Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Older KDX info  (Read 7591 times)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Older KDX info
« on: August 25, 2010, 09:24:55 AM »
There is a guy who wants to trade me 3 KDX's (two complete, one a basket case) for my 1988 KX125. I love the 125 but would really like a little more power for hills. I wasplanning to try and buy a 200 KTM or KDX) next Spring. The KDX's are a 1984, 1988, and the basket case is unknown year to me. The '84 runs, the 88 does not. He says he has all the parts to turn the basket into a complete bike. I will attach the ad.

So are these years I should avoid? I know parts may be difficult to find. I can't afford a new bike right now and Steahly doesn't even make a flywheel weight anymore for my bike so that is why I am considering the trade. Plus I love a project bike. I bought my KX125 as a basket case and my nephew's KX60 as well. I would like a newer bike but I am still considering this deal. I told him I would give him an answer in a day or two.

Here is the ad:

- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Older KDX info
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 10:12:08 AM »
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 04:15:15 PM »
If I am not mistaken, the mid 80's KDX 200 was the only production, air cooled AND powervalved offroad motorcycle available to the public. I would stay away from the old KDX420s (chronic overheating problems) and 250s (rare, poor parts situation). However, for people on a budget you can't go wrong with virtually any of the KDX200s.They are tough,handle well, well equiped stock (big tank, 6 speed ,lights etc.) and have enough power to haul virtually anyone around. I am actually considering purchasing one myself for the stable in the near future.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 04:23:14 PM »
A few years ago a friend had an '85 and it ran really well. It's one reason I am considering this trade. But I need to make sure the '84 really is in good running condition. I need at least one running bike, I can't have three project bikes, LOL.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 04:26:01 PM »
I think KDX's are the VW bug of the bike world.I don't think there's anything you can't buy for them or do to them.Sweet woods machine.The link opfermanmotors posted is your best resource.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 06:24:23 PM »
The Gas Gas 200 is a very nice machine.

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 06:46:43 PM »
I have an '85 KDX200, I bought it almost a year ago for $300. It always started on about the third kick and surprised me with it's performance, unfortunately last time I tried to start it it didn't want too (Still need to t/s it). Lot's of parts available for it.

aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 04:50:11 AM »
Coop,
The KDX's were massively popular here in Oz, the early ones had electrofusion and powervalve issues, but were quickly sorted out. Everyone who's owned one has fond memories of it.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 08:03:49 AM »
The KDX200 is also extremely popular here in the Pacific northwest. I couldn't believe it when I found out Kawasaki discontinued the bike.I mean, what on earth were they thinking?

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 09:05:06 AM »
I keep going back and forth. I like projects, but I would also like a newer bike for performance and suspension options. I have been riding with some pretty fast guys and that's why I looked into upgrading my 125 and learned there's not many options for it anymore. But I suppose I could ride the running one for now, sell off the other bike and parts and then sell the running 84 next spring to go towards the newer bike. I guess I will look at the bikes in person and not just pictures and then decide.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 09:49:19 AM »
Coop this one is a tuff call...  With your knowledge and expertise, I'm sure (given some time) you'd have all three bikes running. But before you swap bikes,  I agree with you, it depends on the condition of the bikes, and another question is are you up for the challenge of rebuilding / restoring the bikes.  Parting out one is an option to raise some cash.  I'd research parts availabilty and look for some forums strickly for the KDX.  I'm sure there's a huge following. Its a tuff decision....  good luck and let us know the outcome.
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 10:25:27 AM »
Yeah I agree. I know I can do whatever works needs done without question. But do I want to take the time and money right now putting into bikes I may not keep for very long. I am trying to set up a time to go look them over/inspect them in person and then I will decide.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 11:30:02 AM »
The real questions are:

1. How desirable are the bikes and what's the resale value?  What's your then cost of rebuild to investment ratio?

No question, with any bike, usually you will put more in than you can get out of it but the ratio of what you can get back and how easy it would be to sell that bike will be different.  i.e. if you put $7000 into a 1988 YZ250 vs. $7000 into a 1981 Maico 490.  The Maico will have larger resale value and sell faster so the loss ratio will be less.  The YZ250 might sell for $1500, the Maico may sell for $5000.

2. Do YOU like the bike enough that it would be worth it to YOU to put the time and effort into the bike.  This is where even if you got the 1988 YZ250, if you love that damn bike so much you put it into your bed between you and your wife that putting $7000 into it is a don't care, then go for it.  However, if you're just "eh, its a bike" then I'm not sure how happy you would be when you have to open your wallete to spend money on it.  Then you add it all up in the end you could have just saved it all and bought a better bike.

The second question is personal preference and no one here can help you there.  It wouldn't be worth it to me as I'm not a big fan of KDX's as I understand they are quite doggish. 

However you mention you ride with fast guys and 125's are quite fast, they don't have the power, but they rev to 12k and can be geared to 65 and even 75 MPH, actually can be faster (top speed not in accelleration) than a 250 since 250's don't rev that high so the same gearing has 250's with less top speed.  You have to keep them at peak revs all the time and they give you more of a work out.  The bigger the bike the lazier you can be.

I don't ride fast unless I'm riding with fast guys, so the big bore allow me to be lazy however they also can accellerate in the blink of an eye and I always love to blip the throttle!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 05:56:10 AM »
Well I don't buy bikes as an investment. I have NEVER considered resale value. I don't care about that, never have. I build up bikes like I like them and if I lose money when I sell them, oh well  :D. I have about $1000 into my 125 now and if I get half that when I sell it I'll be a happy dude.

The 125 is fast and I can ride it pretty fast. The problem is on tight technical hills with ruts, rocks, roots, and a few turns tossed in, the bike doesn't have the low end power, so when you clutch it up it ends up breaking traction because the hit is too violent. If I could put a flywheel weight on it, it would be about perfect but they are no longer made for my bike. On regular single track the YZ250 and Husky 610 I ride with can't lose me. But as soon as we get to those hills the guys have to wait up for me. We ride very tight stuff obviously.

The KDX's I have ridden were not doggish (you really need to ride one before making an opinion about them). They are not race bikes of course. But they make good power for trails. The desert or open fire roads would be a different story.

But I do agree with your one point, my concern is am I going to do this trade and then still want a newer bike in the spring. If that will be the case I think I would rather just keep my 125 for now even though I actually enjoy working on projects. So I think I am leaning towards just keeping my 125.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 08:32:24 AM »
Ya, tight technical stuff would be a problem on the 125.

Someday if I see someone with one I will take it for a spin, but anyone I've ever known to ride them have said they were doggish.  What I mean by doggish is as you say, they are not race bikes.  Last person who got one about a month or two ago sent me this email:

tried out the kdx sunday i went to a track with my mates just to test out the kdx and it went geat bit dead compared to a compotition two stroke but its better than what i expected

A lot of people say they like them, but they just don't have any pickup, which is why I call it doggish.