Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: F.1 Factory engine option, as new Era dawns for Maico.  (Read 5325 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: F.1 Factory engine option, as new Era dawns for Maico.
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 10:42:26 PM »
I'd be curious to know what my 250's first gear and primary look like.  I'm not curious enough to split the cases to find out, but I do know that it has trouble pulling ordinary starts in first gear.  You can really tell that they wanted the rider to launch the bike with a lot of fanfare and horsepower, rather than pulling out of camp for a ride.  I'd like to see how its ratio compares to the new Maicos (although I imagine a new Maico would have much more low-end than the on/off powerband of Big Yellow.)

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 02:47:13 PM »
You can find out without taking the motor apart.  This is typically part of the specs released on bikes, the more detailed specs usually have these numbers, the gear ratios, primary ratios and secondary drive ratios.

I have sometimes been able to search on bikes online and find the information.  If not though, it may be in your manual if you have one or get one.  You can also call a place like Halls Cycles and ask them if they have that information.  Just tell them you want the information to work on what sprockets you need to gear your bike so they may think you will order something later if you think they may not try to help.

The 1983 Sand Spider was setup to race desert so it's very fast and this gearing carried forward for enduro in the following models.  They even made it slightly taller in the later years with 2.28 1st gear (from 2.36) and 1.96 Primary Ratio (from 2.13).

Your options for gearing down your bike are only to change the diameter of your rear tire or adjust the secondary drive.

Secondary Drive:

Cons:
  1. The range of which you can gear is limited by the sprockets produced.
  2. Different size sprockets may wear faster or cause more slack in the chain.
  3. Perhaps at your comfortable/usual speed the drive shaft may be spinning faster than it would need to be if internal gearing was different.

Pros:
  1. Easy to change.

Changing Rear Tire Diameter:
Cons:
  1. Just like Secondary Drive mods this will gear your entire transmission.
  2. Limited to available sizes, essentially 17", 18" or 19".
  3. Most painful to change, not easily fitted to determine if you like it.

Pros:
  1. Able to perform gearing without modifying the sprockets
  2. May produce larger effect as opposed to using the equivlent in sprockets.

Primary Drive:
Cons:
  1. Required to be performed at manufacturing, can't be done by you unless it's being manufactured.
  2. Adjusts the entire transmission, all gears.

Pros:
  1. Ability to reduce the speed of the output shaft for a particular speed.
  2. Adjusts the range at which the secondary drive needs to be adjusted.
     I.E. if this it TOO HIGH, it forces your secondary drive ratio too high in the spectrum.  If it's at a comfortable medium, it allows more flexible secondary drive tuning up or down.

1st Gear (Individual Gears):
Cons:
  1. Required to be performed at manufacturing, can't be done by you unless you can buy other gears or find gears from a different bike which work.
  2. Must be paired smoothly with the next gear, cannot be too spaced or you will not have good pickup when shifting gears.

Pros:
  1. Can adjust single gear ratios to allow for a best mix of tall and low gears to your suiting.

Primary: 66 / 31 = 2.13
        1st Gear: 33 / 14 = 2.36 (5.03 Output)
        2nd Gear: 29 / 17 = 1.71 (3.64 Output)

Changed Rear: 58 / 12 = 4.83
        Stock: 48 / 16 = 3.0

Changed Rear Total: 24.29 Ratio
        Stock Total: 10.92 Ratio

Stock Top Speed: ~115 MPH
        My Top Speed: ~60 MPH (I have a Speedometer, matches my estimates)

1st Gear Top Speed Mine: ~20 MPH (I have a Speedometer, matches myestimates)
        1st Gear STock Top Speed: ~35 MPH

My gearing down works out good for 1st gear, but once you get past second the gears are way too close.  Even though the bike still does 60MPH, the top end gears need to be spaced out more for this Maico to really stretch.  I still never can hit 5th gear wide open where I ride, so it's not too bad, however on the roads I can tell that the higher gears are too close.  The lower 1st is OK, second could be a little bit higher and then 3rd to 5th should be the same.  With a 58 tooth on the back and 12 ont he front
though, if I ever go to terrian I want to increase my speed I can easily pop out the front sprocket on the spot and put in a 15 or 14, it's just held in by a circlip, makes for easy maintaince.

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 04:35:33 PM »
In the early 80's I raced a Husqvarna CR250 in both motocross and offroad events. I installed an OR (Husqvarna OR250) 1st gear assembly in place of the original 1st gear assembly and then adjusted my final drive to allow for 2nd gear motocross starts. The idea behind the very low first gear was that I could use it to drag me out of a tight section no matter how beat I was (in a cross country event).With a 6 speed box I still had plenty of speed for the fire roads and with the close middle ratios it worked well both in MX and offroad.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 03:19:04 AM »
I've been eying the OR transmission.  It sounds just perfect for my needs, because the OR transmission changes the first, second, and third gear ratios only, and leaves the others the same.  I'm perfectly satisfied with 4th-6th, but first is simply too high for comfort a lot of the time, and then I usually find myself going from first to third in the space of about fifty feet because they're so damn close.  I guess there's a reason they called it, "Optimum Ratio."

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?