Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 89 yz490 drag project  (Read 9347 times)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: 89 yz490 drag project
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 06:57:31 PM »
Do you have the correct flywheel puller or are you using a universal claw puller?

Offline pushdogg

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 08:41:12 AM »
It is the correct puller......left hand threads on the bottom and a bolt going through that. The bolt going through won't even move inside the bottom piece....its mushroomed that badly......we tried adding heat.....the heat may have contributed to the failure of the tool but we only used propane(didn't think it got that hot). I should be back at it by this weekend.....my friend and I are going to try to devise something between now and then.
98 rm125
89 yz490(work in progress)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 05:06:44 PM »
In theory if you remove oxidation and then apply sufficient pressure it is possible to bond (weld) two pieces of metal together.Having said that,I have worked on one Ossa and one Yamaha where that is the only possible explanation for not being able to get the flywheel off.In each case when I finally got the flywheel off,part of the crank taper came off stuck to the flywheel.

Be very careful working on your Yamaha's crankshaft,some of the older Yamis are fragile in the main bearing area.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 07:46:05 PM »
I have found with tapered seats that if you put the right amount of pressure on the puller and then give it a nice sharp crack with a hammer they will come off easy.
You need to know what you are doing so you dont damage the crank.
We do it on outboards every day.
If the flywheel has spun, well thats abit harder.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline pushdogg

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 10:52:10 PM »
after a much closer look(and a new day), we found that it did move about a quarter inch or so. still very marginal given the tool is completely shot, more pb blaster and propane i guess. im going to try to fit a pice of threaded dowel into the bottom half of the puller and bend it around a heavy tube, for a make-shift slide hammer. the tricky part might be making sure the blows arent sharp enough to crack anything.
98 rm125
89 yz490(work in progress)

Offline KDX 220R

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 04:09:20 PM »
That Is One Slick Machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Put Some Paddles On Her And I Bet She'd Be a Good Toy For The Dunes!!! :P :P :P

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 09:55:35 PM »
Believe me, I almost bought a yz490 for my tri-z when I had it just at the thought of an ultimate dune rig.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!