Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: VIN # HELP PLEASE  (Read 3992 times)

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
VIN # HELP PLEASE
« on: January 16, 2011, 11:26:23 AM »
Hey guys I am in need of some serious professional help.
Not mental,lol, but I'm about to be if I don't get this Vin figured out.
I have what is supposed to be an 81' or 82' Yamaha Y-Zinger (PW) 50
it has all the Yamaha engine covers, oil tank cap, yamaha markings on oil pump cover, and the majority of original parts that can be marked ,the original yellow tank with the old decal and Yamaha logo on the cap.,
 but the vin is 10 digits with a dash in the 4th spot????

4X4-007595

same number on the motor
everything I have found on vins states it was made in the USA, in 2004, no specific make, model, size, or manufacturer
any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope I didn't get snookered into buying a knock off.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: VIN # HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 11:35:56 AM »
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:39:31 AM »
whew thanx Coop i was worried I had a Chink boat anchor,lol.\
 Know any collectors that might be interested?
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »
Not off hand, I'll keep my ears open for you though.

I had re-built a 1997 PW50 for my one nephew (the one I built the KX60 for last winter) and it wasn't a bad running little bike. I don't think they really changed those much through the years except for graphics and colors. I do know a YZinger 60cc cylinder is a direct bolt on for anyone wanting more power but need the small size.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 03:20:58 PM »
Both my sons learned to ride on a PW50 that had been passed down through various families (we were family #4).I was told that PW50s contain a 2nd gear (2 speed auto's) that is blanked off.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 07:07:58 PM »
I have heard that as well, fortunately I didn't have to get into the bottom end on this one, even though it was in three boxes when I got it.
I got some new cables, carb, airbox, and plastic kit from PW's Only. But the rest of it is 100% origional, the puipe is kinda wierd though, it's a straight pipe that runs under the bike. I rigged up a rm 85 muffler to it cause I didn't have a stocker or could find one to fit.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:05:35 PM »
PW50's are typically jetted way too rich and won't rev out cleanly.Yamaha has a one size smaller main jet in their parts catalog that lets the bike run a lot cleaner.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:35:18 AM »
cool, I replaced the carb with one from PW's Only, it was cheaper than replacing the jets, fuel valve and needle. I think it came with the leaner jets as I had to turn the air screw out just over 2 turns just to get it to idle. I think it"s somewhere around 2 3/4. runs clean enough, i suppose. the plug looks good, it's not sputtering or popping, revs out nice.
not really snappy on the bottom, but I think that's a clutch issue, it starts to rev but takes a second to take off, I kiddingly call it traction control.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 10:56:06 AM »
I doubt this will be an issue since you said you changed the pipe, but the only problem I ever had with my nephews was carbon build up in the pipe right out of the cylinder. You would know if it needed cleaned up too because it would act like it was blown up with no power lol. Clean out the narrow pipe and it ran great again. Only happened once in two years but it really killed the power of that little bike.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 04:12:10 PM »
Coop's right,50s don't have enough exhaust flow to keep the exhaust from carboning up.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 06:48:43 AM »
this one has a straight pipe the same diameter as an 85 cc two stroke silencer core. it really does breath well.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 07:51:21 AM »
The exhaust port itself will carbon up and restrict exhaust flow.I remember cleaning my kid's PW50.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 08:42:35 AM »
no carbon on this one, I pulled it apart when I got it, it was already in 3 boxes, but the motor was all together. nice and oily but no carbon, the stock rings were still well within tolerance, like it never got ridden, the tires are even the stockers. The cables and hoses were all rotten and it was missing the airbox and front fender. It really needs new forks the seals are all cracked and leaky.I'll post a picture of the pipe, later on, it's weird, I can't find a pic of the 1980 to see if that is the pipe, the 81 model has the same one as the rest, FMF offers a pipe from 82 up, but I'venever seen one like it.