Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Piston kit  (Read 5389 times)

Offline cmiller493

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Piston kit
« on: November 03, 2010, 07:43:05 PM »
Rebuilding my topend soon, was wondering what piston kit you guys recommend. Some Pro-X kits for good price on ebay, didnt know about that or the Wiseco pro-lite kit. 

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Piston kit
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »
Wossner if you can afford it.
Or go for the Wiseco
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline beckvall

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 10:11:07 PM »
wosner is a cheam piston kitt, but i works. i hawe wiseco 2 gen. i will newer use a nother brand in my motor. wiseco just scream preformanse and wel built! i recomend wiseco piston kits!
is from Sweden so excuse my bad English
honda 4 life!

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 10:33:23 PM »
Is OEM still available?
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline cmiller493

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 03:49:23 AM »
Im sure I could find oem on the internet somewhere but would be more expensive.

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 06:01:32 AM »
For a Cast Piston I would go OEM.
If your looking for Forged go with the Wiseco. :)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 12:26:31 PM »
I used Pro-X in my nephew's KX60 and it has performed as a piston should  :D .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 12:55:11 PM »
BUD racing for up to 125's and some 250's are excellent

Offline 125mx.com

• Novice
  • The Bullshits Stopped
    • View Profile
    • 125mx.com
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 05:12:56 AM »
Ive used Prox for 30 years, until a couple of recent failures costing us big $$$'s, and finding out there not all made in Japan anymore, some made in China or Maylasia or something. Both failures where ring locators coming out after a few hours. Since then I've been useing Mitaka, a budget brand I Know, but I had been told there actualy manufacturerd in the same foundries as a lot of other more expensive brands ! (All I do is make sure I get the Japanese made ones) And we have not had any problems whatsoever, they even come with quality RIK rings too. So for now our bikes will carry on with these, albeit we change topends after a max of 10 hours. A piston kit costs us just £30 thats about $45. Wossner are very cheap here too, as are Namura's. I have not used either of those and dont know anyone who has, Vertex has the market share I'd guess and their excellent but expensive.
If it aint broke, fix it till it is

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 07:44:14 PM »
I,m in Ohio give me a po# and I,LL  get 46,000 lbs. of pistons for yous from Wiseco. The wiseco gp piston is more,but it last longer in 125,s than the pro lite. SRS piston are super good for 125,s, but difficult.

Offline MMS

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 01:09:28 AM »
Since then I've been useing Mitaka, a budget brand I Know, but I had been told there actualy manufacturerd in the same foundries as a lot of other more expensive brands !

Mitaka is like an "own brand" name for a company called Grampian Motors here in the UK, I've been using their pistons for years in both customer engines and any of my own when necessary, scooters, quads, road bikes, and of-course moto-x. I've had no problems at all with them in that time and on top of what I've used myself I've also supplied a lot of them through the shop and again have not been made aware of any problems. Then again as mentioned above, they are made to the same standards (or maybe higher) than most of the other stuff so why should there be a problem.

Oh, and relative to a thread elsewhere, for the past 3 or 4 years I've also been using their con-rod kits (same brand name) and have been having the same results as with the pistons. I've a 490 Maico engine of my own to re-build in the next few weeks and will be using a Mitaka con-rod kit in it with no hesitation.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 11:06:26 AM »
I've used Mitaka rod in my 82 and there is one in my 86 now.  Euro Rods and even Koestler sells Mitaka rods.  Funny if you look at Mitaka as the source you don't trust it, but when it comes from someplace like Euro Rods you do :) 
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline snowboarderro

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 02:04:18 PM »
i have mitaka hot rod and had piston for kx 250 but i'm not using anymore,

i use vertex

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 03:28:51 PM »
This is all that's available for older maicos
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline MMS

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 01:56:20 AM »
Funny if you look at Mitaka as the source you don't trust it, but when it comes from someplace like Euro Rods you do :)

Well I s'pose it's different for me as I buy direct from Grampian and have spoken to the boss quite a few times as it's not unusual for him to be answering the phone and taking orders, so I judge them as a company to deal with in the round rather than just a name on a box.

The boss knows his stuff, isn't just very fussy about where his own products are produced but knows where all his competitors products are produced and therefore what he has to compete against. Speaking to him definately inspires confidence in what he sells but at the end of the day it has to do the job as well, which happily (so far!) it has.

PS, I believe that until there was a kit specifically for them, people used a slightly modified YZ490 con-rod kit in the Maico engines which gave a choice of manufacturers. The option to do this would obviously still be available as an alternative to the Mitaka kit.