Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Chain Guides.  (Read 3001 times)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Chain Guides.
« on: February 06, 2011, 08:18:13 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with TM Design chain guides ?
I need to replace the rear guide on my mate's KX.
Are they worth the extra over a genuine part. ?
Cheers.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline mullethead774

• Junior
    • View Profile
Re: Chain Guides.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:24:10 PM »
Put one on my YZ250 a couple years ago.  I ride off road in places where if you want to see dirt you'd better bring it with you.  Lots of rocks.  Mine is perty much indestructible so far.
2 strokes & mullets forever

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 06:11:38 AM »
anything is better than the stock KX chain guide, they might as have made it from tin foil.
I use the Moose/Fast by Fredette one on mine and on my YZ the screws will break before the thing bends.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 08:47:06 AM »
TMs have been around for a long time, and have a great rep amongst many. And they do pretty much everything for the chain running gear, plus a lot of other plastic / nylon products.

But, there is a thread on KTM Talk with a lot of controversy over their warranty.

I take the attitude that nothing is indestructible. So I expect things to eventually cark it. But, TMs wording of their warranty was basically written as a full on , lifetime warranty. That's how they worded it, and a whole heap of people expected it. They did not warrant one / some in the way people expected, so the proverbial hit the fan. They have since re-worded their warranty policy, apparently.

They've a whole heap of models, in a lot of colours. I do know they tend to make a fair bit of extra noise, as they are made of very hard /tough materials.

I usually make my own stuff - pretty much anything, but, whilst in the midst of a few tank and frame projects, and with our dollar finally being worth something against the US dollar, I priced my time.

I ordered a couple of BRP chain guides, as I've no interest in colours (I think they only come in black or white), and I feel they are a better thing than the TM Designs guide. They also do a fair bit more than just guides and guards.

I got them in under a week, and when I did my usual thing and managed to somehow mess up my Internet order, they contacted me and sorted it out within a couple of hours. Good people - Good product - and that's coming from a bloke that is very critical of parts made by others (and myself).

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 04:41:59 AM »
I had one one my KTM and it worked well-just a little noisier-though I've heard some people say they wear the chain more.The stock KX are junk.I'd try to fit anything else over that.Sometimes one brand will fit another as most aren't all that different.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »
Cheers Guy's.
Unfortunatly the guy who imports the TM Design guides has none in the country and will be 2 weeks away. :(
So a genuine one has to go on for this weekend.
It was strange cause the guide was good 3 weeks ago but after saturday it was completely worn through.
Not sure if he hit a rock with it or what happened. Will keep an eye on it and get a TM or Moose guide for next time.

Offline mullethead774

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 04:26:24 PM »
What Myck says is completely true.  I sell Kawasakis for a living & have had one around, among other things, at my place for years.  Once they start to go they disappear like a a long dress on prom night.
2 strokes & mullets forever

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 03:05:47 PM »
Thank's for all the info guy's
My dealer got me a Polisport guide so will see how that go's.