Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Maicos - The Rare Years  (Read 21547 times)

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
Maicos - The Rare Years
« on: August 16, 2010, 07:28:59 PM »
Very rare to see a Maico in the 1984 to present range.

Blue Maico
Maico gm 500 test run
Maico gm 500 test run

1986 Maico
1986 Maico 500

1990s Maico with black plastics
Maico 500 Ktm 250 T3 Syncro

~2000's Maico
2008 Maico 500

2009 Maico 700
Maico 700 - Liwa Desert UAE
Maico 700 first ride- Tachyon xc cam

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: Maicos - The Rare Years
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 07:43:17 PM »
I can't say I've ever seen a Maico of those years "in the wild," so to speak.  I've only ever seen two in total, and those are the '86 that my dad owns, and the '90-something that my uncle bought (and never rode once before selling at a fraction of its worth, nice job Johnson).  Next time the '86 gets brought out, I'll definitely have some good footage to present to the world.  In fact, we're eagerly looking forward to presenting what that thing can do, because it is simply the fastest bike in the garage in almost all applications.  In acceleration, it is unmatched.  In braking, it's up with the best on a dry day, and is number one in the wet.  In handling, it's got second place, and in top speed, it will only lose to the Huskies and the Big Horn (which is geared to work on the freeway).  When this is all added up, although it's not the absolute best in every single category, the overall package makes it simply the best-performing bike of the collection.  The fact that it starts like a 250 just further adds to the greatness.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 07:48:55 PM »
For sale, there was a 1991 250 Maico two years ago on Portland craigslist for like 500 dollars.  I almost got it but decided not to since I was already rebuilding several bikes.  There was also a 1994 500 for sale I talked to the guy about, I forget what state.

I've also seen 1997-1998 Maicos for sale in Pennsylvania and another state.  Some were still in the crate.  There were several 2000's Maicos for sale in Pennsylvania also, some still in crate. 

Last year I also talked to a guy in Seattle who had a 2004 Maico 500 I was considering, He wanted 4 or 5 grand for it.  I ended up deciding against it and never went to see it.

So they are around, but rare to see any videos at all of them. 

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 07:51:45 PM »
My 1986 should be ready for next year.  It handles great but the Suspension and Brakes aren't stock, they're all aftermarket and setup real nice.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 07:57:19 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot the suspension.  That's another category where the '86 pretty much lands a second place, behind the 390 Husky.  We suspect that someone did some modification to the forks on that thing, because they are so perfect, so smooth, and so flawless, that the rider simply has absolute confidence on that bike.  You always think they're too soft because the ride is so smooth, but when you get back you always find there was another inch that could be used.  The '86 doesn't quite come up to that supernatural standard, but it does measure up to anything else we have to compare it by.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 08:58:46 PM »
but when you get back you always find there was another inch that could be used.   

Your not up to that again, are you ? :P
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 10:02:20 PM »
What can I say, I've never found a hole that I can hit that will use all 12 inches.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 10:07:36 PM »
What can I say, I've never found a hole that I can hit that will use all 12 inches.

I've got that same problem Jetz... we're not talking bikes anymore are we?
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 10:12:17 PM »
I'll leave that up to History to decide.  Knowing how good historians are at figuring out what conversations meant in the past, they'll probably interpret this as a discussion about Obama or something. :P

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 10:17:46 PM »
Perhaps you guys never met Lisa Lampanelli.

Speaking of internet Archaeologists...

Internet Archaeologists Find Ruins Of 'Friendster' Civilization

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 11:40:24 AM »
After seeing those video's of the 2009 Maico 700 Opferman they got me pretty psyched up! I'm going to give that man in PA. a call and see if he still has any of the 500's left in the crates.I really doubt that he does but I don't think it would hurt to give him a call tomorrow just to see.I'm kind of afraid that he still may have 1 or 2 left and if they're the 500's I may have to take a trip up there and make him a offer! I think he told me a few years back that they had the older Bing carbs on them but to get one for the right price it would'nt be a big deal to go find a Keihin carb to put on the ol' Maico! I'll call up there tomorrow & let you know if he has any of the crated Maico's left just in case you might want to know what he has I'll let you know on this site.... ;)

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 03:07:34 PM »
I tried to look for the contact information I had a while back but couldnt' find it.  Will be interested to know if he still got stuff there available.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 04:22:42 PM »
I did leave a contact number & address somewhere on this site but I was'nt sure if the phone # was still good or not? I will go ahead and find the info I had and call this evening to see if the phone # is still valid but I probably won't get ahold of anybody tonight so I'll definetly call back tomorrow for sure & let you know..... ;)

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 04:27:00 AM »
I tried to look for the contact information I had a while back but couldnt' find it.  Will be interested to know if he still got stuff there available.
Hey Opferman sorry I did'nt get back to you last night but I called my contact # for that shop in Erie,PA @ about 8:05pm & the guy actually answered the phone so I told him my first name & asked him if he was still selling crated Maicos' & he said yes I am a Maico dealership so then I asked him what years & what sizes does he have and he started to tell me & then all of a sudden he told me his other line was beeping & could I hold on a couple of minutes? I said sure no problem.So I held on the line until 8:30pm & then I got back on my computer to let you know that @ least the #'s still valid but by 9:00pm the guy called me back & he said what is it your looking for & I told him the newest year Maico 500 that you have still in the crate so he preceded to tell me that he had 1982's,83's a 95 two 98's and a 03 plus acouple of older models together in the shop & then he started to tell me that I would have a hard time finding a Maico as new as a 2003 for less than about 9 to 10k so I immediately told him that Maico International was asking just a little more for 2010's & 2011's & he had never heard of MI so I explained them to him the best I could & asked him how much for the 03 in the crate & he said that he would have to get $6000.00 so after hearing that I was relieved & I asked him his first name & he said just call the shop I'm the only person here. So I told him I would be in touch & that I'm very interested in the 2003!Anyway I'll give you the contact info- Nagares Enterprises
1616 Sassafras Ln.
 Erie, PA 16502
Phone# (814)456-1292   ;)

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 07:40:24 AM »
Ya, that's what I remember, $6k for the crated one.  The 98's I think he wanted $4 for the uncrated and $5 for the crated.

So you going to pick up that 03?