Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Was Just Reading A Old Article About ATK's Version Of Maico.  (Read 2980 times)

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
Was Just Reading A Old Article About ATK's Version Of Maico.
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:22:17 AM »
 I just found an old magazine article that I printed off of the net sometime around 2000 entitled "MAICO LIVES".I'm pretty sure it was out of Dirt Bike magazine but it was basically a test ride of the ATK-700 Intimidator & ironically Frank White the main man @ ATK was one of the two test riders.
 Towards the end of the article entitled "What A Great Airplane Motor" the other test rider(not Frank) said "It was like nothing I had ever ridden.It's kind of hard to describe,but just imagine having all kinds of power without any RPM.The motor would pull hard but when you opened the throttle for a big hill it would'nt necessarily do anything different.It would just keep droning along at the same RPM regardless of throttle position,engine load,uphill or downhill.In order to accelerate you would just upshift.Downshifts were strictly optional.
 "The 680 motor is actually kind of mild" said Frank.It's very easy to ride,but it does'nt rev much.The 500 has less torque but it revs.The 620 does both.It's a brute.That's the one to have if you want to go racing.The most impressive part about the ATK/Maico was how civil it was.There was very little vibration.not much engine noise,the clutch had an easy pull and the shifting was fine. The article goes on to say that Maico had all the stuff figured out in the"80's".Especially on the Open bikes.
 After reading that old article again just the other night,I thought to myself, "Damn,it sounds to me like ATK's version of the Big Bore Maico's are a far cry from the new versions from Maico International and they even sound weak compared to the all German Maico's that were still being made at the same time that ATK's version of the Big Bore beasts were! All I can say is I hope when Maico International's Maico's get here in the U.S.A. that I can afford to buy one before I get to old and to sick to take a few 100 blasts on one..... :P

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
Re: Was Just Reading A Old Article About ATK's Version Of Maico.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 01:01:11 PM »
It would be neat to read that article. Yeah, I think everyone here would get the 700 today if they had the money, I know I would. Of couse I would probably see about scrapping the old YZ plastic, etc.

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 02:37:32 PM »
I know the older Maicos' and ATKs' used Yamaha plastics but Maico Int. version of the new Maicos use Acerbis plastics. :)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:24:22 AM »
Lot's of folks talk about the fact that the Maico uses existing plastic... why is that so bad? It keeps costs down.

Besides... there are rumors that the plastics will be different for 2011...
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 09:31:06 AM »
Lot's of folks talk about the fact that the Maico uses existing plastic... why is that so bad? It keeps costs down.

Ya, I don't know why they just quit looking at improving the engine and suspension and things, they should just invest heavily in tank graphics and cool plastic designs.  That's where the true performance is to be gained!

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 09:36:54 AM »

+1. I don't know why. I love KTM's but hate the plastic and if I ever buy one I will change at least that awful ugly front fender. So what's the big deal? If I liked the new Maico's performance I wouldn't let the plastic sway me.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 10:41:23 AM »
Because the correct plastic is worth 1-2 seconds a lap. ::)

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 12:32:32 PM »

I certainetly don't care what brand of plastic fenders or number plates that Maico uses because I have'nt yet seen a Maico 2-stroke dirtbike that I have'nt liked yet.Ever since about 1982 my parents and I were riding down to WV. to watch some of the Blackwater 100 and on our way down there I seen two Maico's in the back of a Ford pickup truck & before that I've only seen them in magazines but after seeing a couple right next to me & also at Blackwater I've loved Maicos' ever since.Early in 1984 I bought a Maico 490 mega-2 and I only kept that beast until I turned 16 or 17 and back then I only weighed about 135Ibs soaking wet so I stupidly sold the Maico 490 for $750.00 and used the money to buy a Remington .270 deer rifle w/a leupold scope!
 I really hate to think about that too much because IMO that was the epitomy of stupidity on my part but all I can do now is wait until another big bore Maico comes out that I can buy... :-[

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 05:59:53 PM »
Hey, there are dumber things that could've been done.  My dad once had the opportunity to buy a Hemi Challenger for something like a thousand bucks, but passed on it.  Today that car would net you six digits.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 06:11:35 PM »
Thats happens to lots of people.
Hindsight is a bitch.

I turned down Holden Torana XU1 back in 87 for $8k.
Today they are worth $100k +

If you dont know what it is google it.
They were a 6 cylinder race car that bet all the Chevy & Ford V8's.

Oh well  :(
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough