Home > Forum

Author Topic: so ...  (Read 3144 times)

Offline compmoto

• GASGAS dealer
  • Novice
    • View Profile
so ...
« on: January 12, 2011, 07:50:27 PM »
what if someone goea out and buys up a bunch of 2t mx bikes, 125cc, and bigger, restores them , or converts 'em to woods bikes, whatever ... is there a market for them ?   How about NEW Gassers, TMs, Huskys ,etc ? Heck Husaberg is even trying to sell 2t bikes now... even if they are "re-badged" KTMs ... Beta is coming out with a line of Gasser powered 2t bikes, as well as Fantic ...and that pesky German company seems to feel there's still a market for 2t ... Isn't the AMA jammed up Honda's ass anyway ? Is THAT why the rules are such as they are ? 250 4t vs 250 2t ... that should just about do it ... hope I don't get banned for this ! I love this place !
Bring on the DI 2t !  on a Rotax powered ATK ! or a CanAm ! WOW ! sign me up !

please elaborate , I'm probing for dirt ... before the impending Indy show Feb.18 ...
RMX250,YZ125,Maico490,RD400,RZ350

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: so ...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 07:58:09 PM »
I've been told that the new 2T Husabergs have a Husaberg frame and Husaberg spec porting so apparently they differ significantly from the KTMs. A British magazine test also states that they handle much nicer then the KTM.As for "trying to sell them" word has it that Husaberg is sold out so it appears the gamble payed off.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 05:18:45 AM »
A guy I know from our local dual sport forum bought a 2011 Gasgas EC300 recently and LOVES it. This is long, but here is how he decided on the GG over the KTM. One point that I razzed him about was he points out KTM has starter issues and it turns out that's the one thing he doesn't like about his new GasGas. The starter doesn't always engage  :) :

"The Gas Gas has shock linkage. Despite years of massaging the linkless design it never truly works as well as linkage. You can't duplicate what the rising rate of linkage does with gimmics. KTM defacto admitted this when they included linkage on their motocross bikes. I suspect it was a condition of Roger Decoster taking over the team 'cause he knows better. The word on the Gas Gas linkage is that it's sealed well and requires virtually no maintenance. Big win for the Gas Gas

The KTM 2t starter has issues. Although the Gas Gas starter is as yet unproven it looks like it's very stout in it's design and has no right angle drive conversion like the KTM system has. Is this a win for the Gas Gas?  Probably but I'm not sure yet.

The Gas Gas comes with an FMF Q-stealth muffler which includes a US forestry approved spark arrestor. KTM dropped the spark arrestor. Win for the Gas Gas.

The Gas Gas comes with a high/low beam street legal headlight. KTM dropped the light and it wasn't legal when it had one. Win for the Gas Gas

The Gas Gas comes with a complete wiring harness to complete the street legal conversion, including brake light sensors installed on both the front and rear brakes and handlebar controls for all accessories. The only thing needed to complete the street legal conversion is a tail light, horn and a trail tech speedometer which plugs right into the existing harness.  Big win for the Gas Gas.

The Gas Gas fuel tank carries the fuel lower and closer to the center of gravity of the machine which no doubt contributes to the exceptionally light feel of this bike. However, the KTM carries 1/2 gallon more fuel. 2.5 for the Gas Gas vs. 3 for the KTM. I guess it depends on what's most important to you. The Gas Gas feels like you're riding a 125 and carves like a knife in the tight technical stuff. That's subjective so I'll call it a wash. Advantage to the KTM for added fuel capacity.

Spark plug and carburetor access is significantly better on the Gas Gas, owing to some degree the slightly smaller fuel capacity but as much a function of most of the fuel being under the seat.

Nissin brakes on the Gas Gas. I don't like Brembo brakes, never did.

Ohlins shock and Marzocchi forks. I really don't know but Ohlins is supposed to be the best. So they say. The forks have titanium nitride coating on the tubes. Is that better?  I don't know but the pros have it.

The pipe on the KTM hangs below the front of the frame rails, the Gas Gas pipe is about four inches higher and above the frame rails. Doesn't sound like much until you cross a few logs and mangle your pipe.

Gas Gas has a key switch and steering head lock. Good for parking your bike outside the restaurant. Not so good if you lose them I suppose.

Best looking bike on the planet. IMHO

Gas Gas about a thousand dollars cheaper than the (not so) equivalent KTM.

The only real downside to the Gas Gas that I can see is that if you need spare parts on the trail you have a much better chance of someone having what you need at the truck or in their fanny pack if you're on a KTM. Things like a shifter or brake lever."

