Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Advice For Best Exhaust With Huge Top End Hit  (Read 12109 times)

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Advice For Best Exhaust With Huge Top End Hit
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 04:25:28 PM »
Hey Jet,
I took my silencer off my KX125 one day, just to see how loud it would be, and holy crap is it loud, even with a helmet on. Needless to say I put it back on after about 15 minutes of riding around.

Recovered

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 07:21:19 AM »
Again, Jennings says that because of pipe design, mufflers make no difference. Their length will affect sound output.

As for unmuffled 2T's being louder than 4T's...anything without mufflers is loud. But, a decibel meter does NOT "hear" things like a human ear. So, different sound (pressure) waves will affect the ear differently. A 2T has a different sound wave than a 4T, as does a nitromethane burning car does. We can't say what is loud relative to our ear, because sound is generally measured with the decibel "A" meter.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 09:52:48 PM »
I've got Gordon Jennings handbook but i can say with certainty that my bike doesn't run as well without the silencer and sounds like sh*t

Recovered

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 07:06:18 AM »
I think Jennings was comparing a pipe designed to use without a muffler verses a pipe designed to work with a muffler.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 03:30:40 AM »
Hi I have a KX 250 yr 2000 and my brother has a YZ250 yr 2004. I like my engine powerband to come on like a light-switch so there is little power down below then it suddently kicks in with a crazy hit and a hugh power surge in the higher RPMs. I was just wondering if anyone knew the best pipe to get the engine tuned like that? I know the gnarly FMF type pipes are supposed to give more bottom end torque at the expense of higher end revs - but does anyone know a pipe that would do the opposite? 

Thanks!
Wire the powervalve open. Best pipe will be one designed to work like that, not a biscut cutter off the shelf pipe.

Offline Chokey

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 05:00:57 PM »
Removing the silencer will only give you a headache if you ride without a helmet.  If you keep your helmet on (and your bike isn't giant) you should be okay.  I never ride with a silencer on my '67 Kawasaki and the noise is perfectly acceptable to me as I ride it.  Now, if you happen to be riding just behind someone running a straight stinger, then you're going to encounter some pain.

Back in the days when men were men, you would see 501 Maicos being run with no silencer at all.  You want to talk about noise, Johasus!  And yes, in the '70s when riding was starting to get popular, the noise complaint was exactly what it was today.  Track owners and promoters were shutting down tracks, and no one wanted to put on a silencer because it robbed performance.  Then, some of the magazines did dyno tests that showed that a good silencer doesn't significantly reduce performance.  What they conveniently forgot to mention is that it also has to be looked after a lot more than most people are willing to, so in reality, 90% of riders will lose performance with a silencer.  The difference in power for my 250 was insane once we got rid of the packing.  It doesn't do much in the way of silencing anymore, but we don't have to worry about it getting gummed up.
Silencers used to be considered a "neccessary evil" by the manufacturers, and they only included one because regulations forced them to. That is no longer the case. On modern competition bikes (two-stroke or four) the silencer is an integral component of the over-all tuned package. Removing the silencer from your bike will drastically change the wave tuning of the exhaust. It's a complete crap shoot as to what changes will occur to the power curve. In most instances you will drastically reduce the width and rideability of the power curve in exchange for a small boost at the very top of the power curve, not a worthy trade-off at all in my opinion. And the ramifications of riding un-silenced bikes is way too serious to be recomending such to other riders. Nearly every riding area and track that has close across the country in the last ten years has closed for one reason-sound complaints. It's both irresponsible and selfish to be recomending to others that they should remove their silencers.

And removing the packing from your silencer? I defy you to show me a dyno test that provides any evidence whatsoever that it does anything other than reduce peak power production. In an unpacked silencer, the normal smooth, laminar flow of exhaust is destroyed, and replaced by a very turbulent flow. Turbulence will have the exact opposite effect of what you claim. It will actually reduce flow, thereby reducing peak power. Your bike will perform better with a properly packed silencer. In most cases, when a rider claims their bike makes more power with an un-packed silencer, it's nothing more than a placebo effect caused by the increased sound. Sound does NOT equal power.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 06:02:15 PM by Chokey »

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 05:52:25 AM »
X2.For me,it's time to repack when two things happen.1.power loss 2.noise. #1 is generally noticed first.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 06:43:25 AM »
Excessive noise can, will and has created more problems for motorcycles than any other reason.... bar none.

Riding or racing without a quiet bike in this day and age will do nothing for our cause.

While at the beginning the silencer was just a bolt on to reduce noise, over the years it has become an integral part of the whole exhaust system. In addition the newer machines have significantly more power and usually have a better power delivery as well.

Making your bike loud on purpose is downright stupid...
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!