Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: So,if you were to take every dirt bike you ever had.......  (Read 8627 times)

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
So,if you were to take every dirt bike you ever had.......
« on: February 14, 2011, 11:36:29 AM »
.....what would you take from each to make your ideal bike.For instance,in my case......

I'd take the chassis of my 99 RM 125 mated to the engine of my 2002 KTM125SX.Along with that,I'd have a toggle on the bars so I could instantly change the engine characteristics to that of my present 2002 YZ250 for torque situations. Also,as much as I may hate to admit it(nah,not really)I'd have another switch to change the engine to that of my 2005 Husaberg FE550 for big power situations.I realize a 500 2t would suit the bill but as I said-bikes you've actually owned-not wanted or just ridden.Besides,55 hp,6spd,160 kph top speed IS fun on a dirt bike at times-regardless of engine configuration. :)

Now I just need  to figure out the build :D
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
Re: So,if you were to take every dirt bike you ever had.......
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 12:11:13 PM »
A atc250r non-powervalve motor in my kdx chassis.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:13:47 PM by factoryX »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 12:23:12 PM »
That is the premise for the "One Motorcycle Show".
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 12:38:04 PM »
The one motorcycle show?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 01:59:34 PM »
This is from another thread:

http://theonemotorcycleshow.com/

The ONE Motorcycle Show (Portland, OR) 2011

Essentially, this is a show where motorcycle builders showed up.  A lot of the bikes there were kind of home made.  They say that once you been making motorcycles a while you eventuallly make your "one" bike that has everything you want.  That's kind of the premise of the show.  However, they also just had bikes there that "had a good story" I guess.  The oldest bike was a steam engine bike.

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 02:08:27 PM »
Cooooolllll.I see a ton of stuff there I'd like to have. 8)
For me though,I know it's impossible to have the perfect bike that does everything I want it to do when I want it to do it-hence my magic bar switches :)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 02:59:09 PM »
Honestly in 31 years of riding, my KDX really has an engine that makes me smile. I don't know why I waited so long to buy one. If I could take one of the more modern 125 chassis I have owned (YZ125 was my favorite) and stuff this engine in there, it would be the prefect bike for me.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 03:21:04 PM »
Surely you saw this coming ford. ;)
Give me the power of a 450, the weight of a 250 2 stroke, an adjustable power valve, steel perimeter frame, Ohlins suspension and I would have my dream bike.

It's called a TM 300. ;D

Seriously it does everthing I want.
I can see myself in a few years when I slow down I'll be doing what coop said.
KDX engine in a 125 frame.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 05:02:28 PM »

A KDX eh?Well TMKIWI,hopefully it will be a few years yet before you slow down that much-Bwahahahahaha.
Seriously,I've never been satisfied with anything.It takes me about 3 yrs to get any bike to as close to perfect for me as it can be-then I sell it-or,as my wife says,"once you can't think of anything else to fix,you get bored and go buy another one-you're such a retard"
Pbbffttt,women.The YZ is at this point now but I don't have the usual desire to sell simply because my daughter keeps me hopping so much I don't get to ride as much as I used to so when I do,I just ride and enjoy it-it's still not perfect though-even though it's a YZ :D

Offline juliend

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 06:59:52 PM »
There's really nothing slow about a nicely tuned KDX engine. It's the chassis that makes it a bit of a slug.

I'm also about the KDX engine in a kx125 chassis

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:07:04 PM by juliend »

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 07:39:44 PM »
I didn't mean to say KDX's are slow.
Just that a 200 is more managable then a 300.
My bike doesn't like going slow, so when I finish scareing myself a nice KDX hybrid will be the deal.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 12:05:30 AM »
Surely you saw this coming ford. ;)
Give me the power of a 450, the weight of a 250 2 stroke, an adjustable power valve, steel perimeter frame, Ohlins suspension and I would have my dream bike.

