Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: JETZ and the WR250F  (Read 3081 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
JETZ and the WR250F
« on: August 24, 2010, 09:30:20 PM »
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it's finally happened.  JETZcorp has ridden his first four-stroke bike, and now he's going to tell you about it.

The story behind it is this.  JETZ was coming back from work, and as he was pulling into the driveway he noticed his neighbor's '80s Camaro pulling away, and a new-ish looking Yamaha four-stroke sitting in the driveway.  This was the same neighbor from whom JETZ had bought his 250 Husky, and who had owned a 430 Husky, and an '06 KX250, all of which had been owned for mere months.  Curious, he walked up to the small crowd (two dudes) gathered around the bike, and asks, "New bike?"

"Yeah, dude.  Just traded the Camaro for it.  Bought that thing for a thousand bucks and he gives me this bike that's worth $2500-3000.  Only two-hunnert miles on the little odometer here."

JETZ, noting the steel frame and "WR250F" sticker, asked "What year's it?"

"2004, four-stroke and everything.  New technology!"

"Eh... that four-stroke bit's not really... a... good thing."

"Well it's what they all got now, and it's clean.  Two strokes are nice but they don't make 'em anymore."

At this point, the other neighbor cut in, "Yeah, and they're real dirty power."

"Well hold on, Yamaha's still making basically '05 two-strokes, and KTM is pushing them out, too.

"Yeah, but not very much.  They're phasing 'em out." replied the new WR owner.

"Well they were, but now with this economy they've got a shit-ton of four-strokes piled up in warehouses, and the two-strokes are selling out as soon as they hit the showroom." JETZ pointed out.

"Yeah, that's the bad thing about four-strokes, they're expensive.  Not like that 250 Husky of yours, you can rebuild onna those damn things in like ten minutes for $150 bucks.  This thing forget it."

There was a short silence at this point, and then the onlooker said, "Well come on man, fire that bitch up, let's hear it!"

"Oh yeah, it's got electric start and everything.  But the battery's dead, guess I'll have to just kick it over."

The man got on the bike, bounced the suspension a couple times to get a feel for it, then pulled out the kicker.  The WR fired on the second kick.  After letting the bike warm up for a grand total of five seconds, he put on the headlight (this was happening at 8:15pm) and blubbered down the street.  The onlooker-neighbor looked at JETZ.

"Doesn't sound like he's going for it too hard."

"Well, it's hard to really give it the beans on these short little suburban roads."

After about half a minute, the WR returned, and was left idling.  "This thing is a tractor, dude.  The KX would've ripped this thing a new asshole.  It's more like a 125."

"Yeah," JETZ replied, "they race these things, or the racing version anyway, against 125s.  It's close but the 125 is just a little bit down on it most of the time, depending on the rider.  The enduro versions like this can be a bit more mild, though."

"I bet."

"Hey," said the onlooker, "Can I ride it?"

"Have you ridden a bike like this before?"

"Shityea!  I used to have a Honda CR480!"

"Yeah, in 1980!" the bike's owner sneered.

"Technically," pointed out JETZ, "The first year for the 480 was 1982."

Reluctantly, the neighbor was let on the WR.  "One down, three up?"

"One down, four up.  Just take it easy man.  You wreck that thing and I'm wrecking your truck!"

Struggling with the clutch, and almost killing the bike, the WR awkwardly rolled down the street and into the night.  Half a minute later, it was back.  The rider attempted to find neutral, and killed the bike in the process.

"It's like a tractor, ain't it?  You couldn't hurt yourself on this thing if you wanted to!"

"Yeah, but it's a torquey little beast."

"Wanna give it a try?"  the owner said to JETZ.

"Sure, never ridden a four-stroke before."

JETZ took the bike, and attempted to find neutral.  The shift from first to second was extremely easy, making neutral difficult to locate.  Being used to old Husky transmissions, which had fairly long throws and distinct gears (making it easy to find neutral, whether you want to or not), it took him a while to get it.

JETZ then got onto the bike.  He was expecting the new bike to feel narrow and ergonomic, but was surprised to find that the saddle felt very hard and tended to cut into his legs compared to the old "sofa" style seats he was used to.  But, he thought, the safety seat would be nice through the twisty stuff.

This would also be JETZ' first time starting a bike with long-travel suspension and a kickstart on the right-hand side of the bike.  After two awkward and failed attempts at kicking the thing over, and achieving a greater understanding of why Grandpa Joe fought in the Pacific in 1944, JETZ readjusted and started the bike.  It idled smoothly in the four-stroke tradition.  JETZ gave the bike a couple gentle prods of the throttle, testing how it responded before committing to getting the bike in gear.

He remembered, at this point, someone at twostrokemotocross.com saying that the 250F he'd ridden had a big delay in the throttle.  To test this, JETZ gave it a quick 3/4 twist, and the Yamaha promptly died.  "What in the clear blue fuck was that?" he thought.  If he'd done with with the Husky, it would've not only stayed running, but would've instantaneously hit the red-line and sent all the children of the neighborhood running.  The Kawasaki, more so.

With a sigh, he stared it back up again.  After a few more experiments to give the throttle an accurate reading on the "Thisisfuckedometer," JETZ put it gear and did a U-turn in the street.  He gave it a zap of throttle, noting the tremendous delay before the surge of power that, honestly, felt a lot like the Husky.  After the throttle was cut, however, compression-braking cut in and the bike slowed ridiculously.  "I knew these things did that, but, Johasus!"  He tried shifting it to second, and the result was identical.  Same with third.  The bike was determined to slow it's ass right on down, transmission be damned.  As he pulled in on the front brake, he noticed that it responded about the same as the 390's front drum for a given amount of force applied, and much better than the Husky's front.  However, the lever was quite stiff, and he sensed that with a much harder pull, he would have access to far more braking than either of the others.  In other words, the front brake was a cut above the vintage bikes.  "At least this thing does something better," he thought.

Rounding the 90-degree turn in the street, he opened the bike up a bit in third.  Again, it felt a lot like the Husky would at the same input, just with a big delay at first, and a big slow-down after it was done.  Up ahead was a T-intersection, where the current street ended and met with another.  He used this small intersection to turn the bike back around, shifting down into first.  It was time to see what this thing was all about.

The plan was to pour on the coal and do some speed shifts.  As JETZ hit second, he remembered back to when he'd done the same run on the Husky, and upon watching the video, hadn't hit powerband.  The result had been unspectacular to say the least.  And now he was doing the same thing on this WR?  Come on, let's see what this has for top-end.  So JETZ delayed the shift to third for a while, waiting for some power.  None came.  It's low-end was like the Husky's low-end, and the top-end was like the Husky's low-end.  Where's the beef?!

As JETZ pulled to the driveway before the WR's owner, he pulled in the clutch and said, "Man, you can keep this thing."  He then tried to find neutral, and while he did, the bike committed suicide and died.  No one knows why, the RPM wasn't low, no one was foolish enough to nail the throttle, and the clutch was pulled to the grip.  It just died.  Weird.

"Hey, maybe we can go on a ride sometime and I'll drag race you with the Husky!" JETZ suggested.

"Eh, bring the 120 and we have a deal."

JETZ pondered this for a second, comparing his experience with the WR and his experience with the Kawasaki.  "Sounds good to me."
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 09:40:44 PM by JETZcorp »

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: JETZ and the WR250F
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:54:49 PM »
Sounds like my experience with the rmz 250, crf 250, yz 400f, and drz400, except that I rode these at the track, and got to experience their cornering abilities as well... :-X
I'd rather be riding...

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 11:02:54 PM »
you can rebuild onna those damn things in like ten minutes for $150 bucks.

LOL, that's how much a clutch side case for a old Husqvarna sells for.

In other words, the front brake was a cut above the vintage bikes.  "At least this thing does something better," he thought.

Ya, braking, hydraulic clutch and suspension are really the only things in newer bikes as far as trail riding I've seen that are better on newer bikes.  Compare to the Maicos tho, the engines not so much.  My 86 has disc brakes tho, and I am looking into setting up hydraulic clutch even on the 83 and the suspenion on the 86 was replaced with better than stock stuff.  Although, being an 80s bike, the suspension is not so bad even on the 83. 

Ya, the braking makes it hard to tell wtf gear you are in on a 4 stroke very annoying until you get used to the fact that you just are forced to use the clutch more to prevent it.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 05:54:49 AM »
Interesting experience.

You do realize referring to yourself in the 3rd person is usually considered a symptom of narcissism?  ;D
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 05:58:14 AM »
I'm tired of writing in first-person.  It's been months since my last assignment in creative writing, so I thought I'd take a third-person "hit."

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 08:31:10 AM »
Isn't third person referral a sign of madness? Just kidding!

A kid up the street has an early WR250f and when he rides by, cam chain slapping,valves ticking and piston rattling, I cringe.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 04:20:46 PM »
An older WR250 is a poor example of the breed.It's a shame you couldn't have got a ride on my 550 Berg.Once finished,no lag,no hesitations,easy start,6 spd,100mph.Supposedly 55 hp but commonly dyno'd at 52-53.Regardless of HP,it was a torque monster and weighed in at about 250lbs.4t or not,the thing was a beast and in some ways,I miss it.I guarantee if you ever have a chance to ride a well set up one,you'll be smiling-if only to yourself :)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 05:02:49 PM »
Well yeah, that bike's more than twice the size.  There are very few problems that can't be fixed by engine displacement, if you use your imagination.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »
The WR is going to be a dog in comparision to one of the newer 4 strokes bred for racing.

I rode two YZ250Fs, the newest being a 2006.  They are smooth power and they are responsive.  I maxed out one on 5th gear pretty quick.  Still not like a 2 stroke though, the power delivery is much smoother than a YZ250 would give and the YZ250 makes most of its power up high where as the YZ250F, as is with most 4 strokes, is going to be wider than a 2 stroke.  Although, some reviews of the newer bikes they seem to be getting better at shortening the 4 stroke power band.

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 06:07:23 PM »
Well yeah, that bike's more than twice the size.  There are very few problems that can't be fixed by engine displacement, if you use your imagination.

If it starts hard,stalls,coughs and farts-it really doesn't matter what what the displacement is.If anything,it would be more pronounced on a big bore.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.