Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: New Fork Springs  (Read 4817 times)

Offline yo_marc

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: New Fork Springs
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 08:46:37 AM »
Sweet!  Great to hear things are working out so well on your bike.  And thanks for passing a word along on the company too.  Will certainly keep them in mind if I need to re-spring.

I did a little suspension tweaking myself yesterday -- simply reset the sag in the shock.  Took about two turns out.  I am amazed at what a difference that made.  Like you - I was out on the trails plowing over things just for the sake of trying it. The bike was so much more settled and balanced - I'd highjack your thread talking about it all.  I'm pumped to get back out and ride again.
'00 RM250
'88 TRX250R

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 09:19:25 AM »
Ha ha, that's cool man, that's why I posted, everyone likes to talk about tweaking thier ride, especially when it's a positive tweak. Did you notice increased stability at speed as well? The adjustment you made to the preload on your shock spring, increased the rake at the head tube, it should be a lot more stable at speed now, if it's too slow turning, raise your forks a tad in the clamps, 1-2 mm.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline yo_marc

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 11:50:45 AM »
Thanks for that tip!  I wasn't able to try any real high speed stuff, but at a decent pace on some typical New England trails the bike feels a lot more stable and holds a line a lot better.  It had an annoying tendency to kind of fall into corners before, making it hard to stay on line.

The biggest improvement was how well the rear stays planted.  It used to kick and buck rather unpredictably, and make the front feel heavy in whoops or rough stuff. It's so much better now - the rear is composed and plush, and it holds its line up or through all kinds of junk.  I had some fun goofing around trying to double jump rocks and logs on the trail yesterday.

I honestly just pulled the bike out of storage where it's sat for a handful of years.  I had a shop revalve the suspension for woods shortly before I parked the bike, but I wasn't able to spend much time getting it set up.  I just had the bike out for its first ride last weekend, the second ride last night...  So even with my limited seat time - I'm really impressed.

I see a lot of kids on message boards asking what mods to do to their bike - pipe, silencer, etc.  I always though it was the old boring guys that would harp 'save your money and do the suspension'... but man... now I'm one of them I guess.

'00 RM250
'88 TRX250R

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 06:13:17 AM »
You will never know till you do it.
You can spend $1000s on motor mods and exhaust systems to produce more or better power, fancy billet this and that to lighten the bike up, the best tires in the world, the newest armpump eliminating handlebars, etc.....
 But you will never know the true performance potential from your bike until it has the proper spring rates for your weight and a quality valving job for the conditions you ride.

If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.