Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Steel City  (Read 8656 times)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Steel City
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 05:12:08 PM »
Just got home, Windham is my hero  ;D
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline TxTechRedRider

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 05:16:56 PM »
X2.... on Windham.  A class act all around and rides like he's on air.
Go on now, tell us how he did?
07 Honda Cr125.   
Petition signer #61

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 05:24:31 PM »
***SPOILER ALERT***

He took the overall with a 1-2. And was super cool to my nephew Nick in the pits.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 05:41:51 PM »
I actually don't have a voice right now from cheering so much. The first race was really good. Metcalfe rode really good and passed Kevin and then the last few Laps Windham poured it on made the pass for the win. He said on the podium our cheering pumped him up, and when he thinks of motocross that's what he thinks of, the fans going nuts. He was honestly appreciative of the reaction from the Steel City fans. I have not been that pumped up at the nationals since they were dominated my 2 strokes. The second moto Dungey was back out (mechanical early the first race) and he took the win but Kevin held on for second and got the overall.

The 250's Trey took both wins and solid 2-2's by Pourcel. Good racing though. The WMX was better than I expected, Fiolek and Patterson are way faster than I expected. Fiolek went 1-2 and Patterson went 2-1 for the win. The Honda 150 cup was BORING. No offense to those kids but it was what I expected. 2 fast kids and a bunch that looked like they were just riding around. Both the fast kids got rear flats but stayed out which was kinda of cool to see they didn't give up.

There were 3 YZ125's that tried to qualify. I didn't get any good pictures unfortunately I don't think.

Offline motomike894

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 09:12:54 PM »
I actually only say 1 YZ125 it was Brian Shuckhart and he looked good on it, but was way off qualifying pace.

The there was 2 guys riding YZ 250's trying to make it too, one guy #174, something Corbin he was hauling ass the secong practice he was in like 4th the whole thing, but he was still like 4 secongs or something off of making it, which I couldnt believe considering he stayed where he did all practice, then Matt Schaefor was riding one too, hes from Michigan I have raced with him several times, he was just a little off pace of the other 2 stroke guy.

The track was cool, but watching on TV all these years it wasnt as cool in person I thought, its nothing compared to Red Bud let me tell yah!

And my Buddy Matt Schneider that we went with didnt make it either, and he rides a gay stroke, LOL

Offline TxTechRedRider

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 04:56:40 AM »
Thanks for the great information.
Too bad the 2t's didnt make it, this time.
So what do you guys think was the reason?
Was it the 2t riders not fast enough?
Track suited too much to 4t's?
2t bikes not mod'd or fast enough?
What in yous two guys opinions was the reason not any of the 2ts not making the main?
07 Honda Cr125.   
Petition signer #61

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 05:02:34 AM »
Any of the top guys could qualify a 2t but as the tracks have been built(naturally)to suit the 4t's riding them,they would be at a big disadvantage.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 05:18:29 AM »
It's really hard to say why they don't make it. When you watch them, they look fast, they are jumping all the stuff, etc, just like 4T's.

Sorry about in my other post, I meant to type three YZ's (not YZ125's). I was really exhausted last night, I think I went to bed at 10 LOL. I agree, 174 was hauling! I really thought he was going to make it in.

Offline motomike894

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 08:12:56 AM »
Matt Schaefor that was there tryin go to make it on one, he had made many mains before but that was a few yrs ago, and since then he has slowed down, last year he didnt make any mains on his 250f, I would say he was going the same speed on the 2-stroke maybe just a tad slower then he might have gone on a 450.

the 125 looked a little slow in a few spots like next to the start going up that hill with all the big rollers he would get pulled there a bit, but honestly he would not have made it on a 250f either, again I think he might have been just a few seconds lap faster on one.

The tracks are pretty fast in my opinion, I never realized steel city was so hilly.

But I believe that the right person on the right bike could do it no problem.

You need to have a reliable but fast 2-stroke, and someone thats light, focused, and wants it bad, it was obvious that #174 wanted it bad, he was hauling.

But after practice they were towing his bike back to pits, as it appeared to blow up, and to make this dude even more of s stuf he came to the race in a old isuzi SUV with a tiny ass half broken open trailer, if that guy had a faster bike he could make it based on what I saw, but his bike didnt look underpowered really at all but something made it not happen.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 09:02:27 AM »
The tracks are pretty fast in my opinion, I never realized steel city was so hilly.

I realized yesterday I have been going there since 1987. They have changed the layout over the years, but the hills always stay constant.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 06:49:28 AM »
So I got a whopping three pictures of the two strokes that weren't super blurry. They aren't great pics, but here you go:

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 12:31:39 PM »
It,s tough getting pics, then you haveto baby sit your camera and stuff,thanks for posting the pics Coop. I think the guys trying to make the main, may not be used to riding a huge pro track. It would be a good idea to hit the pro-am races, good pay and full gates of fast guys, Millville and Red Bud have quite a few races, besides the nationals. Millville has a good turnout of a riders, the locals are very fast, just like Southwick. Of all the Pro tracks those 2, the locals have an advantage. So if your a out of state rider and can beat, the locals  you should be ready to make the show at a  National. I would also use a stroker crank, carries the power further, and VP112 LEADED.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 01:39:45 PM »
We got a lot of pics, but I managed to screw up everyone of the two strokes but those three, haha. We just use a Canon Powershot digital, but it can take good pics, just not when I am using it, lol. My wife is pretty good with it but she was off getting autographs with our nephews when those guys were trying to qualify.

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 06:49:41 PM »
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline RussellLineman

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Russell Lineman MX
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 07:45:49 PM »
Shuckhart definitley could qaulify on a 250F.  he qaulified on a 250 2-stroke last year twice (in 2 attempts).  and he also qaulified for a few before on a 250F.  he was really riding that 125 in the first session but he gave up in the 2nd one. there was no chance for an on the bubble privateer to qaulifiy on a 125 at steel city, the hills were steep and 2 of the jumps he couldn't clear (and it wasn't because he didn't try, I watched him case them over and over and it was sketchy!) 

It's not that the YZ125 isnt a great bike, but it's no 250f.  bring back 125, 250, and Open and everything would be right. there are plently of hungry pros to field another class and it would bring back a lot of spectators.