Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Had to be towed from my ride yesterday...help please!  (Read 5819 times)

Offline cman

• Novice
    • View Profile
Had to be towed from my ride yesterday...help please!
« on: April 11, 2011, 09:26:58 AM »
First time out after a topend rebuild. Went through the break-in period for the first 30 min then when out trail riding. After a 20 mins the bike gently stalled and when I tried kick starting it, the lever was fully locked.

Could this be a clutch basket related issue? Please help!

2006 RM250 with Steahly Flywheel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Had to be towed from my ride yesterday...help please!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 10:21:33 AM »
Unfortunately you are going to have to pull the top end. Any time the lever locks up is never good. Generally it means the top end seized or there is an issue with the crank.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Harley Elliott 594

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 02:42:43 PM »
something sounds wrong if you only took 30 mins to do a break in process
TSM RACING 594

Offline cman

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 03:07:42 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm gonna start looking at the clutch side first and isolate the issue from there.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 03:45:29 PM »
I will really be surprised if it is a clutch issue. I know you are hoping for that as it seems easier, but it is VERY doubtful the problem lies there.

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 09:41:48 AM »
I'd break it in using three (15 minute) heat cycles. Idle the bike for the first two cycles without twisting the throttle past 1/3. Do the same for the second heat cycle but don't twist the throttle past 1/2. For the third cycle, walk it into first gear trying not to pass 1/2 throttle and put around for a bit. Then either the day i go riding or the day before i find a nice flat area to walk it through the gears to make sure everything is working nicely. Let it cool one last time, then ride like a regular day (after warming it up of course).
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 05:12:04 AM »
I'd break it in using three (15 minute) heat cycles. Idle the bike for the first two cycles without twisting the throttle past 1/3. Do the same for the second heat cycle but don't twist the throttle past 1/2. For the third cycle, walk it into first gear trying not to pass 1/2 throttle and put around for a bit. Then either the day i go riding or the day before i find a nice flat area to walk it through the gears to make sure everything is working nicely. Let it cool one last time, then ride like a regular day (after warming it up of course).
oh no not the dreaded heat cycle debate. If all i've done is replace a piston then i barely run it in at all, doesn't need it in my opinion. In fact i strongly believe that you can do more damage and impair performance by putting around like you say and not putting any load on the motor. without load you don't get a decent ring seal and strong possibility of excessive ring blow by.
And cman i really doubt it's a clutch issue because unless tou've had the cases split it's separate to the motor turning freely.

Offline pushdogg

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 07:13:12 AM »
When you put your top-end back on did you remember to put coolant in it?

EDIT: i would like to add that when you do find out what the problem is, that you post what it is.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:08:47 AM by pushdogg »
98 rm125
89 yz490(work in progress)

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 08:29:56 AM »
did you lubricate the rings and ring grooves, the wrist pin and needle bearing, and the cylinder walls with two stroke oil?
I do the 15 minute heat cycle as well x 3
with a oil fuel mixture of 26:1 the step down to 32:1
also did you retourque the cylinder and head bolts after your heat cycle?
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 09:22:21 AM »
oh no not the dreaded heat cycle debate. If all i've done is replace a piston then i barely run it in at all, doesn't need it in my opinion. In fact i strongly believe that you can do more damage and impair performance by putting around like you say and not putting any load on the motor. without load you don't get a decent ring seal and strong possibility of excessive ring blow by.
And cman i really doubt it's a clutch issue because unless tou've had the cases split it's separate to the motor turning freely.

Lol I'm not a good enough mechanic to debate something like this but it's how I was taught how to do it and it works great for me. I got a long life out of my 125 and thats exactly what I want.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline cman

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 03:39:09 PM »

EDIT: i would like to add that when you do find out what the problem is, that you post what it is.

Yes, I made sure and actually used engine ice. Unfortunately I've been down with no motivation to open it up right now so I can't update anyone yet. I'm hoping to get my spirits back by this weekend and let you guys know.

Thanks so much for all the advice.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 05:37:52 PM »
Come on cman. It only takes 5 minutes to take the head off to get an idea of what is wrong.
You can do it.

You can do it montage.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:39:28 PM by TMKIWI »
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline pushdogg

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 09:52:21 PM »

Yes, I made sure and actually used engine ice. Unfortunately I've been down with no motivation to open it up right now so I can't update anyone yet. I'm hoping to get my spirits back by this weekend and let you guys know.

Thanks so much for all the advice.

Not to bust your balls, but I could take the entire bike apart in a couple hours. I'm with TM!....doesn't take much time to take the top off and have a look.
98 rm125
89 yz490(work in progress)

Offline graham472

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 12:20:36 AM »
What's a heat cycle? Is it a Yank thing? Here in Oz we fix it then wring it, no probs ;D

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 05:17:18 AM »
I don't know why so many people leave their location blank. Someone cannot steal your identity just by knowing what state or country you are in!

Ok done ranting. My point is if we knew where you lived, maybe someone is close and can give you a hand. I am alway swilling to help people that are anywhere near Pittsburgh.