Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Super Hunky & Matt Cuddy Strike Again....  (Read 10746 times)

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
Super Hunky & Matt Cuddy Strike Again....
« on: December 14, 2010, 11:18:01 AM »
Great read!!!

http://articles.superhunky.com/4/244

Got to love those guys

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hunky & Matt Cuddy Strike Again....
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 01:05:04 PM »
What the industry needs NOW is a decent handling, reliable dirt bike that can be modified into a play racer, a trail bike, or a full blown MX racer with the right parts, and allow the owner to work on and fix any motor/suspension issue that comes up with simple hand tools, and a little mechanical expertise.

Enter Stage Right: MAICO
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 01:12:09 PM »
What the industry needs NOW is a decent handling, reliable dirt bike that can be modified into a play racer, a trail bike, or a full blown MX racer with the right parts, and allow the owner to work on and fix any motor/suspension issue that comes up with simple hand tools, and a little mechanical expertise.

Enter Stage Right: MAICO

Uhm, I don't think they had a $11-12,000 dirtbike in mind when they wrote that paragraph LOL  :D . (Just kidding, just kidding I am not a Maico hater)
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 01:51:36 PM »
Ya they are specially tuned, high end bikes right now, but who knows what the future could hold :)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 03:38:54 PM »
Is that an old RM engine Super Hunky has wedged in there?

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 05:41:07 PM »
Looks like it.  I must say, I hope that idea catches on - imagine going riding and seeing everyone running around with a modern four-stroke chassis, with an air-cooled motor in it.  It's not going to happen, not on a wide scale, but imagine if it did!  If nothing else, the bikes would be better-looking than they are now.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
modern four-stroke chassis, with an air-cooled motor in it.  

You can keep your air cooled motor thanks.
I'll have one with water cooling that wont go out of tune when it gets hot. :(

A modern 4 stroke frame with a KDX motor thrown in would be ultra reliable. Ah Coop  ;D

PS Coop. Do you know the widest tyre that will fit on a KDX ?
A mate has just bought a 04. Picking it up on sunday  ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 10:43:35 AM by TMKIWI »
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 11:33:19 AM »
Rear Tire I assume? I don't know the widest, but have been told a 120 will fit (stock is 100). I imagine that would pretty close to the max size, but don't know for sure.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline mscuddy

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 04:47:40 PM »
Yes, thanks guys, we're just trying to tell the truth about how these exploding cigar four striker MX bikes have almost ruined the sport. The 2-4 project bike is a 2001 YZ400F frame with a '79 RM250 motor stuck in it, fit like a glove. The most difficult part was cutting and re-welding the expansion chamber into a down pipe (we love down pipes). It will weigh around 210-214 lbs and put out 38 horsepower.

It should haul ass, and become a template for all those poor bastards with a blown up four stroke sitting in their garage that they can't afford to fix.

We should have it posted tonight sometime. Rick did it for off-road.com, so you can see it there too (part 1). Keep the faith guys, KTM is still pushing two stroke technology, and a direct injected two cycle is right around the bend. It will combine a four stroke type lower end, with a two stroke top end, but eliminate the loop scavenging with a high pressure injector and a variable exhaust port.

Thanks for reading!

Matt
superhunky.com

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 05:43:48 PM »
A couple of points.

First, Matt Cuddy is on TSM!  Happy day.

Second, a down-pipe?  As in, under-the-engine, down-pipe?  Like, early '70s style, down-pipe?!  If that's the case, this bike is going to be all new kinds of weird-looking when it's done.  I can't even say whether or not I like the idea, it's just too different.  Really looking forward to seeing it!

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 06:07:24 PM »
The only thing about the down pipe is that if you're doing technical single track with the bike it's going to smash the pipe!

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 09:41:52 PM »

First, Matt Cuddy is on TSM!  Happy day.

X2 on that! Welcome aboard Matt, I've been a fan for a long time and I'm even registered at superhunky.com, glad you're here and tell Hunky I said.... BBbbbrrraaaaaaappppppp  ;D
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 03:06:35 AM »
Down pipe.

On a relatively modern frame.

So, if it's built properly, to work well, the divergent cone and belly will be under the frame.

Unless they are limiting the travel - by means that make the units bottom earlier, it will have less chance of survival than a sun burnt snowflake.

Modern , long travel bikes leave about an inch / 2inches at the most between the frame rails and flat ground.

I like what they are doing, but, unless they are limiting the travel, or it's a flat track bike, it sure isn't remotely practical with a down pipe. So, building for a style they like = impractical bike.

Gives them precisely what they, I would assume, would not want from a bike. Impracticality ::)

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 04:30:16 AM »
Yes, thanks guys, we're just trying to tell the truth about how these exploding cigar four striker MX bikes have almost ruined the sport. The 2-4 project bike is a 2001 YZ400F frame with a '79 RM250 motor stuck in it, fit like a glove. The most difficult part was cutting and re-welding the expansion chamber into a down pipe (we love down pipes). It will weigh around 210-214 lbs and put out 38 horsepower.

It should haul ass, and become a template for all those poor bastards with a blown up four stroke sitting in their garage that they can't afford to fix.

We should have it posted tonight sometime. Rick did it for off-road.com, so you can see it there too (part 1). Keep the faith guys, KTM is still pushing two stroke technology, and a direct injected two cycle is right around the bend. It will combine a four stroke type lower end, with a two stroke top end, but eliminate the loop scavenging with a high pressure injector and a variable exhaust port.

Thanks for reading!

Matt
superhunky.com

Hey Matt,
Great to see you on the two stroke site. Its great to see hardcore moto industry guys trying to do whats right for our beloved sport. You are doing a great job and making a difference. Keep at it. It WILL happen.
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 04:46:15 AM »
Ya they are specially tuned, high end bikes right now, but who knows what the future could hold :)

Agreed.You'll have to wait for the first ride to find out if they are "fixable with simple hand tools and a little mechanical expertise"
Let us know ;) :D
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.