Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 1999 kx60 leaky water pump  (Read 5531 times)

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
1999 kx60 leaky water pump
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:06:11 AM »
Hey guys, It looks like my kx 60 has a leaky waterpump seal, the oil is milky, and it blew a bunch of water out the tail pipe, after much hassle starting it.
does anyone have the service manual, with a schematic, and replacement instructions they'd be willing to scan and email me??
I think the water pump is integrated into the clutch cover so seal replacement is possible with out splitting the cases, am I right on this?? I hope so.. :-X

thanx in advance
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: 1999 kx60 leaky water pump
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 11:10:29 AM »
I have the service manual in hard copy. I also have a .pdf of the KX65 which I am told has pretty much the same bottom end. I won't be able to scan the KX60 manual until later but I could email the .pdf one right now. But yes you can change it without splitting the cases.

I rebuilt a KX60 for my nephew last winter, there is a long thread on here about it.

Edit: Here is the link to my rebuilt thread:

http://twostrokemotocross.com/forum/index.php?topic=769.0
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:14:36 AM by Coop »
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 11:45:21 AM »
Thanx Coop, please check your PM.
That was actually the first thread I read upon joining the forum.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 11:53:53 AM »
actually I read it in the KXriders forum, lol, I was skimming through it here and it seemed to be missing stuff I know I read, then I saw the KXriders line and was like ,duh...

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 11:57:27 AM »
Haha yeah I posted it on a couple sites I frequent.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 01:17:04 PM »
Planetminis???

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 01:36:03 PM »
Not sure about that one. I don't think so.

Actually I am considering selling this 60 as my brother is supposed to be moving his family back to Florida and they can't take it with them as they will be living with his mother-in-law in a condo. Nick is really too big for it anyway. He was almost too big for it last year, but a year later, he is definitely too big for it now.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 01:48:11 PM »
I has the same issue with that pw50. he was too small for a 60/65, almost too big for the pw, and frankly I couldn't see spending $1200+ for a used ktm 50

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you have two separate issues here.In a 2T the crank case is not joined with the gearbox which means that coolant out the exhaust pipe is a headgasket problem and milky oil is a seal/electrolysis problem.Often a waterpump problem is followed by a blown headgasket (sigh).

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »
yeah, what I think happened was the guy I got it from didn't torque the cylinder bolts properly before or after break in. I checked the torque after it blew the water outta the pipe and noticed the milky oil window. three of them turned another 3/4 rotation before the wrench clicked.I think the  gaskets failed and compression blew out the seal.
I'll tear it down in the morning and see what is going on, I got a gasket set, and ordered the seals and bearing today they should be here friday.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 09:15:50 AM »
well I figuired out the problem, turns out it was the head gasket leaking, since I tightend the head bolts last weekend I first did a pressure test on the coolant system, 16 lbs solid for 15 minutes, did a compression test on the combustion chamber found out the intake was leaking, took it off installed a torque spacer w new gaskets.
 the water in the trans oil was due to a last minute washing before I bought it, the transmission vent tube is broken off at the plastic elbow coming out of the case allowing water to go into the trans. drained the oil, replaced the vent tube, filled it up  with some cheapo 10/40, had a little cloud in the glass ran it for about 30 minutes,the cloud lightened up to half glass on top, drained it, filled it back up with some lucas 10/40 no more milk in the glass, ran it for 15 minutes still no milk. :) I also realized that most of what blew out of thwe tailpipe was gas, left the petcock on last time we loaded it in the trailer, so I pulled off the carb; fuel valve was gummed open. cleaned her up and hopefully i'll be able to save the pump seals for the next rebuild.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 09:17:36 AM »
this is it 8)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 12:35:18 PM »
I'm glad you got it figured out.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 06:43:47 PM »
While I was in the reed block I found the reeds were installed upside down, nice little gap goin on there, flipped them over, nice and tight.
Installed a 15t front spocket too, and cut a 1/4" off the throttle stop I put on it.
 Did you get a look at the swing arm and linkage rod??

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 04:27:06 AM »
On your bike? I don't see a picture for some reason. I know it's a weird setup because I had mine all apart  :) .