It's called a TM 300. ;D

Seriously it does everthing I want.
Definitely agree with that, wouldn't change a thing on my bike, best bike i've ever had or ridden.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 06:13:42 AM »
When coop first posted the link to the KDX site,I went over and registered so I could have a look at the "hybrids"
Keeping in mind the fact that I have reasonably extensive experience with a 220 my bro in law bought new and I modified for him-I have a good idea how they run and can be made to run.
Anyhoo,my first thought with the hybrids was: that's a pretty cool,easily done project that gives the best of both worlds.
After a little more thought it occurred to me-why would you bother?
There is nothing magical in a KDX engine other than fact that it is an ordinary,everyday,older 2t engine done as a woods/trail set up-which is what makes it such a good woods bike.
I've always liked 125's and what I really liked about my 02 SX was the fact it had a full sized chassis.The japanese downsized them previously and KTM followed suit in 03.Though I'm only 5'10",I find most of the more "modern" ones squishy.Previously,the only real difference in a 125 and 250 was the lower cradle but I guess the theory was to cater to a smaller rider coming up from an 80.
It's sometimes hard to get more power but it reasonably easy to get less and adjust the delivery to your liking-regardless of what you ride.
If I was a Kawi fan(insert shudder here ;D ),I'd take a KX250 and detune it to replicate the KDX engine.This would give a better balanced bike with a manageable engine and modern day ergo's and suspension.
In the case of my YZ,I loved it on the track but found it was too abrupt in the low speed greasy,rooty,rocky goo.A twitch of the throttle in this stuff had the rear wheel lighting up and spinning sideways.
For me,the solution was to use a dial gauge in the plug hole to ck the stock timing(it was too far advanced due to production tolerances)and set it to what it should have been.After a little trial and error,I ended up setting it one degree retarded.
I also shaved down the ramp on the throttle(again,trial and error) so I have a longer pull but more importantly,it doesn't ramp up as quickly so is much more manageable off the bottom-but still has full power when you twist it open.
As it is,it suits me well.I could have added a flywheel weight as well but don't see the need and I wanted the quick snap when necessary for logs,rocks,etc.
You could also go with a thicker base gasket or double up(though this changes port timing-maybe good,maybe bad depending)play with squish,higher tension reeds,power valve adjustments,bigger carb,different exhaust,flwheel weights etc.
The bottom line is,it's all easily done and will make a much more rideable bike-and you won't have the "gooberiness" of a hybrid.
As I said,I still think a KDX engine in a 125 chassis is a cool project-just rather pointless.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:17:58 AM by ford832 »

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 06:31:55 AM »
Part of your problem is basing your judgement on the 220. The 200 is a considered a better engine with more top end than the 220 actually. Most KDX enthusiasts agree they would take a 200 over a 220. I have owned KX250's and trust me the KDX200 is a far better woods engine than the KX250, even with extensive work. I am not talking racing, I am talking trail riding. The chassis is the weak link. Overly soft suspension, conventional forks with too much under-hang, "heavy" feeling for a 200, etc. So putting the engine in a 125 chassis you get a bike more inline with the KTM. But just not as high strung as the KTM200. That is preferable to some trail riders, obviously given the popularity of the hybrid builds.  :)
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 06:48:48 AM »
I agree that a KDX is a better woods engine but I simply can't see why the same thing can't be done with any 250 2t engine-especially where it is done all the time.
My understanding from way back when with the KDX's was that the 220 had a slightly larger bore(the rest is virtually identical) but that the difference in the top end is all carburetor-not the engine.
The 220 had a smaller carb than the 200-hence,more bottom and less top.
My 125 had a 39mm and if I remember correctly(probably not)my bro in laws 220 had a 36mm.
I'd be willing to bet if you swapped carbs on a 200 and 220 you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart.
On his,once you got it tapped out,you could feel it hanging up.No amount of jetting will cure it is it simply isn't flowing enough at this point.
In his case,and as far as I'm concerned,it's irrelevant because it had such a good bottom end and in the woods,when's the last time you got a bike tapped out in 5th?
I understand what you're saying but a 250 will give you all the attributes you want and a full sized chassis to boot.
The only reason I can see for doing the hybrid is from a sense of emotional attachment to the KDX-or just for something to do in a cool project/improve your current bike sort of way.
I guarantee that if you sent me a KX250 of your liking with your visa # I could set it up to suit you even better than the hybrid and for less $$ than having to buy two bikes.
If I was feeling in a generous mood,I might even send it back after I was done :D ;)