Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: YZ Project pics.  (Read 64640 times)

Offline keeptwostrokesalive

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: YZ Project pics.
« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2011, 10:12:48 AM »
Can you make me one too. ;D

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2011, 11:03:34 AM »
Can I throw my two cents in and I don't mean to come off sounding like a jerk or anything...

Your bike looks freaking great. Seriously it looks fantastic.

I think you have a fantastic story here. I mean not only is it interesting in that it makes people THINK about the fact that these other items besides just the piston need maint., but it shows them "Hey bearings, linkage, lube etc...".

I think the 144cc kit is fantastic because the YZ125 is one of the most popular bikes made. So it gives owners with roached cylinders an alternative - and not only an alternative but a BETTER alternative because it gives it more power and makes it easier to ride and certainly that creates better lap times.

I also think that whether or not you put a pro on it or a rank amateur is 100% unimportant. It's an interesting article - look at some of the tests they do in the magazines such as "budget bikes" they talk about their build but they rarely race them! Those articles happen all the time - why? Simple not everyone can afford a $10,000 race ready thumper.

What you did here was fun, exciting to those reading it because they wanted to see it happen and well it developed "interest" and so that makes it a 100% success.

Does this bike have to win nationals? No... can it race against 250F's at the local level? Maybe with a good rider on it -but- it also shows you can build something, have fun and not spend a trillion dollars by building a bike you already have.

Now here is an FYI. IRONICALLY The first ever motorcycle test on the internet was called "CAN AN OLDER BIKE BE COMPETITIVE and it was a KX500 that was built up exactly like this YZ125 was... From bottom to top from scratch. This story reminds me of that one very much...

Good job guys... and the first line said I hope I don't come off snotty... That was in ref to some saying this was going to HURT if you didn't build a race winner... not every bike is a race winner, ask KTM and the guys riding 350SX thumpers... what you did do was post a WINNER of a story for everyone to read and follow along with. And that is what this is all about.

Peace, Mikeee P

Mike, I agree. The project wasnt about putting the fastest rider on the bike, it was about showing what can be done, and showing how cool the thing can look! The bike is currently out there for the FANS to race! It was a family project
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline Mikeee P

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2011, 12:27:49 PM »
Hahaha now THAT is where I might disagree with ya - I don't think I'd let anyone ride that bike after I built it! hahaha...

I'm really impressed with the way the bike "looks". It's unique in the red white but not normal Yamaha red and white colors... very cool.

Peace, Mike Patrick aka Mikeee P

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2011, 01:19:25 PM »
The bike looks and sounds absolutely awesome!! Great job on the build, I am honored to have been a part of the project by being able top vote on the different aspects of the build, I just wish I could have gotten my hands dirty. ;D
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline keeptwostrokesalive

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2011, 04:23:34 PM »
So what did jeremy think about the bike.

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
Thanks guys! I am so glad it's finished, I'm sure you are too.
Jeremy liked it, he only got 3 or so laps on it. The front end slid out on some hard pack, tore his elbow up, X-Rays on Wednesday. :/

It wasn't as smooth as I would like, I just finished up correcting the jetting issue. It runs much better now. :)
More pics and vids to come. :)

Offline JE97

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2011, 07:01:17 PM »
Aww shoot! Hope he's okay. Wouldn't want him to miss any races : :(

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 27, 2011, 09:59:51 PM »
Is TSM jinxed with it's rider's. :(
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2011, 11:21:01 PM »
Haha no Harley has been excellent this season!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2011, 03:24:27 PM »
Sweet.Good job Charles.Two arthritic thumbs up!  8)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2011, 04:11:59 PM »
Hahaha

Offline Mikeee P

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2011, 07:48:34 AM »
It's a controversial topic but I had problems with some of the jetting issues on many of the 144cc builds I did (CR134, KTM144, RM144, KX144 etc...)...

The KTM was a jetting nightmare. I tried everything and then I was given the opportunity to try something. I was the first mag to test the iCAT. I put it on the KTM144 and it didn't run a bit better. I was riding on a track where it was wide open everywhere... there was one section I didn't like and I turned around and started to roll it on - WHOA - the bike had so much more midrange, and was so much more crisp I was shocked! I plugged it in, undid it. Plugged it in and tested again, undid it again... there wasn't a single question that the roll on power and the actual jetting woes almost completely disappeared.

As I was putting those words on the web - basically that the bikes jetting was cleaner and it pulled much harder without really offering any more peak power that I could see - my friend Timmy Ferry tested one and here is a full factory rider at the time and his words were almost exactly what mine were. Way crisper, pulled harder, but didn't really seem to offer any more hp just like perfect jetting... I mean I literally couldn't tell it was on there when I was holding it WFO - but man, get down there and have to roll it on some and it was like a different bike.

I got scoffed at quite a bit for my story but stuck with it and stick with it to this day - and the riders that raced with it stick with it... So consider trying one if you can get your hands on it. They seem to work really well on the 144cc bikes!

BTW they did a dyno test once and it showed no gains - but DYNO's of course the dyno was tested at full throttle SETTINGS... had they used 50%/75% throttle settings I wonder how much more power it might have been making than the stock bike! Only Donn Maeda from MXRacer Magazine now Transworld MX stepped up and said he saw a diff and liked it... Give 'em a shot. Tom Wallace was the last one selling them as a distributor here in America. He's a former factory mechanic and I believe he has a shop in Nevada now.

Peace, Mikeee P
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 07:51:32 AM by Mikeee P »

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2011, 08:02:23 AM »
Spark enhancer?

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2011, 10:02:05 PM »
yep

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2011, 07:12:17 AM »
Yeah I've heard alot bout them, they really make a difference on the 125 and 144 modded bikes in the middle
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.