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:44:41 AM by Coop »
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:18:24 AM »
Coop you're killing me...  when the time comes for a new (newer) stead...  I'm going to have to add the Gasser to the list.

That is a nice looking bike. 
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 07:46:16 AM »
Yeah it is and I am already working on getting to ride it sometime this spring  :) .

Offline Micahdogg

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 07:53:14 AM »
Nice write up and great looking bike, but more meat.  How do they compare on weight, power, handling, suspension, etc?  I've heard that the GasGas is sprung pretty soft and just doesn't handle the same.  Also not sure how they are adding stuff like steering locks, bigger silencer, key switch, extra harnesses and keeping the weight down.

The look is intoxicating though and for the first time I've actually drooled over a GasGas.
2011 KTM 250SX, 1986 ATC250R

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 08:09:57 AM »
I don't know most of that. I do know he says it is the best handling bike he has ever ridden. He has been riding/racing since the 70's and is a very good rider. He said this after his first ride (you can see his comments about the starter here, hehe):

"The GG is by far the nicest bike I've ever ridden and I've ridden lots. It has a MAGIC motor, handles like it is reading your mind and the steering is so light it feels like it has power steering. The suspension was very good, I only need a stiffer rear spring because I'm a fatso.

The clutch squeels a little bit here and there but everyone on the GG forums says that's normal. The electric starter is a bit finicky. I didn't have to kick it all day but it frequently took 2 or more stabs at the starter button to get it to fire. The Bendix tends to kick out quick. there is supposedly a fix for that.

Other than that I have nothing negative to report.

I'm very impressed."

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 09:12:51 AM »
One thing about the Gasser's is that typically they have quite a compact chassis vs. the KTM.I'm well over 6 ft tall,love the Gas Gas's but just couldn't get used to the compact ergonomics (a tall seat and bar spacers don't really help).The Gasser has traditional Euro handling like a Maico or Husaberg and I greatly prefer bikes that have these characteristics.A lot of guys raised on Japanese bikes have problems adapting to the neutral feel of the Gas Gas.Many friends have owned Gasser's over the years and they seem to be a very well made ,durable machine.

I personally prefer the power and feel of modern Brembo brakes.I'm not sure if the Nissins are up to 60+ horsepower modern Maicos. ;D

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 09:55:14 AM »
Bob is a big guy, I bet 6'1", and goes about 250#. I am just guessing because he is taller and bigger than me and I am 5'11" and 210.

Offline Dirt Addict

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 01:38:42 PM »
i had an 06 gasgas 250ec. with the ohlins shock/marzzochi forks.  the power was more 'linear' than a ktm. meaning less hit, almost electric.
the suspension was awesome. the down side here in california is parts availibilty.
oh and it was green stickered. which beats the ktm red sticker status.  year 'round riding.....
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:40:26 PM by Dirt Addict »

Offline Micahdogg

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 01:42:28 PM »
I think I was confusing the GasGas with the new Husky review.  I believe it was the Husky that handled a little goofy.
2011 KTM 250SX, 1986 ATC250R

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 04:38:49 PM »
I don't like Brembo brakes, never did.

First time I have ever heard that. ::)

I can pull a stoppy with 1 finger with mine.

Gasses are nice bikes thats for sure.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 05:24:08 PM »
One friend of mine is 6'3",loves Gassers and is always complaining about the compact ergos of his EC250.He's running a tall seat,bar spacers and aftermarket lower pegs.It's been my observation that friends who own Gas Gas's are usually 6' or under.

When Bultaco went belly up the fledgling Gas Gas company grabbed as many of the former employees as possible.So it might be said that Bultaco never really went away,the company just morphed into Gas Gas.

I've found the Brembo's easier to work on then Nissins - no pins seizing for example.

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
The Gassers are great bikes.
very complete package for the money!
I found a 300 2-Stroke comparison test.
It's in german tho..
but it's shows an interesting figure of manitenance comparison costs on the 300's.
Over here, spare parts for the gassers are the cheapest, and it's got great 6 speed gearbox.
If you spend enough saddle time with the GasGas and get the suspension/handling dialed for you,
it can run with the best of the best! New Fantic 300 also uses the gasgas engine!
Here in this test the TM300EN was the favourite and had the mayority of the votes, but it's very personal:

German test with spare-part prices shedule:
http://www.tmracing.it/news/Vergleichstest_300.pdf

English version of comparable test:

http://tmracingmotorcycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/2009-300-Enduro-Shootout.pdf
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 11:43:15 PM by EJ »