Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Advice Needed To Rescue My KX 250! pls help!  (Read 5463 times)

Offline KXwestYZ

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Advice Needed To Rescue My KX 250! pls help!
« on: January 04, 2010, 10:34:43 AM »

Offline metal_miracle

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Advice Needed To Rescue My KX 250! pls help!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 10:55:21 AM »
since the engine casting is ruff its gone take ages whit auto sol
what i did was used A rotating steel brush
then scotch bright pad to make it dull again

many times wd-40 and scotch brite pad  works just fine

on smooth surfaces like tripple clamps and levers  autosol works good
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:57:09 AM by metal_miracle »

Offline KXwestYZ

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 01:28:53 PM »
Thanks for the advice Metal  :) - I've had a KTM sx 250 and CR 125 before and they dont seem to have the same silver coating on the engine like KX's do. If I had the money I'd prob try to pay a garage to respray it if it was possible, although here in London there arent any garages that know anything about motocross.. 

Will try WD-40 / scotch pad / steel brush and cross my fingers the result is good! I dont have the knowledge to take the engine completely off the frame to get absolutely everywhere but can get to 95% of the engine by taking the plastics / fuel tank etc off... 

If anyone else has any thoughts or alternative suggestions / experiences about this I'd appreciate to hear them  :)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 05:52:13 PM »
Boy do I feel for you on this.... What the heck was in that water??? :o

Personally I'd use the WD-40 and scotchbrite pad first...

As for taking the motor out of the frame, it's not that hard. Just takes some time.

Please let us know how it turns out! Good Luck!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline KXwestYZ

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 07:18:18 PM »
Thanks for reply John - will try the WD and scotch pad tomorrow. As for what was in the water, I think maybe because I ride on the highway as my bikes road legal it was maybe a mix of road salt and water that caused it, also I think that the KX engine is maybe more suseptable to get easily corroded than other models, they have this thin silver coating / paint on from the factory and underneath that its not same metal as my KTM SX which seemed more resilient to getting marks on it.

I spoke to a garage in Birmingham England which is an MX respray shop and they said they race KX's and the silver paint stuff comes off on their bikes so they use some stuff called nitromorse to get the silver paint off then use autosol to buff / polish the bare metal..

I just hope I can sort it - thanks to you both for help so far... I searched internet for anyone else with a similar problem and looks like I'm pretty much the only guy its ever happened to lol, This bike is my pride and joy so fingers crossed..

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 04:10:13 AM »
Typical Kawasaki. My KX125's engine cases and cover started to peel after a while, so it's normal.If you don't like it, then you can just repaint it. No big deal. :)

Offline KXwestYZ

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 04:40:50 AM »
Cool! that was what I was hoping! :)  I dont have the cash right now to do that, but knowing it's at least possible to take it back to factory condition is great...

When I look through the used bikes on ebay its near impossible to find a KX thats still in perfect condition - they are amazing bikes but seem to get scuffed easily (as I have found to my horror lol) but if you check for CR's and YZ's there are plenty of ones from as far back as 2001 that are still in near perfect condition..

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 07:06:02 AM »
You should of seen the frame on my 125. It had the paint worn right off of it where the boots rub against the frame. But that's typical, although the bike was fast as hell when I put some $ in the motor.

Offline Swimr2DaResQ

• Expert
  • Awww Yeaah!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 07:33:24 PM »
If your rubbing off the paint on your frame quite frequently, try Rustoleum Spray On Bed Liner, it comes in a rattle can and you can just prep the metal tape it off and spray it on, it works great and doesn't peel off like grip tape,. works like a charm, i'm also getting my frame for my KX powder coated!
"Technology frightens me to death. It's designed by engineers to impress other engineers, and they always come with instruction booklets that are written by engineers for other engineers - which is why almost no technology ever works."