Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: What would give my bro's bike more power?  (Read 7382 times)

Offline YZ250

• Junior
  • I'll live forever, or die trying!
    • View Profile
What would give my bro's bike more power?
« on: December 30, 2009, 08:24:33 PM »
My brother has a yamaha xt250 (it's a 4-stroke), and it lacks EXTREMELY in power all around. it's brand spankin new so we know it doesn't have any recent engine prob's. the problem is, it always boggs down when you reach the high rpm, and it has  terrible top and bottom end power. we considered getting an aftermarket exhaust for it but that can cost up to $800 for a full kit. so if there is some way to take off the rev limiter or adjust it's peak or just sumthing that would help the engine get more power. thanks for ideas.

Offline westsiderippa

• Expert
  • win on a 2t your a hero, lose just blame the bike
    • View Profile
Re: What would give my bro's bike more power?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 09:28:19 PM »
http://www.thumpertalk.com/

your on the wrong site, go there^^^ you will find everything you need to know about jetting.

simply put, you need to open the airbox, drill out the silencer, and re-jet. its simple to do and will make a huge difference. our other option is to sell it and buy a 2t :)

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 03:22:46 AM »
I would say buy a two stroke, but that's just me.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 04:34:20 AM »
YZ250 - You do realize that the XT250 is basically a low-powered trail bike, right? It was not designed to be flashy or fast.

These machines will run and last forever, even with minimal maintenance. But it was never designed to be fast.

These are the reliable machines that the manufacturers have attempted to associate with the "new" four-stroke motocross bikes. Unfortunately they are worlds apart!

If your brother wants a faster bike he would be well served to sell the XT250 and buy a race bike. it would be very expensive to get this one to be much faster.

Here are few excerpts from a test of that bike;

"Powering the bike is a decent air-cooled 249cc, SOHC four-stroke single, which gets fed through the 33mm Vac carburetor. It seems to be up for the job as it gets 73 mpg, despite the fact that many would feel more at home on a 350cc upgraded version of it. All this baby needs is its 5-speed gearbox and it is good to go forever and ever again. Reliability is not a thing to worry about when buying an XT.

Weighing 291 pounds wet, the quarter-liter Yamaha XT qualifies as an easy to ride motorcycle with a versatile character. We know that because the entry-level Yamaha model has been around for almost three decades now and this is what keeps it going strong.

Launched in the early 1980s, the XT250 had it all with it from the start. The 249cc engine, developing 22 hp at 8,600 rpm, and the five-speed tranny made a good team from the very beginning and the looks of the bike were, as now, the ones of an off-roader.

In 1982, the redesigned XT250 was quite the addition in the Yamaha lineup as it was completely restyled for properly dealing with the rough terrains, making for an ideal farm machine out of the already imposed trail master. Power was reduced that year with fewer revs in favor of engine durability. Apparently, the 17 hp at 7,500 rpm were still enough."

This is a great trail bike. Enjoy it for what it is!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 04:58:50 AM »

Hmmmmm!!!!! Are you thinking what I'm thinking? We should be able to stuff a YZ490 engine in it.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 05:49:38 AM »

Hmmmmm!!!!! Are you thinking what I'm thinking? We should be able to stuff a YZ490 engine in it.

While it's a fun idea to consider, the handling would be atrocious with all that power! It could be worse than the legendary TM400!!  :o :o
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!