Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 4 stroke need to die!!!!!  (Read 2892 times)

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline msmola2002

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: 4 stroke need to die!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 07:54:55 PM »
Totally. I went to the pocono and watkins glen nascar races. Frickin' loud, and gratuitously so. The nationwide cars were a lot quieter! Either way it was completely gratuitous. I plugged my Mp3 player in and started playing tunes to block out the noise.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 01:19:23 AM »
Hey, those things just hum gently by like a pack of kittens, compared to some other four-stroke constructions.  Back when they did top fuel at PIR, you could reportedly hear the cars doing their runs from the house of one of my dad's old friends.  The significance of this was, big Don lived on the river, south of Portland.  PIR is in the norther regions of the city.  So you could hear these cars all the way across the city!  It's insanity, but that's when happens when you have to make 8,000 by firing every-other stroke, and have a V-8 with as much thrust from the exhaust as WWII jet engine.

8000 horses clearing their throat!!

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 05:33:05 AM »
Boring as batshit. Might just be me but I see the whole top fuel thing way over -rated. Fans of them always go on about how fast they accelerate but forget an F1 car STOPS just as quick. An F1 driver drives for 2 hours and will do those decelerations 3 or 4 times per lap, F1 engines run pump fuel and last 3 GP's not 6 seconds.

F1 WARM UP

RED BULL RENAULT

When the NHRA boys can play 'Star Spangled Banner' on one of them big shitboxes I might take some notice ::)

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN (unfortunately not the Sex Pistols version)

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

La Marseillaise

Hmm wonder if they do Khe Sahn when they come to Australia?

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:08:57 AM »
Actually, pure Nitro Cackle has been our national anthem for a few years now. :P

Also, a big part of the reason they top-fuelers only run six seconds, is that the only cooling they have is the fuel that goes into them, and an entire tank would last something like 15 seconds if you were to hold it wide open and wait for it to run dry.  They practically need a fire-hose just to pump fuel from the tank to the carburetor, because they're eating it down about as fast as a Boeing 747.  Throughout the course of a quarter-mile, the gearing will actually get higher, because the diameter of the tires increases so much from the speed.  An entire pass only takes 700 revolutions of the crankshaft.  Each ~900cc cylinder makes as much power as an 8,000cc Bugatti Veyron.  The violence of the acceleration is such that long-time racers have developed serious problems with their eyes, because they were pushed back into their sockets too hard and too often.  When you see one of the cars going down the strip and leaving a trail of what looks like dust, you're actually looking at bits of clutch.  And what's almost the coolest thing about them - they're just modified versions of a production motor.  It's a lot more than, "ooh, fast."  There's so much gnarliness to them, that they ooze personality.  I'm not saying that F1 motors don't, anything that revs to 25,000 is clearly incredible.  Relevant to the discussion, however, they're not nearly as loud.

As for singing songs with engines, a Dodge Avenger can do that.
Dodge Avenger - Deep Purple

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 12:30:59 PM »
My favorite F1 cars are from the Turbo era in the mid 80's.During qualifying they had over 1500hp out of a 1.5 liter V-6 and pushing 75PSI with no wastegates. They ran 94% Toluene and 6% heptane to get an octane rating of 102 which is the max the rules allowed. I just wish they still ran those fire breathing monsters.

Offline CCOADY454

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 01:17:25 PM »
My favorite F1 cars are from the Turbo era in the mid 80's.During qualifying they had over 1500hp out of a 1.5 liter V-6 and pushing 75PSI with no wastegates. They ran 94% Toluene and 6% heptane to get an octane rating of 102 which is the max the rules allowed. I just wish they still ran those fire breathing monsters.

Smokey Jenkins had a few turbo monsters back then for Indy

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 02:11:54 PM »
It's funny how times have changed. :)
Back in th eighties there was nearly a civil war between the french (Renault & Ligier ) and the british teams ( Williams & Mclaren ).
Now Renault are playing "god save the queen"  ;D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 02:25:33 PM »
Jetz thats just CGI. If drag racers develop eye problems they need to look to fitness as a F1 car goes from about 360mph to about 50mph  in  90m at Monza.Whats a Top Fuelers 270ft speed? Would that make your eyes bulge out? They do that for 2 hours non stop ,year in year out.
While the turbo's spun drive shafts through 360deg, they were not terribly fast around the track, a driver had to square off the corner to much and wait til the car was pointed in a straight line before giving it the boot.