Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: So,if you were to take every dirt bike you ever had.......  (Read 8621 times)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: So,if you were to take every dirt bike you ever had.......
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 07:03:28 AM »
I am pretty good at bike set up and can handle setting my own bikes up, thanks though :).

You are correct some of the 220 problem was the carb. It has a 33mm carb versus the 35mm of the 200. Ron Black stays busy with his KDX carb and head mods.

One thing you are overlooking is that IF you did want to race, a hybrid can still be run in the 200 class. That is important to some folks. But I don't why I am trying to justify hybrids to you, it is meaningless to me if you like them or not LO   :P.  I do agree with you that for many you can probably just buy and mod a current bike that will suit your needs just as well or better than building a hybrid. I think the only way I would build one is if I find a 125 basketcase or roller cheap cheap cheap. Last year a 2001 KX125 roller went for $200 locally. Something like that. Any more than that and I won't even consider it.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 07:15:54 AM »
If it's a race class you're trying to get into,I can see it,though you stated previously it was all about trail riding.
As for it being meaningless to you whether I like it or not-that's just wrong.It should mean EVERYTHING to you whether I like it or not :D
Seriously,I never said I didn't like it-just that I don't see the point.That said,I've pursued many pointless activities in my life too ;D ;)
One deficiency I see with the hybrid as compared to a KTM is fuel capacity.If I remember from my reading over there,an oversize tank isn't something that can be done on the hybrid conversion..
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:18:21 AM by ford832 »
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 08:45:08 AM »
I'm telling you guys, you really need to invest in Gold Valves for those KDX's. those with the proper springs for your weight will make you forget about all the work involved in putting that motor in a 125 chassis. They are the KDX Holy Grail.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 08:59:53 AM »
As for it being meaningless to you whether I like it or not-that's just wrong.It should mean EVERYTHING to you whether I like it or not :D

:D ;D

MycK, I know they are good. The problem with the KDX forks is how far they hang under the axles. I don't know about in Florida, but here in SW PA, the ruts are deep and often full of either rocks or roots. A bad combo. I would still like to do some suspension work to the stock suspension when/if I ever get any spare cash.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 11:17:15 AM »
I have had a KTM 200 and they do not have the bottom end like a KDX.
Yes they have way more peak power but the power delivery is like a 125 on steroids.
Thats why i would pick the KDX motor for trail riding and woods riding.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 01:39:54 PM »
Myck, there are plenty of reasons to go to a 125 chassis.

1. Superior chassis.
2. Less weight, most important.
3. Better turning radius.
4. Modern suspension. Yes you can valve the cave man set up to work, but why would you want to?

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline juliend

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 09:34:14 AM »
I have had a KTM 200 and they do not have the bottom end like a KDX.
Yes they have way more peak power but the power delivery is like a 125 on steroids.
Thats why i would pick the KDX motor for trail riding and woods riding.

Agree. I primarily ride a kdx200 or yz250, my buddy has a ktm200. While his bike is a blast to ride, it is indeed like a 125 on steroids for power delivery. The suspension is a bit harsh and difficult to dial in (pds crap), and the dang seat feels like a 2x4 up your butt. I get tired much sooner on the KTM. I do like riding it though. If I had my own 200/300EXC, I'm confident I could get it set up just right for me and would love it. I can't let go of my KDX though. On reliability it pwns the KTM.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 09:40:22 AM »
Nothing wrong with a KTM seat.Both the hardness and shape of my '00 and '02 were what taught me to ride standing up.Pain is a great motivator. :D

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 07:47:26 AM »
You're right about the lower fork legs Coop. I suppose I haven't ridden the KDX enough to put that into consideration. We don't get alot of deep ruts in Florida do to the amount of sand and softness of the soil. But in Alabama and Mississippi the ruts can get pretty bad. Alternate line choices would solve the problem. :)
I am not, however, trying to deter anyone from, nor saying, converting a KDX into a modern KX chassis is a waste of time, stupid idea, etc. Just pointing out $500 vs. $3,000 + labor.
The stock KDX really isn't bad.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011, 02:36:48 PM »
I agree. Really doubt I will do much to mine other than ride it, and fix stuff as I get money. Which may be awhile the way things have been going.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 10:43:17 AM »
converting a KDX into a modern KX chassis is a waste of time, stupid idea, etc.

Agreed.  :D

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 02:21:17 PM »
Agreed again.  I would love to upgrage from my Jeremy McGrath era YZ, but at 44 years old, is a new $9k 4st really going to make me competitive with James Stewart?  At this point, I just want a bike that I can beat my 30 year old buddies with.  I don't think it is a fuel-infected 4st.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 03:27:09 PM »
Personally,I don't actually think there's much difference in any 2t MX from the last 10 yrs or so.I always looked it at this way-if I can't ride the bike to it's potential(ie,there's not someone out there who could ride it faster)then the problem is with me,not the bike.That said,sometimes a better bike,suspension wise at least,will make you faster but so will a little more practice with what you've got now.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 03:39:26 PM »
Suspension, Suspension, Suspension,  No.1 thing that will make you go faster.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough