Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Oil Drain Plug literally stripped away "PLZ HELP!"  (Read 6454 times)

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
Oil Drain Plug literally stripped away "PLZ HELP!"
« on: August 11, 2010, 08:49:10 PM »
The previous owner of my bike said his brother tried to change the oil on it once and he stripped the hell out of the bolt and OMG he did!
Not only is the nut part stripped but the little spanner like ring around it has been etched and gouged at... Anyways. Me and my brother tried EVERYTHING to get it off with what we had in the garage and nothing worked... We finally went to our local Home Depot to get a screw/bolt extractor we brought it home drilled a hole in the oil plug and put the extractor in and twisted and twisted then all of the sudden SNAP! goes the extractor "And this thing was made of tempered steel" A much harder metal than the oil plug. Anyways. I have no where else to turn the bolt itself is literally almost gone.  So i figure i will have to take it to someone to have it machined out or something like that. I live in Lakeland Florida and don't know who or where i should take it. And help would be nice. I would really like to be able to change the oil  ;D

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Drain Plug literally stripped away "PLZ HELP!"
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 09:09:23 PM »
Hi
  Sears and Homedepot sell stripped bolt or not extractors they work great no drilling,they are like a socket you put it on a impact and it works pretty good. What bike is this on?
Motocross is a real sport all the rest are just games

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 09:15:42 PM »
Yes, I tried an extractor from home depot "No drill Required" And the stupid thing snapped. Now it is stuck in the damn oil drain plug.  >:(

The bike's a 2004 YZ250 btw.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 09:52:03 PM »
Your not having much luck are you ? :(
Not sure if there is the room but you could try a pipe wrench.
I hate it when someone fucks up a bolt head and still puts it back in  >:(
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 09:59:09 PM »
If it's a steel plug you can have a new bolt head welded to it and use that for removing
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline RideRedMx2

• Expert
  • HRC FACTORY RACING
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000301824082&ref=profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 10:32:23 PM »
Or maybe try cutting a slot in the drain plug and using a hand impact screw driver to get it out.....I've used that before on other bolts,never a drain plug but it might be worth a try  

Honda CR-250R #2.....Vet Class
CycleNation Powersports...Cycle Center Of Denton...HRC Factory Racing

Offline Chris2T

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 06:28:07 AM »
ah yes, the old "stripped bolt head with snapped bolt extricator thrown in for measure" routine, know it well. my last attempt before i brought it to a machine shop would be like RideRed said, file a deep slot and try using a screwdriver on it. But i think you'll wind up bringing it to the machine shop, there's all kinds of tricks they use, like heat or freezing it.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 06:37:56 AM »
Just the obvious, but did you try vice grip pliers? Usually if you set them so you REALLY have to crank down to get them to lock on it will work. I have owned many bikes with either stripped drain bolts, or stripped filter bolts (on older Honda street bikes).

If not I would do as riff suggested and weld a nut to it. But I have welding equipment in the garage and I wouldn't have to pay anyone.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 07:04:17 AM »
We tried pretty much every single method. Now i am thinking just drill the sob out and have it tapped.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 07:10:18 AM »
Ok now for obvious question #2, are you 100% you guys are turning the right way? :D

Honestly the vice grip method has worked dozens of times for me. You have to have them so tight it feels like either the pliers will break or the bolt head will crush before they lock on. Do that and apply some light heat and I would be money you could get it out. I only ever had to weld a nut onto two drain/filter bolts in all my years of wrenching on bikes.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 07:19:48 AM »
I would try RideReds idea first & if you don't have any luck with that try & find a slightly larger sized nut & have someone with a stick welder weld the inner part of the nut to the oil drain plug & use a socket with a breaker bar to torque the oil drain plug off and hopefully the threads don't get stripped in the process! Even if you don't know anybody with a welder I don't think a local welder would charge too much to essentially tack weld a nut to the outside of a drain plug...Good luck getting your problem fixed & hopefully it won't cost ya an arm & leg to get it taken care of.... :)

Offline paulx66

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 08:12:47 AM »

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 08:13:15 AM »
A friend of mine had this happen on a used '02 YZ125 he bought, ended up having to buy a new engine case, not cheap!!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 08:19:05 AM »
Well worse case is you drill it out and have a time-sert or helicoil installed. There is a coil in my KX125. I didn't install it the PO did. It works fine and doesn't leak.

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 09:56:30 AM »
Ok now for obvious question #2, are you 100% you guys are turning the right way? :D

Honestly the vice grip method has worked dozens of times for me. You have to have them so tight it feels like either the pliers will break or the bolt head will crush before they lock on. Do that and apply some light heat and I would be money you could get it out. I only ever had to weld a nut onto two drain/filter bolts in all my years of wrenching on bikes.

lol i considered this.  ;D As long as "Lefty Loosey, Righty Tightey" applies then we have been doing it right :D I'm going to lunch here in a bit and stopping by a couple stores to get some stuff along with some Vice Grips. I'm determined to remove that sob of a bolt  ;)