Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Cédric Soubeyras.. Done with 2 stroke..  (Read 12191 times)

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
Re: Cédric Soubeyras.. Done with 2 stroke..
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2011, 12:24:33 PM »
Well, IMO I don't see the Big 4 going to a 350 anytime soon. I would like to get the inside info on who KTM talked to at the AMA to try and get the displacement rule to 350. The choice for KTM is, to decide if they want to keep going with their 350 even if nothing else changes, or pursue other options. I wish KTM would follow that action and aggessiveness for the 2-stroke (obviously, that's what we all want). Even so, KTM could only benefit by campaigning a 2-stroke in SX at least. It would be nice if Sleeter would convince them to offer amatuer support for 2-stroke riders (the 150 and 250). At least some kind of 2-stroke support! Everyone's scared.

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2011, 02:19:02 PM »
KTM Did Not lobby the AMA to try to change the capacity rules.

THough I doubt they would stand against a 350 limit , now that they have the jump on other manufacturers. ;D

It's, I feel, just an extension / distortion / Chinese whispers coming from how Steve Whitlock talked about how the horse had bolted with regards to capacity rules (I think , several times, he was quoted as saying it should have been something like 200cc 4ts / 125cc 2ts, and, 350/400 4ts vs 250 2ts.

The major companies had put their efforts into 250 and 450s - the major companies basically said no.

Lluongo (with , I think, a bit of advice from Whitlock) tried to put up a reduction from 450 to 350, approx 3 years ago. As I said, the major companies, with so much invested, And, for once, with common sense, said no. The argument that it is for safety is spurious at best. You can get hurt on any sized bike. 450s are not evil machines - either were 500s, but the 450s are definitely more usable for the average Joe, through to the fastest rider in the world. Modern 2ts will be, perhaps, even more usable than any 350 /450 4t.

Whitlock is still around and a power within the FIM and the sport , in general - he was at Phillip Island World Superbikes, dealing with tech matters recently.

Lluongo and his cohorts are the Svengali's of MX - he and the various companies he's been involved with have been behind the various rule changes / format changes etc of World MX. All along making vast amounts of money, while trashing the sport. I don't give a damn about the fancy pits , 18 wheelers, sponsor hospitality suites etc that he, and some others claim have improved the sport. They all would have come naturally, with the 'blinging' of society / all sports, that has been a natural progression. TV / internet coverage would still have happened. The crowds, and comparative exposure of the sport, really hasn't risen much, if at all, when compared to what it was 30 years ago. Like all sports, it has just got more glitzy. Look at videos of GPs of earlier eras - dependent on the country, the crowds were massive, there were more riders able to make a living at racing, and  general societies recognition of MX was just the same as it is now, other than the rise of SX - the 'dog and pony' side of our sport.

Lloungo has been quoted as wanting to bring the starting gates at GPs down to 20, and probably has in mind that there will be only one GP class. It's all about making money for him, no matter what he says about loving the sport. Most anyone would 'love' the sport they have so much control over, that makes them so much money, and gives them so much power. A world championship sport that has NO prize money, on the argument that it's being put back into the sport - he's really got things worked out.

The KTM 350, is a good thing - it fits between the 250 and 450, and is representative of how KTM goes for as many niches as they can. The Real sales from the 350 will come from the Off Road world - they will sell so many to the average bloke.

Rant over. You may have noticed I'm p****d off at what's happened to our sport, largely under the auspices of Lluongo

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2011, 04:40:19 PM »
I am not surprised they got cedric on the 350. Ktm have put a lot of money into it with some mixed results. It takes a different kind of style to go fast on a 350 and coming from a two stroke cedric might have what it takes. They are selling well in oz tho. Ktm are reluctant to cut a deal on one as it will sell the next day.

There won't be a move to all 350's either. Even de Costa said that they are down on power an at a disadvantage I'm supercross. Makes me wonder why they Havnt home to the 450 yet. KIA ride worth more than a title?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2011, 04:46:12 PM »
I wonder if Lluongo is mates with Bernie Ecclestone ? >:(
Both, self righteous pricks.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Micahdogg

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2011, 09:26:32 PM »
I don't know where I got the notion, but I was under the impression that Steve Whitlock is working for/with KTM in some capacity these days?  That is where I drew the "KTM pushing for 350" conclusions.  I know I read this somewhere.
2011 KTM 250SX, 1986 ATC250R

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2011, 06:09:04 AM »
I wonder if Lluongo is mates with Bernie Ecclestone ? >:(
Both, self righteous pricks.

It's not often I thoroughly agree with a Kiwi (    :o grrrrrrrrrr.....) but you couldn't be more correct. I will now be hunted down by the 'never be nice to a Kiwi' police.

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2011, 06:34:39 AM »
I don't know where I got the notion, but I was under the impression that Steve Whitlock is working for/with KTM in some capacity these days?  That is where I drew the "KTM pushing for 350" conclusions.  I know I read this somewhere.

Bloody Hell, if you're right with that, It IS a cause for concern. That bloke has got some serious pull in racing, KTM have massive pull in GPs - there may well be something in it.

I'm normally quite a critic of the undue influence that the big manufacturers have over racing, but on the watering  down of the premier class, I'd back Honda ( the Big Gorilla) and the other mfrs all the way in keeping the class limit up at 450, even though, for the manufacturers, it would be more about their profits, than respect for the MX1 class.

I'll have to do some further checking, though I've not seen a sign of him being in KTMs payroll. I do know, his views (ironically, in a belated, "we royally stuffed up the capacity limits" sense, not Lluongos "450s are too fast" bs) can mesh well with Lluongos agenda - and the combo of Youth Stream, and a bloke with decades of influence, at very high levels, is a very worrying thing indeed.

Ultimately, Lluongos agenda, I believe, after following his trail of destruction in MX over many years, is one of One single class at the GPs - 350s. And only 20 riders on the gate. He wants his own version of MotoGP. 250s, like the MX3 class - (500/650) would be reduced to a sideshow. All in the pursuit of the $$$$$$ - with no care for the sport.

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2011, 07:28:50 AM »
That is what we will get, when idiots are in control....

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2011, 11:06:36 AM »
It's not often I thoroughly agree with a Kiwi (    :o grrrrrrrrrr.....) but you couldn't be more correct. I will now be hunted down by the 'never be nice to a Kiwi' police.

Where has the love gone bearorso ?  ;)
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2011, 11:35:34 AM »
I completely agree....the KTM350 is junk.
any 4 pig is junk ;) :P
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2011, 02:44:26 PM »
Where has the love gone bearorso ?  ;)
[/quote]

Ask it to Mr. Giuseppe Luongo... or Mr. Whitelock.
I have to admit, pro racing has gone crazy.