Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Finally got my daughter to ride  (Read 5189 times)

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
Finally got my daughter to ride
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:22:39 AM »
Well yesterday i finally got my daughter on her bike. 07 RM85, I origionally gave her the KX100 but she was intimidated by it's power after seeing me ride it,  >:D lol. So my wife claimed it.
Any who....
My buddy that got the soon to be open NDFS OHV park together, has a son that's her age, and he rides, they met a couple of weeks ago while we were cutting trail for the park. And I think she wants to impress him, lol.
 so ....
 She asked if we were going riding this weekend last tuesday,  ;D, and of course I was stoked.
She decided she wanted to ride the RM85, my friends son rides an RM125  ::) go figure, huh? And keep in mind this 85 is pimped, SST pipe, shorty, Vforce3,hinson clutch,...But I think it's smaller stature is less intimidating to her, hahaha, or she just wants to ride yellow like her new "friend"
Either way the RM smokes the KX, which it bone stock besides the FMF Q, and suspension valving.
So I get out on the open road at the area, and tell her to start it up, lmao,(she has ridden a motorcycle before, it was an XR100 that was rebuilt by son dumbass, off timing and had about a 1/2" of gasket sealer on the base gasket, so it was a total roach). she kicked it 15 times before she figured out the feel, then she proceeded to stall it out 20 times. The plug fouled, and I changed it from a 10 to a 9, and WOW it ran better, not even sure why the 10 was in there. So she gets it going and gets up to second gear just giving it enough gas to keep it moving, and gets about 3/4 of a mile down the road and stops at a mud puddle. OK so she pushes the bike around the puddle, and gets back on, the whole time she's sitting on the back of the seat, she's 5'9", and I keep telling her to move up ion the seat and keep your elbows bent, she's ignoring me, haha. so I'm parked in front of her, and she starts going, sitting on the back of the seat like iI told her not to do, arms almost straight, and she turms the bars left to go around me and gets a big hand full of throttle!! HAHA I was laughing and terrified at the same time.she was headed right at a big pine tree, she turned right and over corrected, but let off the throttle, for a second till she recorrected and got another big handfull of throttle. which actually straightened her out and she grabbed the clutch and front brake and came to a stop.
When I got up to her she was stark white, and almost crying, still sitting on the back of the seat. I asked her why she thinks that happened, and she's like "IDK"
so I told her to turn the bars, and she did and that's when she realized that she was over extending her arms, well she moved up on the seat, and after some coaxing and compleiments, we got going again. she was doing ok. but refused to shift up to third, lol, which resulted in another visit to "In the pipe land" she finally started to shift up after that.

Next weekend...
Turning 101
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
Re: Finally got my daughter to ride
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 11:19:19 AM »
Haha nice. :)

Offline snowboarderro

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 12:06:13 PM »
sweet and pics? :d

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 01:43:07 PM »
Good stuff. Glad she gave it another try after scaring herself. Sounds a lot like the first time my nephew rode that KX60 I rebuilt, except he flipped it from sitting too far back and and then wouldn't ride it again :( .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 03:52:24 PM »
That's why I recommend teaching beginner riders on the crf70 or 80. Short, easy power, controllable, quiet. Beginner riders are not intimidated by it. However hearing an 85 is pretty intimidating to a new rider.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 06:38:56 PM »
I think it's the younger the better in terms of starting them off.  Not like toddler age, of course, but when they're big enough to handle a 50, that should be a good starting place.  And then before that, doing some tandem riding will get them used to what it's like to be on a bike and not only will the intimidation factor go down, but they'll also be excited as hell to start riding because now they know it's so fun.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 09:47:22 PM »
I agree Jetz. I started of at 4 on a QE50. Still got it.
All my niece's & nephew's have learnt to ride the same bike from 5 and 6 years old and have moved up in size ever since.
I used to take my youngest niece for rides on the fuel tank from when she was 9 months old and she loved it. Always asking when uncle was coming round to take her for another ride. ;D
She is now 10 and rides more then her older brother.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 10:38:49 PM »
She's been around it her whole life, I used to ride her around  when she was a baby, now she rides to school on the back of my DR, when I get her the XR100( I originally thought was an XR80) a few years ago she would ride it around quite a bit, but her girlfriends were all, "Tomboy" this and that so she kinda shyed away from it. She was talking about how much fun she had tonight at dinner,  showing off the goose egg bruise on the back of her leg from the kick starter, and asking if we were going riding again this weekend.
My answer..
As long as all your chores get done, and there are no problems at school. ;D
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 12:33:05 AM »
Oh geez those right there are 75% of the reasons I don't ride more.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline snowboarderro

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 03:48:57 AM »
when i started riding i had a 50 cc bike

i was around 12-13 years old

the bike had 21 inch front rim  and 18 the rear

when we when to the track the other kids(on 65 kx and yz 80) passed me at hill climbing but i passed them at downhill :d

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 05:42:08 AM »
Yeah when I got them the bikes, the deal was  "they are my bikes, and you can ride them as long as you keep up you school work, do your chores and don't get in trouble at school." It's working wonders on my youngest son, but my daughter until the last couple of weeks has not been so enthusiastic. She is the combination of her mother and me X10, bad combo, worse attitude, more stubborn than a wild goat, and prettier than an angel. FML ???

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 08:02:06 AM »
At one point I had an old CT70 that the kids in the area were free to learn how to ride on.Well Anthony (5'3" and 200 lbs) figures it's time to learn how to ride,I'm mowing the lawn, and he launches that poor CT70 off of the compost pile and airborne into the side of the nieghbour's tin garden shed.The sound of the impact echoed up and down the street.Anthony was o.k. and to this day you can still see the outline of that CT70 in the garden shed! :-X

Offline Harley Elliott 594

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 08:22:11 PM »
I got my ex girl friend to ride a yz 80 and she hated it and she said she wouldnt ever ride again then i finally talked her into riding our yz 125 we have and she loves it and she rides it 100 times better than the 80 kinda weird haha
TSM RACING 594

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 04:25:37 AM »
I'm sure the reason is that the 80 is all rip n git, where as the 125 has more bottom end, haha funny, 125 with bottom end, and is easier to ride.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 08:32:21 PM »
She would've loved the 120; it's got lots of bottom-end.  Problem is, of course, it doesn't really have much top-end to speak about.  You might say it's like a four-stroke except it's not heavy, and it's gone 43 years without a rebuild and hasn't even thought about top-end trouble.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?