrax tires, and, I ordered a set of steel sprockets(yes steel, I know they are heavier, but guess what, they last longer, they are cheaper, and, they work just as good) and the most basic chain I could find, I decided to drop a tooth on the front sprocket and might play with gear ratios a bit, although i don't know what to expect, I am so bad with this sport, my Dad is a fisherman, and has never owned motorcycles, I have gotten into this sport by myself, so, I learn from my friends, who learn from magazines, so, my info may not be 100% correct, but I am learning as fast as I can, and will listen to any advice I can get, especially from experienced riders/mechanics, so, i was wondering, if, i could maybe help everyone else out with an article about the tires and gearing(may not be such a great article, but who knows), and, in return, can someone help me with jetting, I am completely lost, and feel like such an idiot, because it's so simple, it's just a vacuum, anyways, if someone could point me in the right direction that would be super.
I'd rather be riding...