Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: *EXPERTS PLEASE HELP 03 KX250 SHIFTING PROBLEMS*  (Read 7479 times)

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: *EXPERTS PLEASE HELP 03 KX250 SHIFTING PROBLEMS*
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 08:32:19 AM »
If it ain't broke, I can't fix it.
sounds like something on your gearbox came loose and is in there, get a magnetic drain plug, or just drain the oil, and see if it comes out to determine what it is, if nothing comes out, roll out, roll the motor around and use a telescopic magnet to try and fish it out.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 12:16:10 AM »
You coulda pulled the engine case with the motor still in place. Couldn't you?

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 05:29:35 AM »
no the motor mount bolts go through the case halves, he could have taken off the clutch cover with the engine in the frame, but it still sounds as if he's got a major problem.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 11:19:38 PM »
no the motor mount bolts go through the case halves, he could have taken off the clutch cover with the engine in the frame, but it still sounds as if he's got a major problem.
Yeah thats what i meant, you can expose the shifter mechanism this way though without pulling the motor.

Offline Ready2rise

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 08:13:24 PM »
I've recently repaired two ATVs with symptoms similar to your KX ie: stuck in gear.The gearboxes in the ATVs are basically identical to your bike.In one ATV the selector pin was sheared off of the shift drum indexing "star" the result being that the shifter pawl could not index (move) the shift drum and so the bike was stuck in that gear.In the case of the other ATV the shifter pawl itself was broken so it could not move the indexing "star".In both cases I was able to replace the offending part without having to split the centre cases.In both cases these parts broke as a result of the shifter being kicked.

I could be wrong but I'm quite certain that if you pull off your clutch to expose the KX's shift mechanism you'll find the problem.

Im extremely appreciative that youre a member of this website! I bought a new shift mech. and it cured my ailments! The old parts had lots of wear and even some of the thread lock stuff was chipping and floating around in there. I got everything fixed and running again, it was a first time experience for me to have my bike apart trying to be a mechanic lol but thanks to the guys that left feedback Im up and running again ;D Thanks!

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 08:09:12 AM »
Try changing the oil once in a while, that will really help add longevity to your transmission, and give you an idea what's floating around in the bottom

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 08:38:42 AM »
Glad to be of service. ;D