Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: A peek into the future... Maico 125 for 2012!  (Read 14938 times)

Offline wintrader

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Re: A peek into the future... Maico 125 for 2012!
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2010, 12:10:49 PM »
My brother in law runs a workshop where he prepares classic ferrari's for classic races. He knows all about 4 strokes but he does not know anything about 2 strokes. So who says those f1 guys know anything about 2 strokes?

One of my brothers clients is adrian Newey who designs formula one cars. Can ask my brother to ask him if he knows anything about 2 strokes. But i guess he does not know.

F1 guys does not automatically means they know about 2 strokes.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2010, 12:35:43 PM »
They did run in a few races in UK and Belguim.

http://twostrokemotocross.com/2009/07/belgium-international-maico-cup/

They have released some details of the F1 engine below:

http://www.tillamooksingletrackmagazine.com/Articles/Generic/index.php?id=203

Whatcha talking about willis?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 12:37:53 PM by opfermanmotors »
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2010, 03:31:10 PM »
They did run in a few races in UK and Belguim.

Whatcha talking about willis?

Against other Maico's  :(
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2010, 04:49:28 PM »
The idea behind claiming "F1 technology" is that they presumably know a lot about high-performance engines in general.  I would expect that to come in handy for the actual mechanical bits of the engine, getting the moving parts to be as light and balanced as possible, yet still sustain the riggers of high-rev operation.  Of course I think it'd be silly to think there will be any kind of real resemblance to an F1 engine in the new Maicos.  Yamaha were claiming that when they introduced the YZ400F and other than the fact that both engines had one or more pistons moving up and down, there was really no resemblance.  But that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't use someone with F1 experience to contribute to some of the component design.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2010, 05:13:46 PM »
I guess I'm at a loss... you guys seem to think that there is something wrong with Maico International. I suggest you take a look at the press release section of Racer X.... lot's of companies release information on a regular basis... so what?

At the beginning of 2010 Maico International released their bikes. There were photos of the bikes and videos.

Is it possible that the 2011 could be released about that time?

But what do I know, I only talk directly with the people that know whats happening.....
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2010, 05:28:36 PM »
Neil Berry took a fourth place overall in the O.R.P.A. British two day Championship
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline Bioflex

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2010, 06:15:58 PM »
The problem, John is that many of us (who actually run successful businesses) get a little tired of endless teasers with not a lot to show for it.
I have been checking the Maico website everyday without fail for the past 8 months, having seen the site change to the "A new era has dawned" to the "NEW MMX coming soon", I do wonder when it will happen. They have probably shot themselves in the foot a little by announcing there will be a new bike so early, as people assume a standard time line for when an announcement is made and when the actual product is seen.

While I am in a completely different industry, I know my customers get quite frustrated when there is even a few weeks time between when a new product is announced and when it is available. Obviously with motorbikes that timeline would be extended but it's clear the masses here (including myself) are growing tired of hearing the teasers from Maico without seeing the result.

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2010, 08:11:54 AM »
Bioflex, perfectly put!

The Tillamook posting, unless I  missed something, is just another example of what I'm saying - words from the producer, no pics.

As I said, I'm one of the people Very Interested in actually buying a new, modern Maico.

But word only press releases don't cut it. I want to see if what is being written about, actually exists. And then have an unbiased opinion from someone other than their own riders. TMX is still weekly? Get this / these new versions out and about.

I'd take a 380/400/440 Maico, in a modern frame.  But I'd prefer a modern version of a 2t with those sorts of capacities - 400 preferably. I know how Maicos handle, I've owned , ridden and raced them and whilst good, it isn't that legendary to me ( I await the cries of heresy). Bloody Hell, the linkage / leverage ratio on the 86s was outdated even then , and I've seen bugger all change in the linkage right through to the 2010 model. It's the twin shock bikes that made the Maico legend.

John - if you talk to Maico International all the time, please let them know that blokes who want to know about their bikes, who will buy them , IF they are good enough and all that they are claiming, want to have more than regular 'PR' type blurbs. It's a reasonable request, and I doubt that anything they show will cause other companies to steal their ideas. If they have innovative new products, that will, at the least, finally get 2ts out of this fase lock they are in, they Will succeed, as there are many riders just waiting for a genuine, modern 2t.

I'd love to see them get a modern 2t out before the other factories, like KTM.

I wish Maico International well, they obviously have / are putting their hearts and souls, not to mention their money, into something they love, but it's time to start to show what they are writing about.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2010, 08:57:36 AM »
What's outdated about the geometry of a Maico rear suspension? Super cross bikes have a low "ramp up" in the linkage to prevent "packing" on the face of a jump but this translates to harsh suspension offroad.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2010, 01:51:40 PM »
John - if you talk to Maico International all the time, please let them know that blokes who want to know about their bikes, who will buy them , IF they are good enough and all that they are claiming, want to have more than regular 'PR' type blurbs. It's a reasonable request, and I doubt that anything they show will cause other companies to steal their ideas. If they have innovative new products, that will, at the least, finally get 2ts out of this fase lock they are in, they Will succeed, as there are many riders just waiting for a genuine, modern 2t.

The folks over at Maico International drop in here every once and a while to check up on things. They are well aware of the questions that folks have about the bikes. They have a plan and are sticking to it...

Here is something that was posted on their site...

Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline MMS

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2010, 12:35:27 AM »
Seems people have become so familiar with the ridiculous that common sense appears somehow slightly odd!

Put aside all conception of what is the "done thing" and releasing a 2011 model in January 2011 seems about right.

Offline Bioflex

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2010, 06:24:06 AM »
I don't see that anyone has an issue with them releasing the bike in 2011.

The issue is with the endless press releasers or teasers, without a picture and specs of the actual bike.
If the bike is set to debut within a month or so (which will be early 2011), surely it's best to whet our appetites by showing some pictures, yes, I mean of the whole bike - not just bits of a swing arm and tank.

If the bike hasn't been completed yet and thoroughly tested it may well be mid 2011 before we see it. If it is much further advanced, then show us some pics Mr Maico!

It should be made clear, that the frustration here is coming from people who are passionate about 2 strokes, Maico's in particular and absolutely want to see it succeed. I'd love to put my dollars down as soon as they come out assuming they are as good as we all hope.

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2010, 11:35:10 PM »
Once again , Bioflex, perfectly, and plainly put.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2010, 05:20:02 PM »
What's outdated about the geometry of a Maico rear suspension?

There's nothing outdated about the geometry of the Maico rear suspension-just something outdated about the riders who ride the older ones :D

I wasn't aware 2010 Maico race vid's existed.Where does one find them?
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2010, 06:44:45 PM »
The 2010 Maico race vid's are located in the drawer labeled "World's finest competition motorcycle".You'll find the Yamaha vid's mixed in with the Pee Wee Herman vid's in the large soup can at the exit. ;D