Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Unadilla update  (Read 8610 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Unadilla update
« on: August 19, 2010, 02:45:17 PM »
Finally had the heart to write something....

http://projecttwo50.com/2010/08/unadilla-update-2/
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline fabbo

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Unadilla update
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 03:03:07 PM »
I really feel for you guys, hope you can resolve this port scuffing scenario, very surprising as to the sophistication of the engine. I am sure you will work this out.

Fab.

Offline keeptwostrokesalive

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 03:08:31 PM »
Keep up the the great work and go get em at southwick.

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 03:21:47 PM »
I can understand your dissapointment, but this is all part of the learning and development curve, and will make you better in the future. Go back and get everything ready for Southwick, and come out and exceed anyones expectations at Southwick. I, and everyone here has complete confidence in you guys. As they say, third times a charm !!!
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 03:22:37 PM »
Thanks for writing that John. While we understand how disappointed you guys are, pick your heads up and move forward! There will be setbacks at the start of any project, especially one as huge of an undertaking as Project Two 50.

Piston scuffing is caused by excessive heat, which often times comes from either lack of oil in the fuel or lean carburetor jetting. If you have ruled out the mix, look towards the carb before the next race.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 04:28:08 PM »
Thanks for the report John.I won't throw in my mechanical opinion as the usual causes are well known but given how you guys are running the engine,the cause may be something altogether different.That said,unplanned mechanical failure with an unknown cause is a great opportunity to learn more.In a twisted sort of way-I live for that crap.It's odd it hadn't happened previously and I can just imagine how much more likely it would be at Southwick.
Regardless,we all appreciate the tremendous effort of everyone involved with Project 250.
If you don't manage to qualify for any this year,or blow up at all of them-you've disappointed nobody that matters.
If you give up-you disappoint many.
Thanks again-and go get 'em 8)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 05:56:55 PM »
What the hell, $h!t happens and it happens to the best of 'em. Live and learn and come back fighting. You're gaining more ground every day, keep up the hard work ... any more words of encouragement needed? 
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 06:00:50 PM »
At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, that some changes will have to be made. It is impossible to keep returning to AMA  Pro level meetings and failing to qualify,  goodwill,finances and morale will dry up rapidly. My advice would be to step back to the next rung down of competition. Then seek to completely dominate that competition. This will give you a chance to become a cohesive team effort both technicaly and operationaly, without the added pressure of the big time spot light.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, that some changes will have to be made. It is impossible to keep returning to AMA  Pro level meetings and failing to qualify,  goodwill,finances and morale will dry up rapidly. My advice would be to step back to the next rung down of competition. Then seek to completely dominate that competition. This will give you a chance to become a cohesive team effort both technicaly and operationaly, without the added pressure of the big time spot light.

Which is exactly my idea with the Candadian motocross racing series. The team could work out the bugs, and gain a lot of progress. That said, I think you should continue on with the AMA races, you are already in two races, so you may as well finish the next ones planned. Good luck!
I'd rather be riding...

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 05:25:05 AM »
Thanks for the update John, we all appreciate it.  Also, we all know that this is a work in progress and that there are bound to be set-backs along the way.  As long as you learn from them and keep on pushing, good will come.  I no way do I feel that Project Two 50 let anyone down!!!  That bike is going to be a monster at the 'Wick!!

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 06:14:32 AM »

I'd disagree with that.The exposure alone would only happen at this level.Besides,why strive at mediocrity.Cherry picking proves nothing.Besides,the team certainly has the look at the races of a professionally run effort and this can only benefit the cause in the long run.
Having said that,I'd love to see them run the Canadian nats,just because I could see them at Riverglade :)
Keep us updated please on what you find with the engine John.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline G-MONEY

• Expert
  • LET'R BUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 05:34:50 PM »
I Hate sounding like a dick, But like last time when the clutch cover broke I stated  can we get some spare parts? I would be will to contribute to the cause!!! Years ago my brother and I raced snomobiles on kind of a semi pro level and we had extra jugs, pistons cranks,and heads on hand and yes we had situations just like dilla and with the right parts we were always back in the game.Hard luck is always waiting to bite you in the ass... Nothing is easy especially racing
"Everthing's the same just slightly different"

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 06:59:42 PM »
Tall order but I think a broken in full race backup engine is needed. No way to rebuild that fast. One more expense to add to the learning curve. Think about it, the factory rigs are loaded with any part or component so nothing can slow them down except a failure during the 2 moto's. Project 2 fifty can't have all that but will need an engine, forks, and shock the same calibur as the race bike as backups. Duct tape will keep the rest of the bike in the game. I have so many stories about how duct tape saved the day.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 08:22:08 PM »
Yep,spare replica engine and suspension.So if you guys want to get donations of $15,000.00 together the team would happily purchase these parts i am sure.Thanks in advance for the contributions.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 09:32:21 PM »
That cylinder was lined with MicroBlue, right?  And you managed to scuff that?!!  Jesus, that bike must have been ripping holes through space-time in order to accomplish something so incredible.  My knowledge is limited, but I hear that the incoming gasoline and oil itself does a lot of heat absorption, and I'm thinking that maybe jetting the bike into unexplored territory might have been the downfall, particularly considering the leaf-blower test that tells us the mix ratio is okay.  But of course, Project Two-50 has people much more knowledgeable than I working on these things, so I guess there's not much input I can provide that hasn't been thought of before.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?